Jun 8
2008
Series-ously

I’m a little slow on the uptake lately. Blame it on the end of school and the associated craziness. I don’t get paid over the summer either so I get all angsty about fun and finances. I always plan on writing during vacation, and want to finish Mistress by Midnight before the corn is as high as an elephant’s eye. Of course, I haven’t planted any corn, just tomatoes and Hungarian sweet peppers. I have no elephants handy either.

But last week, I realized I had inadvertently set myself up for a series. My heroine Laurette is very bored waiting for the hero Con to come and cavort with her. Here’s what I wrote, without any forethought whatsoever (like most of my writing, LOL):
The afternoon now stretched before her. There would be no afternoon callers or jaunts to the shops. There was no basket of mending she could muck up with her crooked stitches or vegetable plot to weed. But the day was fine, so she walked about in the garden, watching the bright yellow birds flit from branch to bush. The fountain burbled, the flowers exuded their fragrance, the sun braved the haze of the city to shine on her bench. Laurette sat in the square of warmth and gazed up at the windows next door, all discreetly laced and swagged in curtains. She wondered if the other mistresses were as bored as she. Perhaps she could form a kind of Mistresses’ Union, where they might take tea together—or something stronger—and complain about their ennui. She let out a laugh.

So, there you have it. It seems I’m writing a mistress series. I’ve already begun Mistress by Mistake, and Mistress by Marriage is waiting in the wings, or at least in a cobwebby corner of my brain. All future characters must be embroidered lightly into Laurette’s life, a challenge I’m eager to undertake. This pantser will actually have to plot.

But first…32,000 words to go on Midnight.

Anybody out there writing a series? Have a favorite series to recommend? Are mistresses and courtesans passe already? I guess there’s hope if Showtime is airing The Secret Diary of a Call Girl. Gasp.

11 comments to “Series-ously”

1. Tiffany Kenzie
     · June 9th, 2008 at 8:27 am · Link

I love series.. thought I’d only ever write series… but now I’m writing a single stand-alone historical…

[shrugs] weird eh? you go to series, I go to stand alone 🙂

· June 9th, 2008 at 9:27 am · Link

What is the world coming to?

I like series but there are too many now. Seems every historical is part of one and since I never get in at the beginning, I just don’t pick them up anymore. Not that you shouldn’t write one, sounds wonderful already. And I love the idea of a Mistress Union. I bet that would be the happiest union ever.

I don’t write any connected books. Have a ton of story ideas in my head but none of them connect. I guess I prefer to end one story and go onto something completely different. But I’ve learned enough to know, never say never. 🙂

· June 9th, 2008 at 4:09 pm · Link

Yay! I love the mistress series as you know. And I love the glimpses we’ve gotten of the other mistresses. *g*

I love connected books and series. It totally is connected to my childhood when I read all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and then Babysitters Club. I was hooked on series. 🙂

· June 9th, 2008 at 4:30 pm · Link

Terri, excellent point. I think even in a series, each book should stand as alone as possible. There’s nothing worse than not knowing what the heck is happening, or having a bunch of people show up all lovey-dovey from the last books.

Tiff, when I revised Waking Beauty to submit it, it had been kind of a sequel and I had to rip out everything from the first book—which worked out well, cause I had to get the word count down 30,000 words!

Ely, glad you like my naughty girls!

5. J.K. Coi
     · June 9th, 2008 at 8:50 pm · Link

Yes, I love these mistresses as well! This is going to be fabulous!

6. Trisana le Chante
     · June 10th, 2008 at 12:49 am · Link

Maggie, this is awesome! I love series.

Agree with everyone else; the Mistress Union sounds like a delightful group – so up my alley *g*

Elyssa – Babysitters Club? *g* I know what you mean, I read the whole lot of them and all those Sweet Valley books. Hey, I can’t get enough of series.

· June 10th, 2008 at 11:39 am · Link

I hope courtesans aren’t passe! I love them! I just bought a history book at B&N called My Lady Scandalous which is a historical book about some of the famous courtesans in the 1700s. Cool stuff! And funny! I can’t wait to read your series, Maggie!!

· June 10th, 2008 at 4:23 pm · Link

I’m another series addict. I think I always saw TLWH as the first of three.

I don’t think courtesans as heroines will ever be passe as long as writers like Loretta Chase, Mary Balogh, Julia Ross, Diane Gaston, and Maggie Robinson are interested in writing their stories.

· June 10th, 2008 at 4:55 pm · Link

Wow, Maggie, sounds like a winner to me. I can’t wait to be anticipating your next release!

I LOVE series, probably because I never like to say goodbye to beloved characters.

· June 13th, 2008 at 7:05 am · Link

Sorry to be so slow responding. Have actually been tied up by a faculty party, a librarian party (which did involve book talk but was fun and there was wine). Have had to bake things, remove fines, sweat through a heat wave, live with a husband and his cold. This has been the week from Hell.

Janga, thanks for putting me in such sterling company! I’m not sure how the other guys feel, though!

Irish, it depends on how the previous people get brought back—sometimes they’re almost tooo happy, LOL.

Hellion, that book sounds really intriguing. Take notes!

JK and Trisana, goo to know I’m on to something. Now all I have to do is write, which lately has not been easy. Maybe when school is out June 16.

11. Marnee Jo
     · June 15th, 2008 at 8:46 pm · Link

I love series too!!

And I love the Mistress series idea! How wonderful. This sounds so great, Maggie, you must be so excited!!