Apr 18
2009
The Call

Thanks so much to all of you who stopped by to give me your good wishes! You didn’t ask, but I’ll tell my Call Story anyway. *g*
It was April 15, that dreaded day for taxes and tea parties. πŸ™‚ I was at work in the high school library. It was quiet, extremely quiet. Usually I have about 25-30 kids and adults working on projects and using computers until 5 P.M. But when I got The Call, I was down to two teenage girls and one of the custodians, who came to take a break and eat a forbidden snack in our back office. Don’s a really nice guy. We talk philosophy and non-fiction, politics and family. I’d been out sick for three days with bronchitis, and we had a lot of catching up to do. The school and the country really can’t run without us. πŸ˜‰

Then my cell phone rang. When that happens, I hardly ever answer unless it’s a number I know. I don’t need to pay for a call that tells me the warranty on my car is expired (duh, it’s a 1996 Ford Explorer—I’m surprised the damn thing even starts up in the morning) or that I ‘won’ a cruise if only I’d pay for it. But I recognized the area code of my agent, Laura Bradford. She’d e-mailed me that something might be in the works for Paradise. So I answered, and she talked. Trade paperback. Berkley Heat. 2-book deal. Summer 2010. Some revisions. We were disconnected TWO TIMES, and I was beside myself. Finally on the third connection, which was still all crackly, we agreed she’d call me at home after work. I kept saying, “I’d make more noise, or talk about sex scenes, but I’m in the library.”

When I got off the phone, Don had disappeared. One of the girls—I don’t even know her name—was smiling at me. I told her I’d sold a book, and the girls got excited, more excited than I was, because I felt like I’d been hit by a very large, very yellow school bus. I’m just now picking myself up off the road.

I finished Paradise 3 1/4 books ago, in December 2007. My agent and my editor are more familiar now with it than I am, LOL. So, I’m off to reread, revise and tweak. Now I’m really going to Las Vegas.

And btw, do you know what happens when you type ‘woman’ and ‘phone’ into Google Images? Hello phone sex!

13 comments to “The Call”

· April 18th, 2009 at 11:01 am · Link

I love this call story. It brings out the warm and fuzzies. And the happy tears.

I can’t say it enough . . . I am so thrilled for you!

2. Stephanie J
     · April 18th, 2009 at 12:22 pm · Link

This is one of the best call stories I’ve heard! I wish you could have let out a yell in the library but time enough for that later, right?! πŸ™‚ Gawd, I’m so, so happy for you.

3. Tiffany Chalmers
     · April 18th, 2009 at 4:42 pm · Link

It’s a great call story!

I’m beyond thrilled for you, too! and woohoo on vacay time!

· April 19th, 2009 at 7:03 pm · Link

Thanks, guys! Just plunked down the $12.99 for 24 hours of Internet access. Sat by the pool w/ a pina colada. John ‘forgot’ his bathing suit, so he’s happy in the poker room. πŸ™‚

· April 20th, 2009 at 10:19 am · Link

I was uber-excited with all the other announcements, but this lovely call story has me all teary-eyed. So deserved, so special, so exciting. It’s just awesome. Thanks so much for letting us be specators on this incredible journey. And I’d say with your luck right now, you should be the one at the poker table! LOL!

· April 20th, 2009 at 8:36 pm · Link

What a great call story, Maggie! It made me smile. But knowing it’s you writing and that you have a call story to share makes my smile grow until I’m once again laughing with delight.

7. Gillian Layne
     · April 20th, 2009 at 11:31 pm · Link

What a great story!!!!

You have the best time ever on that vacation! πŸ™‚

8. duchess
     · April 21st, 2009 at 3:29 pm · Link

Maggie I loved your story. One day in the future I hope I have a great story like that too…I can’t wait to read this book…I am sure it is going to be fantastic…Good Luck Girl…and Let us know when it is going to be being released so I can mark it in my calander….

9. J.K. Coi
     · April 21st, 2009 at 8:12 pm · Link

That’s the best story, Mags! I’m thrilled and excited for you.
    Have tons of fun and relax.

10. Anonymous
     · April 21st, 2009 at 11:21 pm · Link

yay! Here is your call story! (I asked about it on EJ’s site…) ~Laura T

11. Anonymous
     · April 21st, 2009 at 11:25 pm · Link

Ok, what did Don say when you told him? And how funny you got the call while you were in the library!! I’m glad it was almost empty so you could talk to her. It’s so awesome LOL. Congrats! I can’t wait till 2010…!!! ~Laura T

· April 22nd, 2009 at 12:03 am · Link

Thanks again, everyone! One more day of sunshine and then it’s back to the real world and work. Boo.

And I told Don the next day. He got tired of waiting for me to get off the phone, LOL.

13. Marnee Jo
     · April 22nd, 2009 at 4:08 pm · Link

This is such a wonderful call story. I love it. πŸ™‚ And I’m so happy that I’ll see your name in print next summer. How totally exciting and cool.

Hope you’re having fun!!