Dec 8
Three’s Kind of Crowded

Okay, confession time. I’m branching out in my reading adventures. Thanks to buzz on the Internet, I’ve read Louisa Burton’s House of Dark Desires and Jane Lockwood’s Forbidden Shores. Both books feature ménage a trois situations, something my middle-aged mind doesn’t quite comprehend. I just remember a modern dance class I took in college. We were several young women and two male football players, who were encouraged by our avant garde teacher to crawl all over each other to music (“Pretend you are ants on a discarded piece of fruit.” “Pretend you are litter of puppies.” “Pretend this class has meaning for your future and I’m not a complete nutjob.”). I think the boys liked it but I felt kind of suffocated. Way too many arms and legs and other stuff. And I was fully dressed, wearing a black leotard and tights, genuine Danskin if memory serves.

Threesomes—hot or not? And does it matter whether it’s MMF or FFM to you? Are you reading naughty stuff like I am? Please comment anonymously if the subject freaks you out like it does me. A random commenter (who may privately reveal him/herself) will receive a very gently-read Forbidden Shores ($14.00 U.S./$16.50 Canada value!), which besides sex has slavery, scandal, sea travel, sand and lots of other stuff. There is an actual plot. Mrs. Giggles gave it a keeper rating at http://mrsgiggles.com/books/lockwood_shores.html

(Ms. Lockwood also writes as Janet Mullany, the author of the hilariously witty The Rules of Gentility. It’s on my Books I’ve Loved Lately list.)

Come and knock on our door….. We’ve been waiting for you…… Where the kisses are hers and hers and his, Three’s company too. Come and dance on our floor…… Take a step that is new….. We’ve a loveable space that needs your face, Three’s company too. You’ll see that life is a frolic and laughter is calling for you…… Down at our rendez-vous, Three’s company, too!

20 comments to “Three’s Kind of Crowded”

1. BernardL
     · December 8th, 2007 at 10:30 am · Link

ménage a trois

Possibly exciting in fiction if well written; but hedonistic shallowness in real life,

2. Gillian Layne
     · December 8th, 2007 at 1:13 pm · Link

You know what? I don’t even have to think about this.

Nope, not for me.

I brought home a few of these books from conference, read them, and passed the rest on. Now I have no doubt some contain brilliant writing, and I’m sure Jane Lockwood must; I just love her. But it crosses a line from romance to the sexual relationship taking center stage and that just doesn’t do it for me.

3. Ladytink_534
     · December 8th, 2007 at 11:22 pm · Link

Fun in fiction (Laurell K. Hamilton comes to mind) but not really up my alley.

4. Anonymous
     · December 8th, 2007 at 11:46 pm · Link

I agree 100% with Gillian. It crosses a line. There is no love, no romance, just sex.

lol, Maggie, on “pretend this class has meaning for your future and I’m not a complete nutjob.” I had a few professors like that!

· December 9th, 2007 at 11:06 am · Link

I agree with all of you that I’m content to leave the threesome in fiction.*g*

Ladytink, I’ve never read LKH. I know she has a rabid following and anti-following, if that makes any sense at all. If you were to pick one of her books to recommend, what would it be?

Gillian, envious of those free books, even if they were not exactly your cup of tea!

Anon, funny thing is, I’ll always remember this crazy woman, so maybe she was onto something. Or on something.

Bernard, love your refreshing point of view (I heard every man’s dream was a hot date with blonde twins).

6. Lindsey
     · December 9th, 2007 at 12:37 pm · Link

Not only do I find threesomes hot in the right circumstances (fictional, of course!), but I’ve also read some that I thought were quite emotional and romantic. Lacey Alexander (Toni Blake) does really wonderful menages that manage to be totally about the couple – their desire to share new experiences, to fulfill each other’s fantasies and to overcome sexual insecurities.

My pet peeve is people – including authors who write it! – who spell it menage a trios.

· December 9th, 2007 at 3:04 pm · Link

I think I’ve read one scene like this and it was actually three men and one woman. It was ok in fiction but I have no interest in RL.

I was amazed when, at our local conference in November, an editor said the big thing right now is five men and one woman. They are flying off the shelves! Who’d a thunk? I can’t even think of how to keep that many people busy.

8. TiffinaC
     · December 9th, 2007 at 3:16 pm · Link

I like them, but then I’m more liberal than most ;)… but I still only want two characters at the end of a book. Lacey Alexander has a menage in one of her sin city books (french quarter) I believe.

