Feb 28
2009
Live It Up

I’m still on a vacation high, even if it snowed two feet the other day. Yes. Two feet. But I came home filled with a refreshed zest to write and have knocked out thousands of new words on four different projects (amongst them, more spice to the two Courtesan Court books, which my agent likes. Hurray!). My new hero is haunting me, too. If Paradise had a really tortured heroine, this next book is going to have a really tortured hero.

He’s Scottish. Bad. Bent. Looks like an angel with golden curls and blue eyes. Right now his name is Andrew Rossiter. The Rossiter stays, but I’m not sure about the Andrew. He’s done things he should be ashamed of. Isn’t. But his reformation is right around the corner, aided by an Italian-speaking governess (who isn’t necessarily Italian) named Miss Something Peartree. And that’s all I know so far. I’m kicking titles and names around, and I need help. I’m thinking of Master of Something (to go with the Mistress books). Here’s your chance to name my book and my characters. If I ever get published, you’ll be in the dedication.

Andrew is not quite a drag queen, but he’s crossed a line or two. That’s Daughter #2, who encountered these gentlemen on the street in Key West and had the presence of mind to take the picture. Ah. Memories.

18 comments to “Live It Up”

· February 28th, 2009 at 4:13 am · Link

Okay, I love playing, and some you might consider to be cheesy.

Titles:

Heroine Names:
    Angela
    Eleanor
    Katherine “Kate”
    Marea
    Violet

I’ll try to think so some more. This is so much fun; I absolutely love this part of the process!

· February 28th, 2009 at 4:15 am · Link

Try to think of some more. Stupid typos.

· February 28th, 2009 at 11:21 am · Link

Glad you had fun in Key West, Maggie. The DH and I were there 2 years ago around this time and had a blast. Just getting out of the cold is the best!

These were a few that came to mind –
    Master of Mischief
    Master of Misfortune
    Master of Trouble
    Master of Danger

When I saw Miss Peartree, the name that came to me was Prudence.

Hero names:
    Alec
    Alexander
    Cameron/Cam
    Ian
    Will

· February 28th, 2009 at 12:30 pm · Link

Ooh! These are fun!

Ely, I’m really drawn to Master of Sin (wonder if that’s already a title, but love it anyway).

LOL on Prudence, Irish. Now I’ll be singing the Beatles’ Dear Prudence song all day.Peartree is actually a family name for me. It was my Viennese grandmother’s maiden name…which translates to Birnbaum. Peartree is better, yes?

5. Tiffany Chalmers
     · February 28th, 2009 at 6:06 pm · Link

Oh but Prudence and your hero… too much fun and such a great contrast!!!! He’s so very naughty.

Master of Sin I’m sure exists… but there are duplicate titles everywhere.

Titles:

Master of Mischief seems apropo.

Master of Manipulation? Okay so I suck at titles.

Master of Seduction is also very true to his character. Which I think already exists too.

· February 28th, 2009 at 11:42 pm · Link

Oh!!! What about Hannah??

· March 1st, 2009 at 7:10 pm · Link

I’m not good at this. I agonize over names. 🙁

I like Master of Temptation because of the ambiguity, but Nicole Jordan used it in 2004. I checked.

Hero’s Names:
    Aindreas (Celtic variation of Andrew)
    Farrell
    Brandan
    Camdan
    Gavin
    Leith

Heroine’s Names:
    Amabel
    Ivy
    Letitia
    Talitha
    Clair

· March 1st, 2009 at 9:34 pm · Link

I’m so glad to have other people thinking for me! Thanks so much, Tiff, Ely and Janga. I notice Camden is a favorite.

I’ve had fun doing research on Scottish islands this weekend. Must remind myself to finish current WIP. Bad me.

· March 1st, 2009 at 11:19 pm · Link

Looks like everyone has the name thing down pat. I think Master of Redemption is kind of interesting, but I’m not sure it would fit. I think it’s easier to find a name once you have the story done. LOL!

So far I like the names Alec and Kate.

10. Gillian Layne
     · March 2nd, 2009 at 10:50 pm · Link

Everyone did a great job. I’m dreadful at titles. And I don’t think I’d worry to much about “copying” a title, as long as it’s not “Twilight” or “Harry Potter and the Master of ….” —that might land you in a spot of trouble. 🙂

Enjoying the new snow?

· March 3rd, 2009 at 7:36 am · Link

Gillian, Master of My Domanin, LOL? I wouldn’t want Seinfeld after me.

Terri, I told the whole plot to one of my daughters yesterday on the phone and ran all the names by her. She was fairly horrified, but a good sport nonetheless. At least she didn’t hang up on me. *g*

· March 3rd, 2009 at 8:08 am · Link

Maggie, I am shocked! As your NY daughter, I want plot details. Or maybe I do know? I forget to be quite honest with you. LOL.

So I am totally procrastinating as usual. But more female names, with a pinch of irony:

Constance (if you’re not sick of the C names and I kind of like the whole play on being constant)

Faith

Georgette (in an ode to the Heyer)

But you know what, it would be awesome to find a name that hinted at the mask she wore, too. Because you have Andrew and his sordid past. You have her who is an Italian-speaking governess but . . . no, I read that wrong, she can speak Italian. She just isn’t Italian.

Oh, what the hell, just name her Prudence or Patience. *w*

· March 3rd, 2009 at 8:23 am · Link

Ely, I actually considered Penelope, LOL, but she’s the governess heroine of my dead Waking Beauty. I was wondering if I couldn’t graft some scenes into MOS (you know what I’m talkin’ about), but Penelope the character is just not right for Andrew, who still seems to be Andrew. There is actually a St. Prudenzia…so if I want to make her half-Italian…but Pru and Andrew is just too darn cute. It will come.

And actually, I talked to Daughter #1 about Marriage’s plot, but babbled on about Andrew and how he was going to be the next hero. You know me—there’s no plot yet, LOL.

· March 3rd, 2009 at 8:46 am · Link

Pru would be an adorable name and fitting for Andrew. Why not take certain characteristics about Pru from WB and just add it to new and improved Pru? I did it for a passing character in AYW, except I made her punkier-looking than she was in the short story for college.

Your daughter is funny; she will be the first in line to buy the book, too, and proudly say, my mom wrote this.

· March 3rd, 2009 at 10:43 am · Link

This one came to me last night. No idea why. Master of My Dreams.

Though there’s no way of knowing if dreams have anything to do with this story. I just liked the alliteration of the Ms. LOL!

If I talk to my sister or mom about my stories, their eyes just gloss over. And they read Romance! LOL!

· March 3rd, 2009 at 10:53 am · Link

Terri, my daughter said she’d read something if “I wanted her to.” Quite frankly, she doesn’t read historical romance and she’s so busy with a 17 month old I think even my sex scenes would put her to sleep, LOL. Right now my books are my own little secret.

· March 3rd, 2009 at 10:54 am · Link

Oh. Master of Dreams is kind of interesting. Not right for this book…but a sequel? Now you’ve got me thinking. It hurts.

· March 3rd, 2009 at 10:56 am · Link

Oh, you could do a whole series.

Master of My Dreams