Apr 22
Name That Plume

A couple of weeks ago, I was home sick from work. I won’t say I was avoiding my WIP, but in fact I did a lot of extraneous computer activities, one of which was to google my name. Is google a verb? I think so. Anyway, I did find my actual self quite a few times, and also some surprises.

I am not the Maggie Robinson who has completed an alarming number of Scientology courses. Sorry, Tom.

I’m not the character in a British TV comedy show about a dysfunctional family called “The Robinsons.” I did used to have the Mary Engelbreit poster that advises “Let’s put the fun back in dysfunctional,” but I digress.

I’m not the Maggie Robinson who also lives in Maine and plays fiddle with the Westcutogo Ramblers.

I’m definitely not the Maggie Robinson who holds a Ph.D. and has written about noopept and such, a zillion health and diet books, two of which are 1000 Powerful Stategies to Sharpen Your Mind and Good Fat vs. Bad Fat. I need to buy both of them.

My husband John also has a common name. The football coach. The bishop. The drummer. The Pulitzer Prize winner. The serial killer. And the terrorist, which always results in the suspicious looks, full pat-down and luggage search anytime we fly anywhere.

If I’m published, I’d like to keep my name. I don’t think anybody’s going to mix me up with the carb-counting Maggie. I’d be shelved near Nora Roberts too.

How about you? Ever googled yourself? This post is a friendly reminder that EVERYTHING you write on the Internet can come back and nip you in the posterior. Renamed yourself? What did you pick and why? What would you name ME in case I need a nom de plume? All suggestions welcome.

21 comments to “Name That Plume”

1. ERiCA
     · April 22nd, 2007 at 10:38 pm · Link

LOL. I’ve googled myself, too. I’m all over the place, because I use my real name for both my writing life and my day job. If I pick a pseudonym now, it might be like locking the barn door after the horses run away… *g

2. Lindsey
     · April 22nd, 2007 at 11:21 pm · Link

I’m not the Lindsey Faber who runs cross country, nor am I the LindsAy Faber who is apparently a journalist. I’m also not the Lindsey Faber who plays guitar at her church but whose emails about practices always come to me, and I’m not the Lindsey Faber who was surely disappointed when someone bought The Pricess Diaries 2 off her wishlist and gave it to me instead!

I love your name, Maggie – and it means romance, right? Clearly your fate is sealed! 😉

· April 23rd, 2007 at 12:11 am · Link

Hi Maggie,
    My last name is Smith. Most common name in America. When I google myself all kinds of Amazing and Shocking things come up. To Really Find Me (or at least a 5-years old remnant of a past me) you have to google Rev. Melinda Smith Portland Oregon.
    I have only had to spell my last name out for someone once in my life–I think I was ordering something on the phone. That’s the good part. The bad part is–well, it’s the most common name in America!

4. Tessa Dare
     · April 23rd, 2007 at 2:28 am · Link

Oddly enough, I seem to be the only “Eve Ortega” and “Tessa Dare” out there. There’s a “Tessa Dare Magnum” that comes up in some Irish alumni records, and a painting called “Les Jambes d’Eve” by an artist named Ortega that Google sends back. But mostly it’s just me – my writing stuff and book reviews I used to write for a library journal that are now on Amazon and various other sites.

5. Tessa Dare
     · April 23rd, 2007 at 2:30 am · Link

Oh wait – I stand corrected – I’m not the “Eve Ortega” who apparently knows some stuff about computers. Definitely not me.

· April 23rd, 2007 at 10:32 am · Link

My real name, both first and last, are so unusual that googling it produces only hits that relate to me or some family member (near or distant). The pseudonym that I have chosen (on the off chance that I will ever need one)produces only references to some school girl.

“Janga,” on the other hand, seems to be extraordinarily popular. I am not the Janga who has written on Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization for Optimal Reservoir Operation, nor the one who has written on the conservation of gene order. Neither am I the sinister Janga in a video game, nor any one of those young Jangas who exist on myspace. I am not the Janga who writes in Japanese, the 44-year-old lyricist, the soccer player, or the corporate executive. I definiely am not the “Life Size Cardboard Standup Janga Fett from Star Wars Episode 2.” Who knew there were so many Jangas?

7. beverley
     · April 23rd, 2007 at 10:49 am · Link

I googled myself and found that my blog was second not the first that came up. First was a story a Beverley Kendall at a radio station trying to raise money for a little boy (I think it was a scam)so definitely not me! I’m not the horse rider who was knocked unconscious for 15 minutes and then taken to the hospital. Oh yeah, and I’m not the Beverley who takes pop star pictures.

· April 23rd, 2007 at 3:21 pm · Link

Well, when I do my full name “Frances Colley”, I show up dead on a lot of family trees. No surprise there.

If I google with my nickname “Fran Colley”, I get my website where I work…and strangely a woman, with my name, who got credit for cooking for a group at CatusPatch. Hmmm.

This is also fun. http://www.howmanyofme.com/search/

With my full name, there are 20 of me in the USA.

