Dec 31
2008
Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!

No, it’s not my birthday. That’s October 8. I’m a Libra: diplomatic and urbane, romantic and charming, easygoing and sociable, idealistic and peaceable. Sounds just like me. (Perfect, right? Not like the Libra negatives:indecisive and changeable, gullible and easily infuenced, flirtatious and self-indulgent, which cut a little too close to the bone.)
But it’s MRMR’s second anniversary, which makes this blog a Capricorn:practical and prudent, ambitious and disciplined, patient and careful,humorous and reserved. (The dark side of Capricorn says pessimistic and fatalistic,miserly and grudging, but my idealistic Libra self won’t pay any attention to that. My husband is a Capricorn, by the way. Pity me.)MRMR—two whole years of me nattering on and on on the Internet. Amazing. Or something.

So, it’s time to celebrate the New Year and this portentious anniversarial event with the promised naked men and a contest. What’s your sign, baby? How true are its attributes to you? Do you read your horoscope every day? Do you believe in the Zodiac or think it’s a bunch of B.S.? I’m reading Gallileo’s Daughter by Dava Sobel right now. When Gallileo discovered new heavenly bodies, it didn’t only just affect the Catholic Church and its earth-centric teachings. All doctors in Gallileo’s time were well-versed in astrology, as they needed to cast their patients’ horoscopes and mix up their medicines ‘at the right time.’ With new stuff in the sky, they had to throw out their charts and start fresh. Just another reason to be grateful to live in the 21st century and get our drugs on demand in the drive-thru instead of waiting for the moon to be in Venus or wherever.
One commenter will get some things from my romance stash, and a book thong made with my very own romantic—if clumsy—hands.
Happy New Year (and happy birthday today, Terri)! Party all week long and check back on January 7 when I announce the winner and ponder the wonders of the universe without a telescope.
New Year’s Day is every man’s birthday. ~Charles Lamb

17 comments to “Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!”

1. J.K. Coi
     · December 31st, 2008 at 1:27 am · Link

Awesome, Maggie! Two Years–longer than some relationships, lol!

Congratulations, and I know I can’t wait to see what the next year brings for your blog. I look forward to your insightful and thought provoking nattering.

Happy New Year!

· December 31st, 2008 at 3:54 am · Link

Happy Anniversary, Maggie!!!

I’m not a huge believer of astrology since I’m a Virgo and I’m supposed to be organized and careful with money. But I do possess some of the traits such as being perhaps too critical and a worrywart. Let’s put it this way, I like the horoscopes when they’re good and don’t like them when they’re bad. LOL.

Congrats again! I know there’ll be lots more fun blogs and great things coming your way.

Happy New Year everyone, and Happy Birthday, Terri!

3. Tiffany Chalmers
     · December 31st, 2008 at 7:44 am · Link

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

I’m Aries… and it’s all true: Stubborn, Energetic, Ambitious, Quick-tempered, Enthusiastic, Generous, Fighter, Impatient, Creative, Honest… I love all my traits πŸ™‚ Otherwise I just wouldn’t be me πŸ™‚

4. Stephanie J
     · December 31st, 2008 at 12:13 pm · Link

Happy Birthday to your blog! It’s beem so much fun following you and I can’t wait to see what 2009 brings. πŸ™‚

I don’t really believe in astrology but I think it’s fun to read about and I like seeing what applies to me. I’m a Taurus…stubborn (or firm!), artistic or creative, loyal and faithful, and we have good taste!

5. Linda Banche
     · December 31st, 2008 at 1:45 pm · Link

Your blog is great. Where do your find your pictures–and I don’t mean just the naked men pictures. I’m surprised to find naked men on a Regency blog, but I had a good laugh.

I’m not much for astrology, although there may be some truth in my profile.

I’m a Taurus, too. And Stephanie’s traits go for me.

In general, I’m the typical Taurus, reliable, persistent, and determined. But I think if I believed I was a Libra, or whatever, I’d believe that sign’s traits, too.

Happy New Year

· December 31st, 2008 at 2:00 pm · Link

Happy Birthday, MRMR! I love visiting, Maggie. Looking forward to many more MRMR birthdays.

I’m a Libra also. I can be diplomatic, easygoing, sociable, idealistic and peacable. Not so sure about urbane, romantic and charming. I know I’m indecisive, and a little self-indulgent. Not so gullible and easily infuenced anymore. And I don’t think I’ve ever been flirtatious.

I used to read the horoscopes for the fun of it when I lived at home and my dad got the daily paper delivered. I haven’t checked them out in years. It is kind of fun when they nail it, though.

7. Cheri2628
     · December 31st, 2008 at 2:21 pm · Link

Happy Anniversary! I am a Pisces, and it describes me pretty well. I don’t really pay attention to my daily horoscope because I don’t believe in it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

8. Anonymous
     · December 31st, 2008 at 3:36 pm · Link

Happy 2-yr anniversary from another Capricorn. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing all your wonderful pictures.

I’ve always been a practical soul–my husband gave me a vacuum cleaner for Christmas (plus books, of course), and I was delighted. His women friends at work were aghast: “Are you crazy? You never give your wife a Christmas gift that you have to plug into the wall!”

