Dec 20
2008
Tis the Season

Sitting under the mistletoe
(Pale-green, fairy mistletoe),
One last candle burning low,
All the sleepy dancers gone
Just one candle burning on,
Shadows lurking everywhere:
Some one came, and kissed me there.
Tired I was; my head would go
Nodding under the mistletoe
(Pale-green, fairy mistletoe)
No footsteps came, no voice, but only,
Just as I sat there, sleepy, lonely,
Stooped in the still and shadowy air
Lips unseen – and kissed me there. ~ Walter de la Mare

Lots of Christmas kisses! Have a great holiday! I’ll be taking some time off for good behavior (yours, not mine).See you next on December 31, when I celebrate the second anniversary of mis-named Maggie Robinson Means Romance. There will be a prize! Virtual champagne and cake and confetti! Naked men!

What are you asking Santa for this year? Do you have a favorite kiss you’d like to share to make us all dreamy?

20 comments to “Tis the Season”

1. BernardL
     · December 20th, 2008 at 12:14 pm · Link

Merry Christmas, Maggie!

Yea, I have a kiss for you. It happened as a spur of the moment thing. My girlfriend, who was a year older than I at fifteen stopped ice skating on the pond, where I plodded along after her. She turned suddenly, with me looking at my feet, running in close to her and holding on. She smiled up, blue eyes jolting into my teen consciousness, and with heart pounding in my chest, I leaned close, our lips touching. I remember her lips being warm in the cold air, and so soft. It was the first time hearing a woman make a slight pleasurable sound, and more ardently pull closer. The moment grew heated, and the January night a tropical evening, as I held her without any clue. Her younger sister ran into us with a screech, and I experienced my second stirring sensation: when she pulled away reluctantly, eyes conveying promise of more such moments to come. πŸ™‚

· December 20th, 2008 at 2:56 pm · Link

Merry Christmas!

I like that poem by Walter de la Mare. From Santa, I’d like to have one million dollars (LOL) and able to eat all the food I want and lose weight. Oh, wait . . . Santa’s not a genie. I guess I’ll settle for some books then. *g*

· December 20th, 2008 at 4:12 pm · Link

Oh, delicious, Bernard. I can see it and feel all the youthful yearning. Merry Christmas to you too!

Ely, I still have those boxes of books under my desk. If Santa doesn’t come through, I might even get to the PO this break. Of course, I said that at Thanksgiving, too. Bad me.

· December 20th, 2008 at 4:47 pm · Link

Maggie, I have a ton of books that I have at my own place that are in my TBR pile—but I’m so bad in that all I want to read is brand, shiny new books. Don’t worry about sending those books to me, seriously.

· December 20th, 2008 at 8:42 pm · Link

A blessed Christmas, Maggie, to you and Mr. Robinson and to all of your family.

The de la Mare poem is a lovely gift. I didn’t remember that one, but he’s a particularly appropriate poet for romance lovers.

I hope Santa brings me books and music, but the best thing will be having nearly all of the family together Christmas day. With all seven of the grands here, it’s sure to be a happy, noisy day with lots of hugs and kisses.

6. Tiffany Chalmers
     · December 21st, 2008 at 9:27 am · Link

Merry Christmas!!!!

I just want some books. Though I’m sure my husband is hoping not. They are everywhere at it is.

No favourite kisses that I can think of. But I did just write my first kiss for Thaddeus and Rosa in ABS… very romantic. Maybe even the favourite I’ve written to date.

7. Stephanie J
     · December 22nd, 2008 at 12:28 am · Link

Merry Christmas! Enjoy your break from blogging!

Beautiful poem.

No Christmas kiss stories here. I’m still waiting for mine. πŸ™‚

· December 22nd, 2008 at 10:40 am · Link

Merry Christmas to the Robinsons!

I love the poem and I love Bernard’s story. How sweet?!

Christmas will be just me, the parakeet, and the hamster this year. But I’m looking forward to a quiet day of reading. I haven’t had that since I don’t know when.

Next week will be the crazyness for me when kiddo comes home (and has her tonsils out!). I’ll have to entertain the ex and his parents which means I’ll definitely need some of that champagne come Dec 31! No Christmas kisses I can recall, but a girl can always dream. πŸ™‚

9. Kelly Krysten
     · December 22nd, 2008 at 12:28 pm · Link

I asked for a Kindle and got it! Of course, I have to wait for 11-13 weeks for it to arrive but it’s well worth the wait!

