Mar 24
2008
Another Book Report (Kind Of)

Jo Beverley is guest-blogging at Romantic Inks all this week. She doesn’t know it, but she and a handful of writers are pretty much the reason I started reading (and writing) romance again after a twenty-odd-year sabbatical. I missed all the bodice-rippers of the eighties and nineties because I was raising my own little hellions. I still read, of course. What sort of self-respecting English major would I be if I had not? But it was mostly best-sellers (and I could not for the life of me understand why they sold best), magazines, mysteries, the back of cereal boxes, Where the Wild Things Are. I knew where the wild things were—across the table eating Frosted Flakes.

So I have Jo to thank (or blame) for sucking me into romance. My last post (which you may still comment on below to tell me who’s new to you) dealt with new favorites. Here’s a chance for you to praise your old favorites (and by old, I’m not talking about chronological age, just authors you’ve loved for years). Don’t forget to visit RI—Jo is bound to be far more witty and informative than I will ever be. Fangirl gush is over!

7 comments to “Another Book Report (Kind Of)”

· March 24th, 2008 at 9:09 am · Link

Gee, I got sucked into the world of the Rogues many years ago and have never looked back. The bad thing was, I picked up book 5 not knowing there were any before it. That started a hunt for all the others that didn’t end until recently when I found the anthology one on Alibris.

I love that many of the ones I enjoyed back in the late 80s and early 90s are still producing great work today. McNaught, Garwood, Garlock, and Lowell just to name a few.

2. Kelly Krysten
     · March 24th, 2008 at 11:34 am · Link

I love Jo Beverley. I recently added her to my Myspace and she sent me this nice e-mail about how nice it was to connect with me on myspace. Sweet and talented lady!
    And Maggie I got into writing romance because of Julie Ann Long and Johanna Lindsey. I love what we do, writing that is.

· March 24th, 2008 at 5:09 pm · Link

I didn’t read many bodice rippers either, but I read Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney and many of their imitators during that period. I also read Clare Darcy and Jane Aiken Hodge and reread my cherished Heyers. I was also reading Harlequins by the score and finding favorites in Essie Summers, Sara Seale, Mary Burchell, so I was reading romance all along. By the late 70s, I had discovered Signet Regencies by writers like Sheila Walsh and Vanessa Gray.

I started reading Mary Balogh with A Masked Deception, her first book, in 1985 and Jo Bev with Lord Wraybourne’s Betrothed, her first, in 1988. I missed MJP’s first but started reading her books with The Would-be Widow, also 1988. I was late to Nora Roberts. By the time I read All the Possibilities (my first NR) in 1985, she already had an impressive backlist. But all four of these writers have been autobuys now for twenty years or more.

I don’t think I have ever not read romance from the time I read my first Emilie Loring the summer I turned ten.

4. Santa
     · March 24th, 2008 at 11:02 pm · Link

I LURVE Jo Beverley. There isn’t a book she’s written that I haven’t enjoyed to one degree or another.

And, yes, Maggie Lauren Willig is on my next new author list. She has been ever since she first told me about her book – before she was published – at the NJ RWA conference about three years ago.

I’ll pop by RI this week to gush!

· March 25th, 2008 at 10:47 pm · Link

I shy away from trying new authors who have huge backlists cause all I see is all the work ahead tracking down the books and the time spent reading them all and what if I don’t like them. Doesn’t that sound pitiful. LOL

I started back into romance 6-7 years ago with Julia Quinn and Julie Garwood. I glommed all of their backlists and eagerly awaited their new releases (at least JQ’s, JG had moved on to contemps and I didn’t follow her). It was great. Every time I found a new-to-me book of theirs I got so excited because I knew I was in for a great read. After those two I moved on to Lisa Kleypas, Mary Balogh, Jo Beverley, Madeline Hunter, Eloisa James and Nora Roberts (series stuff). I’ve read almost everything written by all of those authors and enjoyed the whole process – the search, the find and the reading. I’m a little more reluctant these days. I think I’m getting lazy! I’ve read so many really GREAT authors I don’t settle much anymore.

My new discoveries are Robyn Carr, Deborah Smith, Susan Wiggs, Susan Crandall. I’m still excited starting one of their books but my steam has kind of run out… I don’t seem to be as frantic about gobbling up everything I can find from authors I find now.

· March 26th, 2008 at 4:15 pm · Link

It was Shelly Thacker, Elda Minger, Lisa Kleypas, and Julia Quinn. Then when Eloisa James started getting published, I devoured her and loved her writing! *g*

I have the Rogues on my TBR pile… all of them, sitting pretty.

· March 26th, 2008 at 6:20 pm · Link

Ely, you’ll love those Rogues. My favorite is Dare. Sigh. When I read Jo Beverley, I just feel smarter. Obviously I should read her all the time!

Irish, looks like we’re in sync with the historicals. I’m not as crazy about contemp romance authors. Tried Carr this summer (2)but won’t read them all. *ducking and running from Carr-nivores*

Janga,I reread some Holt as we weeded the library this winter. I guess we didn’t have the “good” ones, because I was disappointed. But oh yes, Heyer, Whitney…and Nora (h?) Lofts, too. I won’t live long enough to read all of Nora Roberts!

Kelly, I loved JAL’s POP. It’s one of my favorites so far this year.

Terrio, I didn’t read the Rogues in order either, I don’t think. And JoBev’s medievals are great too… and I don’t even really like medievals, LOL.

Santa, those Willig books are such good fun. I haven’t read the latest but am anxious to. The time split is done so cleverly. You’ll love them.