Jul 21
2008
Putting the Me in YouTube

Some months ago, I made an impassioned plea to myself to forgo Internet time. I want to finish my work in progress (Mistress by Midnight—15,000 words to go!), and now that I actually know what will follow it (Mistress by Mistake, Mistress by Marriage), I’m all kinds of itchy to dive into Trilogyland.

But I’ve discovered YouTube. By a distinctively un-hip route. I’m watching kids’ programming. My nine month old granddaughter Sadie is fascinated by Elmo and the Muppets, so Elmo it is when she comes to visit. This little wiggleworm sits absolutely still in my lap while we watch Andrea Bocelli sing Elmo to sleep, the Goo Goo Dolls turn Slide into Pride about Elmo being ‘furry, proud and red,’ REM bounce to ‘Furry Happy Monsters.’

I’ve watched YouTube clips I’ve stumbled over on blogs before. I’ve seen the kiss from North and South and the Filipino prisoners dancing to Thriller. But now…Michelle Obama on The View? Check. The entire movie Amazing Grace in eleven parts? Check. You know my obsession with Ioan Gruffudd. I discovered the last scene in Great Expectations (just beautiful even if I’ve never seen the whole movie), and even watched him speaking Welsh for eight minutes in a swimming pool and In-N-Out Burger, having absolutely no idea what he was saying. This could be dangerous.

What are you watching on YouTube? Do you watch authors on sites like Romance Novel TV? Are you ready for your close-up?

18 comments to “Putting the Me in YouTube”

1. BernardL
     · July 21st, 2008 at 8:38 am · Link

You Tube, with the proliferation of cell-phones capable of instantly uploading pictures and videos, makes every day in public an opportunity to have a misstep broadcast around the world. 🙂

· July 21st, 2008 at 8:41 am · Link

What the hell is he saying?! LOL! Is that English? Holy rolling G’s!

I almost never visit YouTube unless someone sends me over to watch something they’ve found. Then I will usually watch one more video on the same topic and I’m done. If I ever figure out how to edit this video I took of Isabelle’s talent show, I’m considering putting her on there. Haven’t decided for sure.

And I never thought of the access to kids stuff. I had to buy all those videos when Isabelle was young. Gosh, pulling it up for free would have been so much nicer.

· July 21st, 2008 at 9:24 am · Link

Terri, most of the Sesame Street things are only a few minutes long, perfect for my little bunny. And Ioan is speaking Welsh, which sounds like rocks and chewing gum mixed up in the mouth. But he’s half-naked, so I don’t care.

Bernard, kids in my high school (where I work and am not a student, LOL) put up a ‘Fight Club’ video that got them investigated by the police. It’s one thing to appear stupid by accident, but when you actually do it on purpose….

4. J.K. Coi
     · July 21st, 2008 at 2:01 pm · Link

I LOVE YouTube. Usually for finding something obscure and funny, but I’ve also uploaded my own “book trailer” onto YouTube, and the good thing is that it generates an embed code for you, so now whenever I want to post the video somewhere else, I just copy that embed code instead of worrying about making one myself that won’t work.

But my son has also discovered the wonders of YouTube. Since he’s into Ninja Turtles and Transformers, but he is rarely at home watching television when these shows are being broadcast, he’ll look them up on YouTube and watch over the computer–not on my laptop, thankfully. That’s handsoff.

5. Stephanie J
     · July 21st, 2008 at 2:43 pm · Link

I understand! I got sucked in.

Current favs:
    All Angels – The Scientist (beautiful English singing group)
    Ellen Degeneres – the Gladys call (look for the clip w/ Ellen in orange)
    Charlie Bit Me (a classic!)

· July 21st, 2008 at 9:37 pm · Link

I swear… I posted something on this blog today! Maybe, I was surfing on YouTube or daydreaming about Richard Armitage. LOL.

What I love about YouTube is that you can there are videos on almost anything–animals, trailers, fan-made songs featuring an actor… it’s definitely a way to waste time.

Sometimes, too much time.

