Oct 11
Watch It

The other day as I was waiting for something to heat in the microwave, I decided to see if I could put my make-up on in the 2 minutes and 36 seconds I had before the ding. Now, my beauty routine, such as it is, is pretty simple: I curl my eyelashes, draw a smudgy brown line under my eyes, apply mascara, blush (when the tan fades) and lipstick. I was done with time to spare. It makes me laugh when I remember walking the mile to high school with my hair in rollers so my hair wouldn’t “fall,” and slapping more make-up on once I got there. We’re talking foundation, under-eye concealer, blush, powder, two-toned eye shadow, liquid eye-liner, frosted lipstick, etc. Holy Hooker, Batman.

Now I wake up early every day and putter around on the computer, but when it’s time to get my derriere in gear, I shower/dress and am out the door in about half an hour. I need the “wake-up” time, though, the luxury of those hours before I have to actually speak coherent sentences and perform proficiently at work. Sometimes I get quite a lot of writing done, sometimes I’m just blog-hopping. Maybe I should be sleeping later, but I treasure the alone time I have between when my husband leaves for work (around 6:30 AM) and when I do (10:00 AM). As an only child, I don’t get lonely. After raising four kids and trying to tame a husband, the house is blessedly, blissfully quiet every morning. And I’m not going to break the spell by vacuuming.

When is “your” time? Do you fritter it away like I do, or fill each hour with purpose?

Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent. ~Ambrose Bierce

Janga is the winner of October’s contest, and can misspend time reading her prize! E-mail your address to maggierobinson8@yahoo.com Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughtful comments on fairy tales and their appeal. I always learn something new!

17 comments to “Watch It”

1. Gillian Layne
     · October 11th, 2007 at 9:06 am · Link

Good morning, Maggie 🙂

My early morning routine is simple–make coffee, feed cats, walk dog, check email. I want at least thirty minute of quiet before I start waking everyone up. After that, I won’t have “me” time again until at least 9pm.

2. BernardL
     · October 11th, 2007 at 9:10 am · Link

I fritter away the time between waking and work… like now. 🙂

· October 11th, 2007 at 10:05 am · Link

Bernard, thanks for frittering with me!

Gillian, when the kids were home, I always got up way before them to sit peacefully with coffee (before I developed an aversion to it) and the newspaper. It was so critical to start the day off quietly. And it wasn’t because I’d even fix them breakfast—I trained them at an early age to serve themselves, bad mom that I was!

4. doodles
     · October 11th, 2007 at 10:10 am · Link

i like to hit the ground running. after many years on family travel I managed to pass this on to two (low maintenance) out of four children and a reluctant spouse who when given the opportunity slugs it out under the covers.

· October 11th, 2007 at 11:28 am · Link

I’m a fritterer, Maggie, but not until I’ve sent everyone else on their way! Unfortunately, I need lots of sleep and can’t get up before everyone else or stay up after everyone is asleep. But I love the time between 9 am and 3 pm when I’m all alone and can pretty much do/read/watch what I want. I seem to spend the rest of the day catering to everyone else.

· October 11th, 2007 at 2:54 pm · Link

Another fritterer here. I just like going through the day, not really doing much of anything until I have to. I hate the feeling of being on the run and needing to do things at a certain time.

7. Ladytink_534
     · October 11th, 2007 at 6:17 pm · Link

I sit outside and talk to my mom and feed the dogs treats almost every day for about 30 minutes.

· October 11th, 2007 at 6:52 pm · Link

Doodles, I, too, can spring out of bed if I must. Funny, when I got this job three years ago, I wondered how I’d ever adjust my life (I was used to being at school by 7:30). I’ve managed, LOL.

Ely, I’m really looking forward to the time when I don’t have to do a thing I don’t want to…maybe NEVER even get dressed.

Ladytink—lucky dogs and lucky mom!

Irish, I remeber the days I sort of had to myself…except I kept having toddlers around (4 kids in 9 years). I’ll plan better in my next life!

· October 11th, 2007 at 10:03 pm · Link

Maggie, my DH knew of a woman (he worked with her at a former job) who spaced her 4 children 5 years apart – deliberately. As soon as one went off to kindergarten she had an infant! Just shoot me now! 20 years of toddlers!

· October 12th, 2007 at 12:10 am · Link

Hey, I won! I love winning. Thanks, Maggie.

I am a champion time fritterer, but in the mornings I am barely functional. I was meant to sleep til noon; I wake up one eyelash at a time. That’s just to get out of bed. Even after decades of being forced to be at work before 8:00 a.m., it still seems like cruel and unusual punishment. It’s best if no one speaks to me for the first hour I’m up. After that, I may manage a grudging “Morning” in response to cheery greeters. I once threw an alarm clock at a roommate who awakened me with a beaming smile and the news that it was a “beautiful day.”

11. Gillian Layne
     · October 12th, 2007 at 7:06 am · Link

Maggie, you crack me up. Yahoo for the self-sufficient child! I have the two oldest (12 and 14) completely able to fix dinner if I ask. Which I do, quite frequently. Hones their skills, of course. 🙂

· October 12th, 2007 at 12:19 pm · Link

I fritter away my morning time by snoozing with the radio on, which clues me with a “Hey, dippy, it’s 7:03 am” and I scramble out of bed, still yawning, dress, and stumble off to the bathroom to brush my teeth and such.

I use my driving time (37 minutes) to wake up and think and whathaveyou. I hussle across the street to my office and plop in my chair, usually around 8:03.

Weekends are frittered away with reading, writing, sewing costumes I’m procrastinating on, and movies.

13. India Carolina
     · October 12th, 2007 at 10:13 pm · Link

I’m afraid I do too much blog hopping! Speaking of which, there’s something very interesting going on at Tessa’s place. 🙂

14. Keira Soleore
     · October 13th, 2007 at 1:04 am · Link

Maggie and Janga: You two crack me up! I’m a fritterer, have always been one and will always be one, I’m afraid, no matter how many new year’s resolutions I make to mend my ways (and break within the first week).

Now, I object to calling blog-hopping, board-noodling, journaling, fixing up website again (and again) as frittering time away.

Frittering is cooking, cleaning, dusting, laundering, chauffering, pretending to attentively listen to family yammer on about their day…

· October 13th, 2007 at 7:28 am · Link

Keira, I’m making an effort not to be such a blog-hopper, but I’m cheating. I lurk now rather thank comment, LOL.

India, thanks for the heads up. Wheeee!

Hellion, who knew you were such a clock-watcher? 8:03? I actually have to punch in and out every day with my handy-dandy ID card, where I look like an ancient hag in the pic.

Janga, love the one eyelash at a time comment. This is why you are a poet. 🙂

16. nearhere
     · October 13th, 2007 at 8:08 am · Link

Hey Maggie! Have I already told you how much I love your blog.

Anyway, I swear I was a farmer in another life (or a fisherperson) because I wake up sans alarm clock by 4am everyday. This is my me time. I like the idea that few others in my cramped city are awake except for the jolly revelers I hear coming in from a late night out. Usually I’ll check email, have some tea, do a little work, watch youtube during this hours that I own when no one is making demands on my time. It feels so luxurious.

Then it’s 7 and I can hear morning activity outside and my tranquil hours are gone until the next day.

· October 13th, 2007 at 8:18 am · Link

Thank you, Nearhere! I find YouTube totally addictive and am afraid I’d never get to work on time if I watched in the AM. I even got sucked into watching all the Phillipine prisoners dancing to Thriller, etc. I am in awe of peoples’ creativity (not necessarily talking about zombies in jail, tho. *g*)