Nov 25
Girl Power

The Spice Girls are touring again. Their concerts are, unbelievably, selling out. For those of you who don’t know, they were a manufactured band in the nineties, kind of like the female Monkees. Like the Monkees, they managed to rise above their faux origins. Little girls across the world were dancing and singing, “I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ha.” Huh?

Here’s a scene from their 1997 movie, Spice World.

Spice Girls: We’re the Spice Girls, yes indeed. Just Girl Power is all we need. We know how we got this far… Ginger Spice: Strength and courage and a Wonderbra! Spice Girls: Would this work with only one? Baby: Just with me I have no fun. Spice Girls: Would this work with only two? Scary Spice: We need more for what we do. Spice Girls: Would this work with only three? Sporty: Three’s a crowd, bad company. Spice Girls: Would this work with only four? Posh: No way, girl, we need one more! Spice Girls: Listen up, take my advice – we need five for the power of Spice. Give it up, give it out, take a stand, scream and shout! One, two, three, four, five – Spice Girls!

Here’s the Robinson five, taken a month and a half ago on my birthday. Sadie’s a bit young and out-of-it, but her mom and evil aunties will teach her all they know about zigazigging and everything else. They are what I’m thankful for, and what I really really want.

So tell me what you want, what you really really want? Where do you get your Girl Power?

Thanks to everyone who gave thanks, giving and thanksgiving! All your poetry was prize-worthy. Hope you had as much fun writing as I did reading. RevMelinda said “Not only do you have a beautiful blog, but you have the best commenters in the blogosphere!” and I couldn’t agree more. Special thanks to Haven Rich. Terrio, you’re November’s winner! Please send your snailmail address to maggierobinson8@yahoo.com

27 comments to “Girl Power”

· November 25th, 2007 at 6:41 pm · Link

Maggie, your family and you are gorgeous!!!! Abby looks so much like you… I wanna be part of the Robinson clan. *stomps foot* Somehow, I just know that there’s lots of talking and laughing going on in that house.

And we get to see the real Maggie—now where’s Mr. R??

· November 25th, 2007 at 7:32 pm · Link

LOL, Ely, my husband always makes silly faces when he gets his picture taken and I don’t think I can find one where he looks “normal,” not that he is *g*. Thanks. I think my girls are pretty cute. L-R: Jessie (#2), me, Abby (#3), Sarah (#1) and Sadie. My son is handsome too, but in Florida. 🙁

You know you’re an honorary Robinson girl.

3. Marnee Jo
     · November 25th, 2007 at 8:16 pm · Link

Maggie, your girls are absolutely beautiful, as are you! 🙂

I only have one son so far and he’s only one, but I give you such props for having four. My mother had three and if I didn’t think she was superwoman before having my own son, I do now.

So, having four must make you a SUPER, superwoman. LOL!!

· November 25th, 2007 at 8:40 pm · Link

I won! I won! What did I win? Oh wait, who cares! I won! LOL! Sorry, I’ve been driving for two days and I’m a little stir crazy.

That picture is fabulous. I wanna be a Robinson too. You’re all about one more aren’t you? AND, I come with a ready made granddaughter. See, two for the price of one.

Now, what do I really want? At this moment, a chauffer so I never have to drive again, anything that will make this headache go away (hurts to walk!) and a very comfy bed – but I’ll settle for mine. *g* If you could throw in a little sumpin, sumpin to share that bed with me, I’m sure together we could get rid of this headache.

5. Santa
     · November 26th, 2007 at 1:17 am · Link

What a gorgeous family you have! I remember another picture you posted that included your son.

You look exactly like I thought you would. In fact, I kinda think you look like your librarian cartoon. And don’t worry, that’s a good thing! We can tell where your girls get their looks from!

Congrats, Terrio! Glad to hear you’re home. I hope you’re tucked in by now.

6. Lenora Bell
     · November 26th, 2007 at 2:34 am · Link

Oh what a lovely picture! You all look so glowing and beautiful. Sadie is such a sweet name, I absolutely love it. She’s lucky to have so many wonderful women in her life.

I didn’t know the spice girls were touring again. The things I learn on Maggie’s blog. Sorry I didn’t do your Thanksgiving poetry contest, my laptop was stolen and I was without internet for awhile.

I have one sister and two brothers. My sister is my best friend and eternal source of girl power. I’m thankful for sisters.

Yes, we want another picture of your son! He’s in Florida, so I think we’ll get to see a little leg, right?

7. Tessa Dare
     · November 26th, 2007 at 3:15 am · Link

Maggie, what a beautiful picture! I never had a sister, and I’m envious of all that girl power Sadie has behind her.

Now I’ll recognize you immediately when we meet up in SF, right?

· November 26th, 2007 at 8:37 am · Link

Ha, Tessa, unless I’m wearing my glasses, I won’t recognize YOU, so it will all be up to you. Santa’s right, I do look like my librarian pic, except, as I’ve accurately confessed, I’m not that thin. *g*

Lenora, I never had any sisters and brothers, and it is a continuous source of joy to me to watch my girls together. Of course, I do remember some doorslamming and screaming when they were younger. And the horror of no internet access! I have a blog post planned for that myself. With statistics. So you can learn more, LOL.

Terrio, you too can be an honorary RGirl. And I love granddaughters! Wish I could help with the headache and the chauffeur…but my son is newly single. He’ll kill me if he reads this, but he does have nice legs and everything else.

Marnee, now that I’m (a lot) older, I wonder how I did it too. Believe me, it wasn’t super most of the time!

· November 26th, 2007 at 1:32 pm · Link

Really? Your son is newly single? Do we send our resumes to you? *grins* Does he like pirates?

