Mar 3
2008
D-U-N

Yes, I do know how to spell “done.” This is a tribute to my youngest daughter who, when she graduated from college Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude, taped those three letters to her mortarboard with masking tape. It was her birthday the other day, and she’s never far from my thoughts. None of my kids are. Here they are (#1 son is missing), so nobody gets jealous. The birthday girl is on the right.

But I wanted to say that Waking Beauty is all boxed and ready to go. It went from a 93,000 word mess to a sleek 67,000 word manuscript. Whatever happens, it was worth the month of revision. And while I’m at it, Paradise is getting its turn next. I was somewhere in the middle of revising it when I had to whip WB into shape, and the difference in my writing style and content could not be more different. My only hope is that when I’m finished, I’ll still remember how to write new stuff. There are a whole bunch of starts on Begin As You Mean To Go On (Goon, for short) that are clamoring for those sultry, significant words The End.

So I guess I’m not really d-u-n. But I am trying to stick to one and get it done. How about you? Do you have more than one work in progress? Do you read more than one book at a time? Do you give yourself permission to walk away from writing for a while, or stop reading altogether?

14 comments to “D-U-N”

1. Marnee Jo
     · March 3rd, 2008 at 10:29 am · Link

Hooray!! Great job Maggie!! I’m so happy for you!

🙂

I’m just about “dun” with the revision portion of moving forward on mine. I rewrote/revised 150 pages, dropped it to 90 that I could use, rewrote them and added. I’m at 120 again and I’m feeling good. 🙂

2. J.K. Coi
     · March 3rd, 2008 at 11:40 am · Link

Yay Maggie, congrats on finishing Waking Beauty!

· March 3rd, 2008 at 3:49 pm · Link

Hey, there’s no quote at the end of the blog. Where’s the quote? LOL!

I’ve only finished one short story but it was a nice little rush. I need to finish something bigger and get a bigger rush.

Congrats on finishing and getting it sent off to it’s destiny. LOL! Now, get a move on with the other stuff. I need them to distract me from other stuff. *g*

· March 3rd, 2008 at 4:20 pm · Link

Terrio, my own words aren’t good enough, LOL? Look for a quote next time, maybe. Not sure what the topic will be yet.

Thanks, Marnee and Kris. Heaving big sigh of relief. Of course I dropped the box in the snow as I stepped out the door this morning when I slipped on an ice patch. Doom.

· March 3rd, 2008 at 5:10 pm · Link

Yay Maggie on finishing WB!

I love being D-U-N with a work… it’s a heady feeling.

And now I get to S-T-A-R-T with a new one.

It’s a cyclical thing.

6. BernardL
     · March 4th, 2008 at 10:39 am · Link

“Do you have more than one work in progress?”

Yea, I’m usually working on at least two. For some reason, working on new stuff keeps me going.

“Do you read more than one book at a time?”

Yes, and I must finish anything I start. 🙂

“Do you give yourself permission to walk away from writing for a while, or stop reading altogether?”

I never stop writing for very long, but I do run out of time on the reading far too often lately.

· March 4th, 2008 at 11:32 am · Link

YEAH, MAGGIE!!!!! Congrats!

I don’t usually read two books at a time unless one is disturbing me or boring me. And I give myself permission for so much these days it’s not even funny! I have to start putting some more restrictions in there or my house will never be clean again!!

P.S. Your girls are beautiful!

· March 4th, 2008 at 12:52 pm · Link

I read more than one book at a time…but it’s usually a FAVORITE book versus a NEW book. If the NEW book didn’t hold my attention, then I start reading the FAVORITE.

I have several WIPs going on all the time. I usually only work on one or two of them.

Mostly I give myself “permission” to nap incessantly and that skips all this stuff about sharing my attentions between multiple partners.

I’d always rather just sleep. *LOL*

9. MistyJo
     · March 4th, 2008 at 3:08 pm · Link

Way to go, Maggie! I wish I had you will power to finish…well, anything.

As for reading more than one book at a time, I rarely tax my brain in that manner. I had my fill of reading numerous novels at one time in college. My lazy self is enjoying the “not having to think so much” part of life now. Too bad that my guilty self hates my lazy self most of the time.

· March 4th, 2008 at 7:32 pm · Link

Bernard, I used to be a good girl too and finish a book once I started it, but I’m ditching them left and right now. Am incredibly fussy and not buying a lot of authors I used to. Of course my lovely Ely sends me her cast-offs, so I’m still reading a lot, plus going to the library.

Ely, I’m so looking forward to writing something fresh once I revise Paradise…

Irish, I really can’t remember the last time I did a super-serious housecleaning. Things are straight but probably somewhat dusty. And thanks—my girls are kinda cute!

Hellion, I read several things at once too. Right now I have a book for my teen reading group (depressing as hell—that’s not the title but it should be), plus a Nora Roberts. I usually have a “lunch” paperback in my handbag too.

Misty, my lazy self has completely taken over, and I don’t feel a bit guilty!

· March 4th, 2008 at 7:47 pm · Link

Maggie, those Robinson girls are lovely. I hope the birthday girl had a wonderful day.

I usually read several books at a time, but rarely are the books in the same genre. I find it less confusing that way. Since I have a horror of being stuck somewhere boring with nothing to read, I always have at least one book in the office, in the car, and in my purse in addition to the current read and the next half dozen TBRs on my bedside table.

And loud cheers for the completed revisions. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

12. Kelly Krysten
     · March 6th, 2008 at 6:58 am · Link

Congrats MAggie. What a tough hurtle to cross!
    I’m nowhere near ‘dun’.But I’m happily(sometimes!) trudging along!

· March 6th, 2008 at 8:11 am · Link

Kelly, I have a feeling even when you’re dun, you’re not dun, LOL! I read about an author who says she never rereads her stuff after it’s published because she’d want to rewrite it.

Thanks, Janga. Like you, I have books stashed in different places. The horror of not having one to hand!

14. Keira Soleore
     · March 8th, 2008 at 10:50 am · Link

Great job on Waking Beauty. Now comes the next one.