· April 23rd, 2007 at 3:25 pm · Link

Oh, pen names–

Well, my history teacher in High School always said I had a name for romance novels. (Nice, huh?) Frances Marie Colley….but he’d also say, Francois Collier–I guess he thought all romance novelists needed to be French.

If I need to assume a name, I was going to go with: Callie Sinclair. Sinclair is a family name, and the Callie would be a “pun” sorta off of Colley.

· April 23rd, 2007 at 4:21 pm · Link

It’s funny but I just thought of this last week while driving down the road. I was in radio for many years and never bothered to change my name (which is unusual for radio personalities) I was either in a small town where everyone knew me anyway or I just didn’t use any last name at all in a larger market.

So I never put much though into a pseudonym for writing. I googled my real name and didn’t get many hits but there are a few others out there. Not one that popped up was me. I didn’t google my nickname but I guess I should. I would probably find me that way. Not that I’m lost….

So, anyway, I came up with the name Lilly Wine. Wine is my paternal grandfather’s last name and my maternal grandmother was named Lillian. So they would both have meaning, I think they have a nice ring for contemp light romance (which I write) and when googled I didn’t get anyone else.

11. Ericka Scott
     · April 23rd, 2007 at 9:48 pm · Link

Hmmmmm. . . I use my “real” name for my mystery writing. Lots of hits on Pam Skochinski’s show up and yes, more than likely it’s me. I’m even the one who wrote a cancer research paper with a group I worked with years ago.

Now, Ericka. . . lots of hits that aren’t me. I’m hoping to change that soon!

12. Ericka Scott
     · April 23rd, 2007 at 9:52 pm · Link

Oh! I went out to see “how many of me” there are.

There are ~39 Ericka Scott

But NO Pam Skochinski — the last name don’t even show up. Heck ~ I don’t exist. Although the disclaimer says:

Using the same statistical fallacy this site is known for, that means about 81% of people will have both names on the list. In a mathematical coup our scientists have determined from this information that about 19% of people will have either one or both names missing from the list.

“I think it’s important not to take it as a rejection of you personally.”
    Gabriel Caine — Diggstown.

13. Lenora Bell
     · April 24th, 2007 at 12:47 am · Link

What a pretty picture–where did you find it?

I think Maggie Robinson has a lovely ring to it and you should keep it.

There aren’t too many Lenora Bells out there, but I am definitely not a pillar of the Mennonite community in Ohio.

· April 24th, 2007 at 6:29 am · Link

I’m loving reading who we all are NOT, and I keep thinking Lilly Wine must be delicious!

15. lacey kaye
     · April 24th, 2007 at 8:54 pm · Link

Yep, I’m everywhere. But I’m not a gymnast. Though that would be cool.

16. TiffinaC
     · April 27th, 2007 at 8:25 am · Link

I’m not tiff chalmers the painter, nor tiff chalmers the screen writer, and I won’t tell you my maiden name: besides that one is no where to be found (thank god cause I’d pity the person that shared that one with me)! Not a popular name I’m afraid….But I’m using a pseudonym none the less…

17. TiffinaC
     · April 27th, 2007 at 8:28 am · Link

OMG Hellion that is so cool. There apparently is another person with my name…ONE in the US…poor Tiffany (can’t say the last name) what a dreadful name they have! I was anxious to be rid of mine!

· April 27th, 2007 at 9:15 am · Link

Oh, Tiff, now you’ve got my attention. How bad can it be? Clampett? Hussein? Hitler? Bush? *g* My maiden name was Lanman…imagine spelling L-A-N-as in Nancy-M as in Mary-A-N as in Nancy all your life. I was Landman, Lannon, Lemon, etc. until I became Mrs. Robinson….and then of course people write Robertson or Robison. I’ve used Chalmers as the last name of one of my heroes (even before I met you online!).

· April 27th, 2007 at 11:02 am · Link

Well, Tiff says Lilly Wine is too close to lilly white a$$ so I guess that’s out the window. Dang it.

And I know Tiff’s maiden name. It is not nearly has bad as she makes it out to be. For the right price, I could spill….LOL!

My maiden name was Dent. Believe it or not I ALWAYS had to spell that. Was pretty happy to get rid of it but now I realize I went from being a TD to a TO and I should have known that was a bad omen. Turned out the marriage was a fumble…*g*

20. Sara Lindsey
     · April 27th, 2007 at 1:09 pm · Link

Well, I’m pretty much the only person who comes up when I google “Sara Mangel.” I am not the child of Ronald Mangel in the Odenkirk family tree, nor I am the Sara Mangel Voorhees active in Shabbat Peace, but other than that they’re all me.

I’m still thinking about a pseudonym, but I’ve basically decided to wait until I have a publisher – apparently they like to have input.

I think you should pick something really wild for TRR.
    Maggie Robinson writing as DESIREE AMORATA…

21. Mireyah Wolfe
     · August 16th, 2010 at 1:11 am · Link

I’m pretty sure you’re also not the Maggie Robinson who wrote Falling Forward (published by PublishAmerica) despite the book being credited to your goodreads profile! LOL!

If you google my name, you’ll only get me unless you go to the very very last pages–then you come up with stuff that is *definitely* not me! But I don’t use my real name online if I can help it. =)