Jun 14
Eight Is More Than Enough

I have been tagged by several people on this Eight Random Facts thing. There are rules. I can’t follow them. I don’t have eight people to tag because they’ve already tagged me. If I tag them back we’ll all wind up revealing 64 random facts right on up to infinity, which is a sideways 8, as I have previously posted below in Eight Days a Week. Whew. But I will do my quasi-confession, just for the fun of it. You will be astounded and stupefied with the knowledge, I’m sure.

1. I skipped fifth and seventh grades, graduated from high school at 15 and college at 19. For this reason, I always feel like the youngest person in the room even when I am really the oldest. And I’m still smart enough to know I’m definitely not the smartest.

2. I dropped out of an MSW graduate school program when my work study required me to drive a blind social worker around and I didn’t have a driver’s license. She would have been a better driver.

3. I was a Brownie but never flew up. Cookies were only 40 cents a box when I sold them.

4. I was Alice in Wonderland, Katrina van Tassel (Legend of Sleepy Hollow), Miss Higa Jiga (Teahouse of the August Moon) and Stella (Streetcar Named Desire) in school plays and acting classes. No typecasting for me.

5. I have never tried sushi and I never will.

6. I am very distantly related to the painter John Trumbull (Declaration of Independence). In high school, my etching won an art prize. Old John and I could have discussed techniques if he hadn’t been really dead.

7. In college, I was second runner-up to the May Queen. The first runner-up was a professional model. The queen was the most popular girl in the school. I contemplated what I could do to seize the crown (fire ants in the strapless bras, spray paint disguised as hairspray, hiring a hitman, etc.), but I was a good girl. A picture of the three of us was in the New York Daily News and Newsday.

8. I once had lunch with Jackie Kennedy’s half brother and a table full of elementary school kids.

Now, what’s one weird thing you’d like to share about yourself?

12 comments to “Eight Is More Than Enough”

· June 14th, 2007 at 9:53 am · Link

What does “I was a Brownie but never flew up” mean? And that always makes me think of that movie line where the guys says something like “I wasn’t a boy scout but I ate a Brownie once”. Makes me snicker every time.

I’m running out of random facts at this point. Now you want a weird one. That should be easier I’d think. Hmmmm….*thinking and thinking*

I know. I have six fingers on my left hand. Oh wait, that’s not true. Let me try again. *thinking and thinking some more*

Got it. I like bologna and I like bread. But I won’t eat them together.

Sorry, that’s all I’ve got. I told you I was running out…

2. Heather
     · June 14th, 2007 at 10:33 am · Link

A Brownie is a step below Girl Scout. Little girls are Brownies, then they “fly up” to become Girl Scouts. I never flew up, either.

Here’s one weird fact about me: My singing voice is basically a tenor (even though I call myself an alto). When I wake up with a hangover I sound like Lauren Bacall after 2,000 cigarettes. So very not sexy.

· June 14th, 2007 at 11:56 pm · Link

Maggie! Nobody tagged me (::sob::)–so, here are 8 random things about me.

1. I met Elizabeth Taylor.

2. I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever.

3. My photo is in the book “The Search for God at Harvard.”

4. I was a teaching assistant for a sculpture class and supervised lost-wax casting (molten bronze, anyone?) I also learned oxy-acetylene welding.

5. I was a Latin major.

6. I wasn’t a Brownie but I was a girl scout.

7. I saw the Clash open for the Who at Shea stadium.

8. I traveled to the Soviet Union (back when there was one, LOL)

Gosh, I feel so much better with all that off my chest. . .

· June 15th, 2007 at 7:41 am · Link

Melinda, I would have tagged you but I find the whole process diabolical, and you’re a minister. I hope Elizabeth Taylor was wearing lots of diamonds when you met her. That woman has a serious collection of jewels. And you have some fascinating facts!

Heather, Like the above-mentioned Elizabeth Taylor, lauren Bacall is still a very amazing woman. If you’ve got her voice, no doubt you’ll get her vamp.

Terrio, do you even know what’s IN bologna? I bought a bologna sandwich every single day when I was in high school, followed by a box of Junior Mints to cleanse my palate (I guess that’s random fact #9). But I can’t think of those days without shuddering! But then I’m not big on lunch meat anyway…I mean olive loaf? Yech.

5. PJ
     · June 15th, 2007 at 7:46 am · Link

I grew up in Michigan. By the time I was 16 I had been in 25 states and 6 foreign countries but had never been to Ohio. You know, that state next to Michigan?

6. PJ
     · June 15th, 2007 at 7:47 am · Link

Maggie, fascinating facts about you! I’ve really enjoyed learning a bit more about everyone.

· June 15th, 2007 at 9:32 am · Link

Maggie – Did you not see the fact on my blog that I eat raw hot dogs? And bologna is supposed to bother me?

PJ – I grew up in Ohio but I never made it to Michigan until I was in my 20s and that was only for a layover in Detroit. Not ever sure that counts.

· June 15th, 2007 at 11:37 am · Link

You are all such interesting people! It is so cool to learn more about everyone.

BTW, when I met Elizabeth Taylor she was in her Caftan Period–I can’t recall but her hair might even have been wrapped up. I was 13 at the time and she was stumping for Then Husband and Senate Candidate John Warner.

That was THIRTY years ago. Yikes!

· June 15th, 2007 at 12:39 pm · Link

OK, I’ve thought of something really frightening. When I met Elizabeth Taylor thirty-one years ago she was EXACTLY the same age as I AM NOW. Holy cow, she seemed so Old at the time!

10. BernardL
     · June 15th, 2007 at 2:39 pm · Link

I am cursed with the ability to remember every single embarrassing or stupid thing I’ve ever done. On the plus side, I’ve never had to worry about a lack of humility. 🙂

· June 15th, 2007 at 4:08 pm · Link

Melinda, caftans and turbans…not a good look!

Bernardl, I remember mortifying stuff from elementary school and I just can’t let it go…

PJ, you world traveler, you! I’ve never been to Michigan at all, but I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a year (random fact #10). The entire block went nuts for Ohio State/ Michigan games, with same brave residents putting out Michigan’s flag.

Terrio, of course I’m aware of your hot dog affliction. I just chose not to remind myself of it, because, like bernardl, once something is in my mind I never let it go!

12. elyssany
     · June 16th, 2007 at 11:17 am · Link

Maggie, I never knew you these deep dark secrets of yourself! *g*

Another random fact: I refuse to go camping or anything wood-like. My reasoning- there’s a reason why all scary movies have their setting in the woods- killers live there. Plus, can you see me in an environment full of bugs and no Internet? I think not. LOL