Mar 20
2008
Book Report

Nope. Can’t write an actual book report anymore. All these clever people who review books get my respect. But I cannot follow in their footsteps. For me reading is much like my travel experience—I know I’ve enjoyed myself but cannot remember what I ate for breakfast or what the castle’s name was. Everything forms one big happy blur of satisfaction. Or not.

I thought I’d write a little about my recent blur of satisfaction, though. I won Christine Merrill’s latest UK release, A Wicked Liaison. Harlequin doesn’t have a US date yet, so I’m reading a super-secret story, feeling like a giddy, smug spy. Last year I raved about her first two books in this linked series, The Inconvenient Duchess and An Unladylike Offer. The third is every bit as wonderful.

I’m really thrilled when I find a new author (or a new-to-me author) whose career I can follow or glom. 2007 was a year I stopped buying some authors automatically, but I found several I’m now addicted to. Abe. Bourne. Mullany. Raybourn. C.L. Wilson. Carla Kelly (I know, I know, I’m really late to the party.). Debutante authors to me, whose prose is still shiny and plots fresh.

Who have you “discovered” lately?

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures. ~Jessamyn West

10 comments to “Book Report”

· March 20th, 2008 at 11:35 am · Link

I just finished the first two books from Leslie Langtry and they were a fun ride. I’m not sure what genre in which to qualify them. Sort of chick lit meets suspence with romantic elements I guess.

I haven’t so much lost faith in authors as found less satisfaction when trying new ones.

Though I’m sure they do not print more books than they ever have before (or maybe they do), but there are just TOO MANY books to read these days. In 20something years of reading, I never had a TBR pile. Never. Until the last year or so.

I blame those of you I’ve met online for 90% of that pile. LOL! And my own restricted time for the other 10%. *g*

2. Kelly Krysten
     · March 20th, 2008 at 12:06 pm · Link

I discovered some really good YA books lately. I like Shannon Hale and Stephenie Meyer. I’m pretty sure I’m late to the party on both, but it doesn’t matter their books are that good.

· March 20th, 2008 at 5:59 pm · Link

Kelly, I work in a high school library that does not have the Meyer books, and at least once a week a kid comes in asking for them. I read #3, which was silly since I should have read #1 and #2 first…had a little trouble jumping in at the end. If time permits (I hear you Terrio!), I’ll read the first 2.

Terrio, I have stuff in my TBR pile, but not a lot I’m excited to read. I’ve really been trying to use my town’s public library more often. Even w/ late fees, it’s way cheaper, LOL.

4. Kelly Krysten
     · March 20th, 2008 at 6:09 pm · Link

No I didn’t read Austenland. I’ll have to try it out. Thanks for the tip!

5. Kelly Krysten
     · March 20th, 2008 at 9:51 pm · Link

Oh , and also: they’re making a movie out of Stephenie Meyer’s ‘Twilight’. I’m so looking forward to that! Also Stephenie Meyer is writing a book for adults which should be good. And Victoria Dahl’s newest is coming out in August. We’re n for an exciting summer.
    Tangent over…lol.

6. Santa
     · March 20th, 2008 at 10:34 pm · Link

Robyn Carr is one of my latest discoveries. I resisted reading her books even though they were highly recommended. I was afraid of making the committment to a new author. What if I tried her and she was horrible? Not so with Robyn Carr. She is FABULOUS!

I find I am doing the same with Bourne. I know she’ll be fabulous because so many have read her and been floored but that means reading everything she writes. I know I’m being foolish and, really, it’s only a matter of time. The next time I have five minutes to myself and venture into Borders or B&N I’ll pounce on that last copy on the shelf.

Resistance is futile.

· March 21st, 2008 at 6:34 am · Link

Kelly, Tangents R Us, LOL! Thanks for the heads-up. I loved Dahl’s debut and friended her on MYSpace so I can follow what she’s up to. Not in a stalkerish way. *g*

Santa, the fab thing about Bourne is, apart from a book she wrote 20 years ago, you can keep up with anything she writes now. Resistance IS futile! I remember when I first “discovered” Heyer mumbledy-eight years ago, I had to read about a million books to do her backlist.

And if you want someone else you must read (I forgot to include her in the post), Lauren Willig has witty books—only 4. You can do it!

8. Kelly Krysten
     · March 21st, 2008 at 7:04 am · Link

I friended Dahl on myspace, too! And I friended you.

· March 22nd, 2008 at 12:38 pm · Link

I’m currently reading “What Angels Fear” by CS Harris which is a Dark Regency Mystery and the start of a series. It’s very good but the polar opposite of the other books I’m making my way through, Julia Quinn’s light and fluffy Bridgerton series.

I also find Harris’s women characters rather perplexing–time will tell, but my eyebrows always go up when an author paints a picture of upper-class women who are selfish, frigid, hate sex and “deny their beds” to their husbands (who end up being psycho killer rapists out of sexual frustration) while the heroic courtesans are warm, sexual, open, and generous.

I got started on a historical mystery kick because of Deanna Raybourn’s books (“there must be something else out there I can read til her next book comes out!”). I liked Ariana Franklin’s “Mistress of the Art of Death” (12th century England)and Clare Langley-Hawthorne’s “Consequences of Sin” (Edwardian England).

Maggie and everybody, come see me at my blog–I’ve posted some apocryphal Westminster Abbey gossip and would love to know what you think!

10. Gillian Layne
     · March 23rd, 2008 at 8:34 am · Link

Happy Easter!

I’ve not tried too many new authors lately. No–wait—Toni McGee Causey–Bobbie Faye’s Very Bad Day. Could NOT stop reading it, carried it everywhere. Beyond wonderful. If you like Stephanie Plum–you will adore this author.