Jun 18
2008
Pitch Black

My friend Terrio has tagged me to “sum it up in six words.” That’s six words to describe myself, my life, my hopes, dreams, etc. When I found out, I used six words immediately: Damn you, Terri, you evil bitch. Getting tagged or being asked to forward something or else the universe will implode brings out the rebel in me. As Captain Hellion might say, “I don’t wanna.” While I pride myself for quick-thinking on my feet in real world situations, my tootsies feel mired in molasses now. How can I find the six perfect words?
But really, Terri has done me a favor. She’s making me think about streamlining something bulky into something short and sweet, or sour as the case may be. I suck at pitching (well, actually, I’ve never tried to pitch but I would suck if I did). Describe Mistress by Midnight in a simple sentence? Uhh….young lovers reunite? Borrring. Fellow Vixen Ely’s good at this high-concept stuff. My Fair Lady meets reality TV works perfectly for her contest-finalling book Take a Chance on Me. Then she does something like Roman Holiday in Africa for Lay All Your Love on Me. I’m going to have to hire her.

I’ve still got nothing for MBM. Romeo and Juliet after a dozen years but no one dies and there’s a secret baby? OMG, I just realized after over 55,000 words I have written a secret baby plot book. Double-damn you, Terri, you evil bitch. Okay, how about Regency Brady Bunch but much darker with lots of sex?

Now that I’ve got MBM pigeon-holed, it’s time for me. Writer believes in love, sometimes self. That will have to do.

Pitch your current project right here. It can’t be any worse than mine. 🙂 And Terri, you know I love you. I even put it in writing!

22 comments to “Pitch Black”

1. skirbo
     · June 18th, 2008 at 9:40 am · Link

ROFL!! Secret baby plot??? You didn’t! Wonderful! I feel you on the summing stories up succintly, I just can’t do it.

You have got to save your Avon FanLit entries somewhere else. The Avon page is coming down next Friday.

Sarah

2. Tiffany Kenzie
     · June 18th, 2008 at 11:06 am · Link

SECRET BABY… teehee… this is a different kinda secret baby though.. well I guess it’s still a secret baby though. LOL.

I’ll pitch something later — when I’m not swimming in this foggy brain from lack of sleep.

· June 18th, 2008 at 1:06 pm · Link

You know, Maggs, if you ever met my sister you would know she’s really the evil bitch. I just play one on the internet from time to time. LOL!

Wuff you too!

Love the summation. On all accounts. I can’t sum up my WIP either. When I’m asked what it’s about, my answer is usually lots of stuttering and half sentences that amount to nothing. Do you think I could call it an open-ended concept with no real concept involved? LOL!

I hear secret babies are making a comeback. No worries. *g*

· June 18th, 2008 at 3:25 pm · Link

LOL, Maggie! Thanks for the compliments!

High concept is easy–you just have to hit the right angle. Let’s see for MBM…

A darker, sexier version of Jane Austen’s Persuasion.

Does that work for you?

And you have a high concept idea with either book 2 or book 3 with the Taming of the Shrew idea.

I’ll think more on MBM’s high concept—but I do think you can make an argument for Persuasion.

· June 18th, 2008 at 6:33 pm · Link

The very word “pitch” makes me feel as if an entire baseball team is pitching in my stomach. As for a six-word pitch, I sweated blood in an effort to write a one- paragraph summary. The only thing I can write in six words or fewer is my name. LOL!

· June 18th, 2008 at 6:49 pm · Link

Oh Janga, yours is easy:

With fame and fortune, country music star Max has it all but one thing—his ex-wife, Dorie.

· June 18th, 2008 at 6:50 pm · Link

And of course, Janga, if I read your book in full (hint, hint, hint), I would be of more help. *g*

8. Tiffany Kenzie
     · June 18th, 2008 at 6:52 pm · Link

Ely! You are amazing at these blurb things. What’s mine? LOL

· June 18th, 2008 at 7:34 pm · Link

Isn’t Ely unbelievable, Tiff? We’re going to have to start sending her money or chocolate or something!