The most accurate horoscope I ever read said simply, “Clean your house. Company is coming.” I did clean and pick up, laughing at myself. But about an hour later, some friends from high school called. “We’re in town. Can we come by?” (Cue the Twilight Zone music)

Happy New Year, Maggie!

9. beth kery
     · December 31st, 2008 at 4:14 pm · Link

Congratulations, Maggie! And thanks for the naked men.

I’m a Libra as well! Feet firmly on ground while my head is in the clouds. Good MO for a writer.

I’m not much of a horoscope reader, but I have to admit, I’m always struck by the ‘rightness’ of the descriptions, especially for myself and my husband, who is a Scorpio. Intense.

Happy 2009, Maggie!

10. Cynthia Eden
     · December 31st, 2008 at 6:46 pm · Link

Happy anniversary, Maggie! And Happy New Year, too!!

11. Gillian Layne
     · January 1st, 2009 at 3:01 pm · Link

Happy New Year, Maggie! I am loving what you’re saying about Libras (mine is October the 18th :)) and am in shock about the negatives.

Indecisive? Little ole’ changed-her-college major-six-times me? Nah….

· January 2nd, 2009 at 12:13 am · Link

Maggie, MRMR is one of my favorite web destinations. Long may it thrive!

As for astrology, I’m a Gemini:

“Adaptable and versatile, communicative and witty, intellectual and eloquent, youthful and lively”

And also “nervous and tense, superficial and inconsistent, cunning and inquisitive.”

(One site I looked at said that Geminis can make good preachers, but that they are “brilliant but not profound.” LOL)

· January 2nd, 2009 at 12:17 pm · Link

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I’m proud to share my birthday with MRMR. This is one of my favorite blogs and it probably helps that you are one of my favorite people.

I’m a Capricorn and the description pretty much fits me to a T. Like anything else, sometimes that’s a good thing, and sometimes it’s a bad thing. LOL! I’ve found that most of the time the horoscope is pretty accurate when it’s real. I don’t read mine everyday or change my behavior around it, but they can give you insight in how to deal with other people based on their birth sign.

· January 2nd, 2009 at 12:18 pm · Link

Forgot to say, hope you had a great trip!!!

· January 2nd, 2009 at 5:28 pm · Link

Happy 2nd anniversary to MRMR! And thanks for all the intelligent, witty, useful, insightful blogs you have shared with us–and for the best pictures in blogland. I always look forward to my visits here.

I’m a Leo, but an atypical one. I’m more likely to be found in a corner observing than leading the pack. I may be nearer the profile with warm-hearted and creative, and I definitely have the proud and self-indulgent strains. In fact, I’m committed to an ascetic January to compensate for such a self-indulgent December.

· January 2nd, 2009 at 6:23 pm · Link

Happy New Year everybody! We had a great time with our friends in Virginia (all of us went to bed at 10 PM on NYE, though, LOL. We were in a food coma mixed with a few Pimm’s cocktails.). The flights were fine except someone stole the digital camera out of our luggage. Boo!

Thanks so much, Janga! But you know what? Aceticism is highly over-rated. I say go have more chocolate…Indulgence is not a 4-letter word.

Thanks, JK. Not to worry. Natter is my middle name.:)

Ely,I understand completely. I only pay attention when the horoscopes say something good will happen. I’m still waiting…

Tiff, I see them all, especially the stubborn—we’ll say determined—part!

Steph,you sound practically as perfect as me. *g*

Linda, I get lots of pictures from art museum sites online,like the Art Renewal Center and good old Google images. Sometimes I just download the picture and make a blog around it, because one picture generates 1000 words. πŸ™‚ I’m very visual and love to look at vintage art work.

Thanks, Irish. Aren’t we Libras so well-balanced? My husband might beg to differ, however.

Cheri, one of my daughters is a Pisces. She’s pretty perfect too.

Anon, there was a fabulous video this Christmas (Janga sent it to me) about a husband who gave his wife a vacuum cleaner, and he wound up in the doghouse, doomed in a hilarious version of bad husband hell. I’ve told my husband if he gives me anything electrical, he’d better be prepared to be electrocuted.

Thanks for stopping by, Bradford Bunch’s Beth and Cynthia! Lots of sales and celebrations in 2009!

Gillian, I only changed my major three times, but ask me how many different jobs I’ve had.

LOL, RevM. You are as profound as they come! Everyone should read Melinda’s romance sermon that’s on my sidebar.

Terri, I hope you had a wonderful birthday. It was great to be somewhere where it was at least 30 degrees warmer and there wasn’t a lick of snow.Of course our friends complained we brought the cold weather with us from Maine, but they truly do not understand the concept of cold.

17. Marnee Jo
     · January 2nd, 2009 at 9:43 pm · Link

Happy Anniversary/Birthday MRMR! πŸ™‚

I’m a Virgo, like Ely. Though, in typical Virgo fashion, I own up to all the negatives and am a little suspicious about the positives. πŸ™‚

Hope you have another great year!