I wanna be part of the Robinson clan. Fine English name, it is.

I get all my girl power from my friends here on the world wide web–and outside my backdoor–Sin, Pam, Holly, Susan, et al…I have a friend for nearly every occasion. 🙂

· November 26th, 2007 at 3:48 pm · Link

What a beautiful family, Maggie!

I come from a big family and love it! Unfortunately, I wasn’t brave enough to re-create that for my kids! I’m a woman who knows her limitations and two was pushing it!They have tons and tons of cousins, though.

My girl power comes from my sisters and my girlfriends. There is nothing more powerful than women united! My mother, who is 81, still has close bonds with all her girlfriends from grammer school. She says it is due to growing up in wartime where men were few and far between. Her girlfriends were her family, her confidantes, her support and a lot of times her strength. Now they are all widows and it’s only women again and they are having a ball! It’s a sight to see and a great lesson to learn. Girlpower is very powerful indeed.

· November 26th, 2007 at 6:05 pm · Link

Hands off her son, Hellion!

Oh God, I see another Bachelor coming up… poor Maggie’s son, he’s going to move to another continent.

· November 26th, 2007 at 7:22 pm · Link

Irish, how great is that about your mom? I still have one friend from grammar school (she introduced me to my husband actually), several from high school, but oddly enough, nobody from college that I still keep in touch with.

Hellion, Chris lives in Key West, where modern day pirates abound! You and Ely and Terrio can fight over him.

13. MistyJo
     · November 26th, 2007 at 7:39 pm · Link

Maggie, you and your girls are beautiful, and your smiles radiate a true bond of love. Your husband is one lucky man to have three generations of beautiful females surrounding him! And if you have room for one more honorary daughter, I would love to apply, too. 🙂

As for what I really want, I want another week off for Thanksgiving.

14. MistyJo
     · November 26th, 2007 at 7:44 pm · Link

Oh and my girl power comes from my daughter. From the time of her birth, I have prayed for many wonderful things for her, and she’s motivated me to want the same things for myself.

· November 26th, 2007 at 9:39 pm · Link

Three generations of strong, beautiful women, Maggie! Lucky Sadie.

Sisterhood–biological and emotional–is the source of much of my strength. My RL sister is one of my closest friends, and my bff has filled the bff role since we were five-year-old failures at tambourine tryouts for the kindergarten rhythm band. I have several friends from grad school days who also help me soar again when I am too long earth-bound. I have church friend who inspired and supported me for decades. And now I have all these cyber world friends who share the romance reading and writing space in my life that until a couple of years ago was a lonely spot. Hurrah for sisterhood!

16. Gillian Layne
     · November 26th, 2007 at 10:49 pm · Link

Awww, Maggie, that picture just tears me up (sniff). My girls are 14, 12, and 8, but I can just imagine the time when they’re grown, and we have a new baby as well…

I’m off to find a tissue… 🙂

· November 27th, 2007 at 8:36 am · Link

Gillian, my girls are all three years apart, my son being 2 1/2 years older than the oldest girl. 4 kids in 9 years, but then we finally figured out what we were doing and put an end to it all. *g*

Janga, sounds like you’ve got every area covered! You are so lucky.

Misty Jo, I can never have enough daughters. You’re all adopted. Now go clean your rooms. And mine too.

· November 27th, 2007 at 10:31 am · Link

*Ahem* I believe she offered him to me first. And technically, between the three of us, I’m closest. LOL!

My daughter is a font of girlpower. She’s more girly than I ever was and she makes me want to be more like her. I do hope one day I can have one more and though I’d be happy with a healthy child, I really want another girl.

Watching her grow up is the most amazing thing I’ll ever do in my life. Being able to say I had something to do with how she turns out will always be my greatest accomplishment.

· November 27th, 2007 at 10:45 am · Link

Oh, Terri, now it’s my turn to cry. I feel just the same way.

· November 27th, 2007 at 1:36 pm · Link

*passes Maggie some Kleenex*

I forgot to say thanks to Irish. Thanks, Irish. *g*

21. Santa
     · November 27th, 2007 at 9:38 pm · Link

This, my cyber-sisters, has all the makings of a fab Christmas novella….I’m just sayin’.

· November 28th, 2007 at 7:48 am · Link

Santa, I like the “cyber-sisters” deal. Now there’s some girl power!

· November 29th, 2007 at 3:05 am · Link

Maggie, my kids have been hogging the computer (research papers, imagine!) so I haven’t been able to get on here and tell you that your 3 generation photo is marvellous! I don’t have a sister, but I do have 2 daughters, and there IS just something special about the “sisterhood” that results. Perhaps one day I will know the joy of granddaughters, too (I can wait 10 years or so, though). Congratulations on your gorgeous family!

· November 29th, 2007 at 8:56 am · Link

Thanks, RevM. You’ll just have to get them their own computers!

25. Keira Soleore
     · November 29th, 2007 at 4:08 pm · Link

Life in your family looks like a ton of laughs, practical jokes, and excitement. Little does li’l Sadie know what she’s gotten herself into…

Please, please, please, can I belong to the Robinson clan, too???

26. Keira Soleore
     · November 29th, 2007 at 4:12 pm · Link

Talking about girl power in pop culture… I didn’t learn about the Spice Girls or the Cheetah Girls till I started watching Dancing with the Stars this fall. And I found out about Hannah Montana from my preschooler two days ago. Hubby and I have thrown up our hands and have implicitly handed our education over to tiny, chubby hands. (And I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. What was I thinking????)

· November 29th, 2007 at 4:28 pm · Link

Ha, Keira, I learn more from my kids and highschoolers than I do from my peers! Talk about being a life-long learner…