Jan 31
2008
Northern Heat

You know I get my philosophy straight from fortune cookies, even though I actually dated a philosophy major in college and took the required courses. One of my favorites is “Ignorance on fire is better than knowledge on ice.” I’m about to prove that right.

I’m hot. Well, maybe luke-warm, but a handsome fireman at hand is never a bad thing to extinguish the self-immolation.

I placed first in the East Texas RWA chapter’s Southern Heat contest in the historical division! The book is Waking Beauty, a tale of a sweet young woman who supports her niece and an impoverished viscount who needs an instant family so he con his old aunt out of some money. This was the second book I completed (more than a year ago), long before I knew about POV and GMC. The editor who judged the SmartlyHeated contest will now read the full manuscript. This is exciting, but also scary. Much revision looms ahead because of the vast quantities of ignorance flaming throughout. The book is so hot my eyeballs are on fire. Say your prayers for me that I can reacquaint myself with Penelope and Dominic. They both have good bone structure but their clothes are sadly shabby.

And they must remain fully dressed, as the publishing house I’ll submit to states “There is no graphic or premarital sex or sexual tension in any of our novels.” Amazingly enough, Penny insisted on remaining a virgin until the last chapter, even after Dominic had married her! Some of the secondary characters were naughty, but they’ll be going south anyway—I have to cut about 20,000 words.

So you know what I’ll be doing for a while. How about you? Are you entering any contests? Dating any firemen or philosophers?

13 comments to “Northern Heat”

· January 31st, 2008 at 10:14 am · Link

Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Maggie! Based on the excerpt from Waking Beauty that you have posted, I think you have great bones to work with, and I am sure you will clothe them elegantly. I look forward to reading the book. 🙂

Thanks for providing the Sebold revision link. It’s a great article.

· January 31st, 2008 at 10:29 am · Link

Way to go, Maggie!!!! That is awesome. What a way to start off the new year. Congratulations. I can’t wait to go to Barnes & Nobles searching the “R” section for Robinson, not too far down from Roberts!

· January 31st, 2008 at 1:12 pm · Link

Congratulations! This is great news!!! I can’t wait to hear more about this…..

· January 31st, 2008 at 4:13 pm · Link

That link is hysterical! Love it. And Whoohoo! to you for the contest win. Still funny (as someone else pointed out) that Southern Heat contest = no heat in book. LOL! Oh, the irony.

I know you’ll whip this bad boy into shape. Slash, burn and mend, my friend. Contracts on the horizon.

· January 31st, 2008 at 6:57 pm · Link

Thanks, guys! I thought the revision link was very amusing. And of course, timely. Off to slog through the next chapter…

· January 31st, 2008 at 9:14 pm · Link

HURRAY MAGGIE!!!!
    –Huge hug–
    I want to read the whole thing! (Love the beginning. . .)

Melinda

7. seton
     · February 1st, 2008 at 4:06 am · Link

Congratulations, Maggie! What wonderful news! I’m very excited for you.

· February 1st, 2008 at 6:59 am · Link

Seton! You’re back in circulation! I was wondering—no doubt there’s a long and interesting story. Thanks for stopping by.

RevM, you really wouldn’t want to read it right now.;) But if I clean it up all sparkly, I’ll send you the file!

9. BernardL
     · February 1st, 2008 at 6:31 pm · Link

Nice go, Maggie. I entered the Delacorte Press YA novel contest, but I won’t hear back about it until April. I have an erotic romance novella in an Amber Quill Press contest too, and I only have to wait until March for the results. No matter what you do in writing, it’s always a matter of months, even most rejections. 🙂

· February 2nd, 2008 at 3:22 am · Link

Congrats on finaling!!! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

I know it’s not the most fun thing to do revising and cutting your novel, so I definitely set out to reward yourself. Like a day at the spa or something equally decadent.

· February 2nd, 2008 at 11:20 am · Link

Bernard, I thought I was a woman of many genres—YA and erotica? You go, guy! Good luck w/ the AQP—once they like you, you’re in for life. The only time they open their submissions is for the contest you entered.

Ely, I’m going to settle for taking the chipped red nail polish off my toes this weekend! Things have gone really well with the revision, much better than I hope. The book doesn’t seem quite so fiery anymore. 🙂

12. nearhere
     · February 3rd, 2008 at 1:11 pm · Link

Maggie, I’m so incredibly excited for you!!! This is wonderful news. I’m sure whatever you write will be wonderful. I still remember one of your early drabbles featuring dwarf tossing and now you’re winning RWA contests. I couldn’t be more exited!!

· February 3rd, 2008 at 2:09 pm · Link

LOL, Nearhere—I remember that dwarf thing. Hanging my head in shame! Thanks. I’m pretty excited. It was just the nudge I needed to finally revise this thing. Now I’ve got 2 books with the same title—the clean and the dirty version!