7. Gillian Layne
     · July 22nd, 2008 at 10:13 am · Link

You tube clips totally suck up time. My teens introduced me to the joys (and dangers) of You tube. I love digging up odd things, like a bunch of speeches Warren Buffet made.

Your titles rock! 🙂

· July 22nd, 2008 at 10:52 am · Link

Gillian, Warren Buffett??? When you get rich, help me out!

Ely,loved your RA clips. There are some great ones of Ioan, too. I love how the music ties in with the visuals…these people are way more clever and tech-savvy than I will ever be.

Thanks a lot, Steph…now I’ll have to watch them too, LOL. YouTube is so handy for watching music videos when you don’t want to have the TV on waiting and waiting. I’m all about the instant gratification.

JK,how fun and convenient for your son. I worry though when Sadie comes—she goes for the computer chair first thing! I’m creating a monster (but not a furry, proud and red one). But I do read her books too, I swear.

9. skirbo
     · July 22nd, 2008 at 11:37 am · Link

I enjoy YouTube quite a bit, and I believe there will come a day when folks are saying ‘myspace? huh?’ and YouTube will still be popular.

I can find just about anything in there, and quickly, when I need a comedy pick me up, or a music break.

Sarah

· July 22nd, 2008 at 11:44 am · Link

My kids got me into You Tube too. With them it’s mostly music videos. They went through a Weird Al Yankovic phase and every time they found a new one they’d play it over and over again until I was singing Weird Al’s lyrics instead of the orginal ones. Their favorite was the Ebay one. It is pretty hilarious.

Like everything else these days, it’s an awesome tool and a scary tool. I get really scared when I realize what some people deem appropriate to broadcast out to the world at large!

· July 22nd, 2008 at 11:59 am · Link

Irish – I still sing White & Nerdy instead of Ridin' Dirty. LOL!

12. Kelly Krysten
     · July 22nd, 2008 at 1:59 pm · Link

I love Brotherhood 2.0 on youtube. Those guys are histerical.
    Also, I’m so excited for you that Mistress is almost done! I see big things for you, Maggie! Huge!

13. Santa
     · July 22nd, 2008 at 3:25 pm · Link

I love You Tube. I get my Toby Stephens and period piece movie glimpses there.

I haven’t seen the Sesame Street bits but my cherubs don’t last very long in my lap these days.

· July 23rd, 2008 at 7:12 am · Link

I hope you’re right, Kelly! This last chunk has been so hard to write and I’m not home free yet.

Santa,sometimes I wish YouTube was around when my kids were little, but then they’d probably be even more TV-addicted than they are already.

Irish, Weird Al is a demented genius. I haven’t seen him in ages but will have to look him up.

Sarah, exactly. Even if you spent 24 hours a day, you’d never catch up to all the things you’d want to see. I’m going to have to go on a YouTube diet.

· July 23rd, 2008 at 1:25 pm · Link

Dude, who the hell cares WHAT he is saying? *swoons, sighs*

· July 23rd, 2008 at 1:46 pm · Link

I agree, Fran. And when they get all boyish jumping in the car and making silly faces…so naughty and adorable.

The only thing I understood was ‘James Bond’ and ‘hot dog’ and ‘Beverley Hills.”

· July 24th, 2008 at 12:28 am · Link

This is the only place in the world where I can admit that my favorite YouTube is a montage of Colin Firth moments from various of his films. It starts off rather tamely with kissing, kissing, kissing–but by the end Colin has discarded his clothing and is doing some very naughty things. Of course, it never fails but that by the end of the piece my kids come in and say, “Mom, what are you watching?” and I have to cover up the computer in embarrassment.

· July 24th, 2008 at 6:42 am · Link

RevM, if you visit Tessa Dare's blog (on my sidebar) a couple of weeks ago she had Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy from the iconic P & P, with clips cut to "I'm Too Sexy for My Shirt." Hilarious. You'll love it. I did.

And I'll never tell your shameful secret. But I think Colin must be watched kissing the world over!