Jun 16
Daddy-O

There is nothing so sweet or sexy than watching a guy with a little kid. According to MSN’s Erika Rasmusson Janes, here are the signs to look for if you’re wondering if your man is dad-material.

1. He treats his mother well.
2. He’s selfless.
3. He’s not easily grossed out.
4. He’s a great uncle.
5. He doesn’t mind taking direction from his partner.
6. He likes ketchup.

Now, go forth and multiply! Happy Father’s Day! Any favorite fathers in favorite books?

A father carries pictures where his money used to be. ~Author Unknown

11 comments to “Daddy-O”

1. elyssany
     · June 16th, 2007 at 11:21 am · Link

I love the picture, Maggie!

Favorite fathers in books? Charles Ingalls in Little House on the Prairie series- I thought he was one of the greatest dads.

2. BernardL
     · June 16th, 2007 at 12:14 pm · Link

Imagination, it helps to have a real good imagination. If you can’t imagine the monster in the closet, it’s much more difficult to be there for a child who can. 🙂

3. Sara Lindsey
     · June 16th, 2007 at 3:23 pm · Link

My newest favorite is definitely Damon from Desperate Duchesses – how’s that for alliteration?

4. anne
     · June 16th, 2007 at 8:54 pm · Link

Awww, that’s Gerard’s portrait of the miniaturist painter Isabey and his miniature. A real charmer, is it not?

My favorite fictional father, alas, resides in an unpublished book destroyed by its author, who had come to loathe the genre.

· June 16th, 2007 at 9:40 pm · Link

Mr. Bennett from Austen’s P & P

Robert Tremaine (aka Viscount Barham) from The Masqueraders (Heyer)

Matthew Cuthbert from Anne of Green Gables (sigh)

· June 17th, 2007 at 12:30 am · Link

Revm, I always feel so sorry for Mr. Bennett. I would have killed Mrs. Bennett.

Anne, you smarty pants! I had to look up Gerard and Isabey, which afforded me a much larger copy of the painting which was just divine. Love his face. Love all of him, actually!

Sara, I read DD last week, and already I’ve forgotten who Damon is. Is that sad or what. Must look that up, too.

bernardl, my absolute favorite book is Where the Wild Things Are. The monsters aren’t in the closet, though. 🙂

Ely, I am ashamed to say I never read the books but did watch the TV show. Evil Nellie Olsen.

7. Ericka Scott
     · June 17th, 2007 at 11:18 am · Link

My favorite ficitonal dad was the father in A Wrinkle in Time and the rest of Madeline L’Engle’s series. And now I realize ~ I think I married a guy just like him!

· June 17th, 2007 at 2:12 pm · Link

You know, Maggie, when I think of fathers in the books I’ve read I always think of the stepfathers. The heroes that become fathers to children that are not their own. Those are the ones that always make my heart smile.

Nora Robert’s Bradley (Key of Valor), Harper (Red Lily), Michael (Finding the Dream), Devin (The Heart of Devin MacKade), Jared (The Pride of Jared MacKade), and much more I’m sure I’m forgetting.

Jo Beverley’s Leander (Christmas Angel).

Mary Balogh’s Aidan (Slightly Married) and Syndham (Simply Love).

One of the most memorable father’s I can think of would be Daniel MacGregor from Nora’s MacGregor series.

ITA agree about Mr. Bennett. I know I would have either killed Mrs. Bennett or put a bullet in my head if I were he.

Sara I also agree about Damon in DD. I’m only half way through the book, but I like the way he cares more for Teddy than his reputation.

9. lacey kaye
     · June 17th, 2007 at 8:57 pm · Link

Just watched The Holiday last night. Three words: Jude Law, Father.

HAWT.

I’m in love.

· June 17th, 2007 at 10:33 pm · Link

Lacey, I have two words for you: the nanny. My youngest daughter actually met her last summer; she was working for a rich family vacationing on a Maine island. Jude is cute, though. Loved him in Alfie.

Irish, you have an exceptional memory. I too love good stepfathers in stories…so nice when it happens in real life, too.

Erika, I only read a Wrinkle in Time last year..I’m a little late to the party.

· June 17th, 2007 at 10:42 pm · Link

Oops, ERICKA. I forget you’re not a C gal or a K gal but both!