I like reading just sex, as long as characters grow from it. 😀

9. BernardL
     · December 9th, 2007 at 3:38 pm · Link

(I heard every man’s dream was a hot date with blonde twins)

No, it isn’t, Maggie. I’ll tell you why. Yesterday, I was out playing baseball with my son, and my five year old grandson (my daughter’s boy), while my wife of thirty-one years and daughter made Christmas cookies (usually, my daughter pitches). A man can’t have my yesterday, and pursue a ménage a trois as some ideal in real life. Even as a much younger man, I found one woman complicated enough for me at a time. 🙂

· December 9th, 2007 at 3:57 pm · Link

Aww, Bernard. You are my ideal guy (don’t tell your wife or my husband). Actually, we all probably have a lot in common, thank goodness!

Tiff, I’m with you with just the couple at the end, although I know some books keep the threesome at the end. That messes with my mind. And who’s the daddy?

Terrio, those books are sounding more and more like a basketball roster…

11. Ladytink_534
     · December 9th, 2007 at 4:22 pm · Link

Almost all of LKH’s books are part of her two series, the Anita Blake (mainly vampires and lycanthropes) and the Merry Gentry (faerie series). If you are to read any of her books I suggest you start at the beginning like I did. Since I recently finished a book in the Merry series I would have to suggest that. The first book is A Kiss of Shadows.

· December 9th, 2007 at 6:41 pm · Link

LOL, Lindsey. I haven’t read Lacey Alexander either. Must expand my horizons. Thanks, Ladytink, for the rec.

13. lacey kaye
     · December 10th, 2007 at 4:06 am · Link

veerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra eeeeenteresting post.

I love what you’ve done with the new site!

· December 10th, 2007 at 7:26 am · Link

Lacey! Great to see you! Yeah, Haven Rich did the site and it’s too pretty and professional for my writing, LOL.

· December 10th, 2007 at 10:40 am · Link

I haven’t read a menage a trois story yet, but I wouldn’t be opposed to it. I think it would have to end with just the couple at the end like Tiff said.

As for RL no thank you! As for the 4-5 people at once, that does sort of sound like a basketball team, Maggie. That would definitely fall under the “too many cooks…” category.

· December 10th, 2007 at 6:33 pm · Link

I’m with Tiff–Eden Bradley and Lousia Barton (whom you’ve mentioned) write some really good erotica. I read the Lockwood book–I had more problems in believing in why these characters would fall in love with the other; the only one who seemed well-developed was Allan. I totally agree with Mrs. Giggles review of the book.

I’m more liberal than most though like Tiff–I find Anais Nin’s writing to be quite beautiful.

17. Santa
     · December 11th, 2007 at 2:10 am · Link

I have to say that I really liked ‘Forbidden Shores’. It was a great story and the menage a trois was a verra interesting twist on things. I did like how that story ended.

It was only the second menage I’ve read. The first one was a book ( I can’t remember the title) by Emma Holly. At the end of her book, there were three people who ended it up together and it didn’t set well with me. Like you said, who’s the daddy in that case.

So would I be one of those people buying those mutiple couples, er, coupling….No, it’s just not for me.

18. nearhere
     · December 11th, 2007 at 9:29 am · Link

I’m a fairly open minded reader and as long as the threesome makes sense and is interesting to explore, I’ll read it. I read a lot of Ellora’s Cave stuff and many of those situations make little sense… of course there are exceptions. I just finished Shayla Black’s Decadent and it was probably the best menage book that I’ve read. The relationships between all the characters are complex (something important to me) and the reasons for the triangle as well as the affection they all have for one another are well developed. I really enjoyed it.

· December 11th, 2007 at 9:47 am · Link

Yeah, Irish, I’m almost too square to read about them—forget about RL!

Santa, I thought FS had a whole lot going for it besides the sex, too. I’ve never read Emma Holly but have heard a LOT about her.

Ely and Nearhere,I’ll try Eden Bradley and Shayla Black when I find the urge to test my comfort zone again. Thanks everybody for the recs!

20. Tessa Dare
     · December 11th, 2007 at 5:13 pm · Link

LOL at your dance class, Maggie!

I haven’t read a whole lot of menage, but I’ve read some MMF. I find it hot in the fictional sense – it’s the idea of not one, but TWO guys who are just out of their minds with lust for a girl, I guess. I do have a really hard time believing in a three-person romantic HEA. Those feel a bit silly.