Nov 1
2008
Pounding the Keys

I’m wearing my fat pants. After a rainy summer spent indoors on my protuberant posterior writing (and apparently eating) like a fiend, I have discovered the 10s and 12s of yesteryear do not fit. Oh, I can get them on. Barely. The question is, do I want to spend six hours in the library in them, afraid to bend down to put a book on the bottom shelf? Rrrrip.

Coincidentally, my current heroine Charlotte Fallon is on the fluffy side. The painting to the right was my inspiration for her. She’s short and very curvy. Her hero, a frustrated artist, loves nothing better than to get her naked and sketch her. Well, actually, he loves nothing better than to get her naked. The sketching comes after, or before, depending on the scene. I’ve noticed heftier heroines in several books, and I’m so glad. I’ve been fluffy all my life, save for three years in my early twenties when I didn’t ever eat potatoes and weighed 125 for about a week and a half. Pass the home fries, please.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What are your characters’ physical “flaws?” Do you want to smack down those perfect heroines in fiction and RL? Are you currently on a best fat burner diet? Any tips for me? I think Garcinia Cambogia
is a good way to start , right ?

15 comments to “Pounding the Keys”

· November 1st, 2008 at 2:59 pm · Link

Such a pretty painting, and I can see how that inspired Charlotte’s looks.

Count me on joining you in the fluffy department. But I was one of those stick thin girls—all bones and arms and legs until I hit puberty. (My mom thought I was going to be taller than I actually was because I had such long arms and legs). I’m the shortest one in my family and when I gain five pounds, it shows. Sigh.

I love writing the imperfect heroine. Even if she’s beautiful, I mark her up somehow or she comes flawed and damaged, much like Simone did. In my new WIP, the heroine is tiny, kind of picture a tomboyish Tinkerbell sans wings. She’s not one of those women you look at and go wow, what a stunning beauty…but she is attractive and striking, just a subtle type of beauty that hits the hero over the head one day.

Perfect heroines and RL definitely want me to shove some food down their mouths and dirty them up. I can’t stand Mary Sue characters where everything they do is perfect and they get whatever they want. I like to see struggles and them working for their HEA, not handed to them.

Diet tips? The only thing I do is cut back on sugar and bread, then eat more lean protein. But then that gets boring, and I go screw it, you only live once. LOL.

Great blog, Maggie—always fun and thought-provoking.

· November 1st, 2008 at 3:13 pm · Link

And thank you, thank you, thank you for this blog—it unlocked something for me with the WIP and how to begin it. Kisses to you!!!

3. Tiffany Kenzie
     · November 1st, 2008 at 4:37 pm · Link

Great blog, and another great pic. I never mention physical flaws in my characters. I prefer to write voluptuous heroines, a man has got to have something to hold on to… *g* Voluptuous like Monica Bellucci. I never thought a little fat did anyone any harm. And I’ve been skinny most my life and like when I wear more meat on my bones.

Perfect is defined by region and society. So really, what’s perfect?

No diets for me. I just try to balance out the sweets I eat with lots of veggie’s and fruit. 🙂 No tips from me other than eat healthy, who cares about the rest.

4. BernardL
     · November 1st, 2008 at 11:26 pm · Link

Always curvy. Fight on, Maggie. Never surrender. It’s a never ending battle. 🙂

5. Gillian Layne
     · November 2nd, 2008 at 12:28 pm · Link

Only a doctor rumbling in my ear about “health” makes me pay the slightest attention to the scales. I hate “dieting”, I love food and as long as the clothes in my closet fit (thank God for elastic and travel knits), I’m good.

But once I hit 40–I definitely noticed a change in how I could eat. So I try to move a bit more, again, for the health. Someone else at the store is welcome to the single digit sizes. 🙂

And Hurray! for your curvy heroine.

· November 2nd, 2008 at 2:31 pm · Link

Oh, yeah, Gillian, my 10s and 12s are all elastic waists to begin with…it’s looking kind of grim. I’ve got a French bread pizza in the oven right now, so how serious can I be? Tomorrow is a new day.

Bernard, curvy is good. Flabby is not quite so good…

Ely, glad whatever I wrote was helpful! I was stick thin until I was three—then something happened.

Tiff, I know I mess my food pyramid up…can never get all the fruit and vegetable servings in. And I know I should never eat white food—unfortunately mashed potatoes and bread sing their siren song loud and clear.

7. Anonymous
     · November 2nd, 2008 at 11:47 pm · Link

Thank you for the word “fluffy”. I like it much better than alternative descriptions. I’ve been getting “fluffier” since I past 40, too.