As for kisses, none of mine are particuLarly memorable(isn’t that sad?*g*). But I do often swoon over kisses in movies and books. Eloisa James had some awesome kisses in Kiss Me Annabell. In fact, all of her books have fantastic kisses. I loved Josie and Mayne’s first kiss in Pleasure for Pleasure- it still cracks me up to think of him putting on Josie’s dress and teaching her how to walk like a temptress.lol.

In movies, I LOVE the kiss in North and South. Ah, that Richard Armitage deserves an award just for that!

Merry Christmas!! I hope you get everything you’re hoping for…you might even get that book deal we’re all anticipating!!:) I can’t wait for that.

· December 22nd, 2008 at 1:30 pm · Link

Thanks, Kelly! that's about the only thing I'm wishing for too. I really have everything i need. You know, I haven't seen N & S *ducking* except for the kiss scene, and it looked very tasty. πŸ™‚
    Merry Christmas to you, and here's to exciting kisses in 2009.

Janga, I loved the poem too…very nicely moody in simple words. Merry Christmas to you and all the grands!

Tiff, watch out for falling books, LOL! Hope you have a great Christmas and write Thaddeus and Rosa's story fast as you can!

Steph, I really am looking forward to being blogless for a little bit, altho I'm sure I'll be doing my usual bloghopping. We'll be away for part of the vacation, so it seemed like the right thing to do. Get kissed in 2009, mistletoe or no!

Terri, good luck w/ Isabelle's surgery. You can share her ice cream. πŸ™‚ Even tho your actual Christmas will be delayed, it will be worth the wait. And happy New Year's Eve birthday! I'll be celebrating—and so will everyone else. It's all for YOU, Terri— The fireworks, the confetti, the worldwide drunken binges!

· December 22nd, 2008 at 3:35 pm · Link

LOL! Thanks, Maggie. Good to know the entire planet is celebrating on my behalf!

· December 22nd, 2008 at 4:12 pm · Link

Merry Christmas, Maggie! Enjoy the holidays and your well deserved little break from blogging. All of you that blog consistently amaze me!

The only kiss that stands out in my mind is my first kiss from my DH (who was just a good friend at the time). It was bittersweet because he was catching a plane the next day – moving to California. A move that turned into a 6 year separation. It was clumsy, messy and tear-filled. I lived on the memory of that kiss for a long time. It’s nice to know that now I can get one just about any time I want! LOL

13. J.K. Coi
     · December 23rd, 2008 at 10:25 pm · Link

*Hugs*
    Merry Christmas, Maggie!!

14. Marnee Jo
     · December 23rd, 2008 at 11:20 pm · Link

Merry Christmas Maggie, to you and your family.

Thank you for the poem. It was lovely.

· December 24th, 2008 at 7:01 am · Link

Oh, Irish. Six years. But you got your HEA. Yay! Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas to you and your hero.

Kris, hugging you right back! Stay warm and have a wonderful time with your family.

Marnee, thank you for your good wishes. Enjoy Christmas with your big and little guys!

16. Gillian Layne
     · December 24th, 2008 at 9:33 am · Link

Merry Christmas Eve, and have a lovely holiday. πŸ™‚

17. Marnee Jo
     · December 25th, 2008 at 11:44 pm · Link

I forgot to post my Christmas kiss story. Me and my DH’s first kiss was at Christmas time.

We’d been dating for only a couple weeks and he took me to dinner. We had a lot of wine and some good food and when we got to the parking lot, we were in high spirits (literally) in the car. When he turned it on to get the heat going, I turned to him and said, “are you going to kiss me yet?” because he was being a real gentleman and hadn’t made any improper moves. So, to Dan Fogelberg’s Same Auld Lang Syne, my DH and I had our first kiss. We still got sappy this year when we hear it 6 years later. πŸ™‚

· December 26th, 2008 at 7:55 am · Link

Thanks, Gillian! It was lovely, and the greatest treat was listening to my granddaughter laugh at everything, even the wrapping paper.

Marnee, sigh. That is so sweet! My husband and I first dated in the heat of a NYC summer a million years ago, but I still remember our first date (which lasted a whole weekend, LOL and involved lots of ice cubes. I know, TMI).

19. Santa
     · December 30th, 2008 at 12:23 am · Link

Every kiss becomes my favorite – does that count? Sounds rather like that K Jewelers commercial.

“Every kiss begins with K”

Love the poem. I hope Santa brought you everything your hearts desire!

Looking forward to seeing you and the naked men here on the 31st.

· December 30th, 2008 at 7:01 pm · Link

Ah, Santa. What a great guy you’ve got. Kissing is important. My most recent kiss, however, came from my 15 month old granddaughter this afternoon with her mouth wide open and plenty of wetness. Someone must teach her to peck properly, LOL.