Sarah, it truly wasn’t until I wrote this post yesterday That i realized the whole secret baby thing. I am so ashamed. And thanks for the heads-up on FanLit. When you mentioned it on Tessa’s blog I immediately copied my chapters. Too bad I won’t have the hysterical comments, tho!

Janga, with your way with words, I know you’ll figure it out.It took me a couple of years before my query letters were workable. Just when I’ve got that down, the whole pitch thing throws me.

Ely, I’m counting on you!

Terri, thanks for supplying me with a topic! Got any more ideas?*g*

· June 18th, 2008 at 8:48 pm · Link

Maggie, remember the deal?

You write the queries, I’ll do the pitch. LOL

· June 18th, 2008 at 8:56 pm · Link

Janga – I can sum your story up in six words.

The Long Way Home is Wonderful!

Maggie – I got nothing for you. LOL!

· June 18th, 2008 at 9:18 pm · Link

Maggie, here’s a rough sketch for you…

To save her brother, Laurette would make a deal with the devil; she makes one her former lover, the Marquess of Conover, instead–as his mistress, Laurette will give him her body, but never her heart.

· June 18th, 2008 at 9:19 pm · Link

Sorry, typo:

To save her brother, Laurette would make a deal with the devil; she makes one with her former lover, the Marquess of Conover, instead–as his mistress, Laurette will give her body, but not her heart.

14. J.K. Coi
     · June 19th, 2008 at 9:07 am · Link

Oh Ely, you’ve got to do one for DI!

15. J.K. Coi
     · June 19th, 2008 at 9:08 am · Link

Maggie, your book is the best, I don’t think I’d want to sum it up in six words or one sentence. I’d keep wanting to say more and more.

16. Kelly Krysten
     · June 19th, 2008 at 10:45 am · Link

Ack! I’ve never tried to pitch my book. It, as yet, has not title. It think that’s a pretty good sign that I’m out of my depth when it comes to pitching. Let’s see what I can think up on the spot. Big time bet-oh dear, it seems I’ve written yet another bet book to add to the romance multitude. And I guess I could add to that tons of secrets, tons of brothers, and happy ending- but that one is a given. Gosh, I’m REALLY bad at this. Must polish up on this.

· June 19th, 2008 at 11:21 am · Link

Adam and Eve fail marriage counseling; and to meet the conditions of their divorce, must go to Las Vegas and find new spouses.

You’ve Got Mail meets Oh God, You Devil.

· June 19th, 2008 at 1:23 pm · Link

Hellion, I’m hooked! Kelly, I have no doubt you’ll get the whole thing to shine…or just call Ely, LOL.

Blushing, JK.

· June 19th, 2008 at 1:43 pm · Link

Maybe I’ll start a web blog and be like Miss Snark. LOL

· June 20th, 2008 at 10:38 pm · Link

Maggie, I love secret babies. They are suitable for every occasion and wear extremely well.

Everyone on Guiding Light (my long-time fave soap) either was a secret baby or had a secret baby (or both) and that show has been going strong for something like 50 years.

21. Santa
     · June 21st, 2008 at 2:05 am · Link

Yet another reason I am so happy I only guest blog on occasion. No one can tag me or make me pay it forward or whatever the hell it’s called.

So I dug up the pitch I worked on last year for National. One agent thought I wrote inspirational, bless their heart.

So here’s my high concept pitch:

Pride and Prejudice meets the Food Network.

Melissa’s prejudice about Jake’s sincerity is rivaled only by Jake’s own wounded pride and hardened heart.

Can their fragile as spun sugar love withstand past betrayals and their own foolish pride and prejudice?

I know. I know. Total crap!

· June 21st, 2008 at 7:58 am · Link

LOL, Santa, it works for me! Spun sugar sweet Melissa! Brave you for pitching. I don’t think I could do a face -to-face thing, which is why I query in my PJs.

RevM! So glad to see you! I missed you and hope all is well. I guess I could find out if I went over to Only Connect. Bad me.

And now you’ve got me realizing that some romance novels are just soap operas with too many adverbs. I used to be addicted—started when I walked home from school for lunch and my mother and grandmother were watching something that has since been cancelled. Ooh, I smell a future blog post. Thanks!