May 5
2008
A Sign from God

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to poach eggs. I used to have a fancy pan with little wells for the eggs, but now I just boil up water in a no-stick frying pan and drop them in. When I cracked an egg on the edge of the pan, quite a lot of the white slipped down the side and soon I had a merry little fire on the burner. I stared at it stupidly for some time until I grabbed the Morton’s Salt from the cupboard and doused the flames. I do have a fire extinguisher, but that seemed like overkill. And that cute guy to the left was not available. He must have been looking for his shirt.

This little Sunday morning adventure (see, if I had only gone to church I would not have been cooking) reminded me of the luck of life. If things had not gone the right way, there would have been more damage, or even disaster. It doesn’t take long for things to go wrong— now I’m beginning to sound like an insurance commercial. But I started to think of all the luck I’ve had, and the disasters avoided. I thanked God, and am considering He just doesn’t want me to cook anymore, which certainly works for me. It would be a blessing, in fact.

So much in publishing depends upon luck too. I don’t know who the first romantic vampire writer was, but she spawned a lot of bestsellers. Those who write paranormal caught a corner of her luck and hung on for dear life, nipping (ha) at her heels. Right now, I’m trying to catch Anna Campbell’s corner (don’t say that I’m delusional—or at least don’t say it to my face). I’m right into hot Regency Noir with my Morton’s Salt at the ready. Mistress by Midnight is almost half done, and of everything I’ve written, it is my favorite so far. It’s got the Regency version of prom night lust and will end like the Regency Brady Bunch, at least according to the synopsis I had to fake to enter a recent contest.

Publishing: luck or intensive labor? Or both? What disaster has been averted in your life? I’ll share some of mine in the comments. Have you seen my friend’s shirt anywhere?

Ignorance on fire is better than knowledge on ice~my favorite fortune cookie phrase

11 comments to “A Sign from God”

· May 5th, 2008 at 10:32 am · Link

BOTH.

Favorite saying right now: All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. –Mark Twain

You’ll get it.

2. Tiffany Kenzie
     · May 5th, 2008 at 11:28 am · Link

I don’t really want to give him his shirt. He’s sooooo cute. Sigh….

Funny one Hell.

How about: A great fortune depends on luck, a small one on diligence.

And maggie… ride those coattails of the most brilliant AC… I’m following you with Jinan’s story… only I’m not regency, just dark…

· May 5th, 2008 at 8:55 pm · Link

Everything in life takes hard work but luck always plays a part. Being in the right place at the right time is the key.

I used to think I had nothing but bad luck, but no more. I lived in AR for 7 years without hitting a deer, then less than two months after leaving I was back there and hit a deer. But by then I had traded my little car for a full size pick-up and that meant it was less traumatic than it could have been. Well, the deer probably didn’t see it that way but you know what I mean.

Cute fireman, Maggs. But he looks like he needs to eat more. Maybe you should cook for him. *g*

· May 6th, 2008 at 6:10 am · Link

Now, Terrio, let’s not court trouble. I’m not even cooking for my husband these days.

I almost hit a moose once—it finally turned and ran back into the woods. Most people who hit one certainly total their car if not die themselves. One disaster averted.

Hellion, I love Twain quotes. He was so adorably cranky.

Tiff, I know—I thought I was just light and fluffy. Who knew? *g*

5. Gillian Layne
     · May 6th, 2008 at 8:55 am · Link

Publishing–I’m going with labor intensive at this point. If you keep going, you’ll find a publisher. Keeping going means the skills improve, which means you’re more likely to publish. Keeping going means you actually like the entire process of being a writer, as opposed to simply writing, so you’ll publish. Yeah, I’m sticking with labor intensive. 🙂

Small disasters are just pare for the course around here. Comes with the children-and-pets territory, I think.

6. J.K. Coi
     · May 6th, 2008 at 8:59 am · Link

Ah, there are so many things about publishing that must be left to luck. Your submissions to agents and editors have to actually make it through the postal system first and that’s a feat in itself sometimes. Then the agent has to get through the slush pile to yours without knocking it over and having it slide under the big leather couch that the cleaning ladies don’t bother to clean beneath. Then the agent has to be “in the mood” for your style and voice, and that’s kind of tough when they’re watching Dancing With the Stars the night before.

· May 6th, 2008 at 4:15 pm · Link

Maggie, your discipline and productivity make me hide my face in shame.

I try not to think about how much of what happens with my writing is outside my control. I am cultivating tunnel vision in this one situation–focusing on making TLWH the best book I can write and then working up the courage to query agens and editors. Seneca said, “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” I am working on the preparation and praying for the opportunity. 🙂

· May 7th, 2008 at 12:35 pm · Link

I love Janga’s quote – “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” I feel like my marriage was kind of like that. Everything was working against me ending up with my husband. I was messed up and he was living in a different state. I did what I could about what I had control over. I worked on getting my head together and left the rest to “The Big Man” upstairs! A lot of things fell into place and voila here we are!

I think writing is a lot like that. You do what you have control over and then “let go and let God”! And I like to think that the really talented ones get their chance. So, I’m counting on going to B&N in the near future and skipping right past all the “Roberts” and heading right on to Robinson!

· May 7th, 2008 at 4:47 pm · Link

Aww, Irish, thanks. A little Nora-ruboff would not be bad, LOL.

Janga, love the quote! And no hiding—just cause I write stuff doesn’t mean people will want to read it. And I’m stuck in the middle right now, never a fun place. This is when the lure of the “others” seems so attractive.

· May 7th, 2008 at 4:52 pm · Link

Gillian, there certainly is something to be said for perseverance…or insanity, depending on your point of view!

And J.K., I’m reminded of the rejection letter I got from a publisher that came in my envelope but was for a different writer with a different book. For a while I fantasized the other writer got my acceptance letter. Nah.

· May 7th, 2008 at 7:01 pm · Link

I think that’s why I love Twain too. I’m adorably cranky too.