I like characters with a few flaws. How else do we know the H/H are meant for each other without their mutual acceptance of each other’s insecurities, or better yet, thinking the “flaws” are positives?

Maggie, you always find the best artwork!

8. Marnee Jo
     · November 3rd, 2008 at 9:54 am · Link

Awh, your heroine is beautiful. 🙂 I wish I had curves. 🙂

I am on a diet right now. Medically induced. I have hypoglycemia which is messing with my ability to get pregnant. So, I’m on meds and have to follow the diabetic diet.

I have to admit that it hasn’t been that bad though. The idea is that you eat small meals with lots of snacks to make sure your blood sugar doesn’t get low (which makes me crave sweets).

Granted, I’m not going to lie and tell ya that I love the diet, but at least I don’t have to eat cabbage soup. (icky)

9. Kelly Krysten
     · November 3rd, 2008 at 11:49 am · Link

When I was writing my new heroine the other day it suddenly came out that she is getting too thin. I wish I had that problem.lol.

That picture is gorgeous. Your heroine sounds great and your hero sounds wonderfully naughty! YAY for naughty heroes!:)

10. haleigh
     · November 3rd, 2008 at 12:59 pm · Link

What a great picture – I can see why your hero is desperate to get her naked 🙂

I tend skip over physical descriptions for the internal flaws, but I have to agree that the really perfect heroines make me cringe. No one can be that perfect!

· November 3rd, 2008 at 1:06 pm · Link

I like my heroines (and heroes) in all different shapes and sizes – just like in life. The thing I absolutely love about romances is that it isn’t the pretty one, or the rich one, or the thin one, or the handsome one that gets their HEA. It’s whatever type of character (with all their faults and foibles) I happen to be reading at the moment that get their HEA. And it isn’t an exclusive club.

We all deserve unconditional love. There should be no requirements to meet or standards to reach in order for that to happen.

I’ve learned a lot over the years about men/women relationships. One of the key things is that different things attract different people and it’s almost never what’s on the outside!

So, yay for you and your fluffy heroine, Maggie! I’m sure the DH loves your fluff! (I know my DH wishes I had more! LOL)

· November 3rd, 2008 at 1:31 pm · Link

Love the picture and Yay! for the fluff. I’ve been fluffy forever. Odd thing is, clothes I couldn’t butter myself into this summer are now falling off. But the numbers, though reduced, are not falling off the scale. It’s very strange.

The heroine in my WIP is tall and thin with long legs. She sees herself as ordinary, plain, and not attractive at all. Lucky for her, the hero has a thing for long legs and finds her gorgeous even if he starts out thinking she’s a psycho chick.

Even if the heroine is perfect, that’s usually only through other people’s perceptions. Just as in life, very few women have a positive perception of their own appearance. I have a friend who yells at me and tells me I’m gorgeous. The truth is, she’s stark mad, but it’s still nice to hear. 🙂

· November 3rd, 2008 at 3:46 pm · Link

Brava, Irish! I totally agree.

Maggie, with your gift for characterization, I know I will love your heroines be they “fluffy,” stick thin, or somewhere in between.

As for me, I’m back on South Beach, Phase I, after being felled for two consecutive weekends by a birthday party and a Halloween gift of Bourbon Brownies. Today it’s been Eggbeater for breakfast and lettuce rollups for lunch. 🙁

· November 3rd, 2008 at 7:43 pm · Link

Marnee, good luck with the diet and the baby-making. Practice is so much fun! 😉

Anon, thanks. I love paintings and am a frustrated artist myself.When I have time, I visit online art museums. My old computer had a ton of stuff on it—too much to copy and transfer, which just gives me more reason to procrastinate and have that feast for my eyes!

Kelly, my last two heroines were too thin—one because of psychological trauma and the other because she was poor. I love writing my fluffier girl—and her hair is turning silver, too!

Janga, many thanks! Bourbon brownies sound yummy. I used to make bourbon balls at Christmas. I’ve never tried the SBD—let me know how it goes.

Terrio, believe in your friend!She is brilliant, and you are beautiful.

Haleigh,thanks for visiting! I think you swam over from the Revenge, right? Yes, I love this picture of my Charlotte—she looks kittenish to me. She’s tried for years to be respectable, but the hero is fixing that.

Irish, it helps that my husband is on the fluffy side too, LOL!

15. Santa
     · November 4th, 2008 at 11:31 pm · Link

Fluffy. I like that one and plan to use it. My first heroine was curvy while my second one was pixie like. My current heroine is tall and willowy. I seem to have hit on all categories.

I like it when heroines are deemed plain to everyone but the hero as he falls in love with her. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.