Apr 24
2009
Back to the Future

My husband and I had a delightful time in Sin City. The temps were in the 90s, and I sat slathered in sun block and read Marrying the Captain by Carla Kelly, Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham, Why Mermaids Sing by C.S. Harris, The Secret Wedding by Jo Beverley and Beyond Heaving Bosoms by those smartypants bitches Candy Tan and Sarah Wendell. The latter, a gift from Ely, is a hoot. Since I’ve been giving major thought to what makes the ‘essential’ romance, I’m paying careful attention to their theories and themes.

My books fall pretty solidly into what I call the Redemption Range. Everything I’ve written in the past couple of years features characters who have made mistakes, usually when they were much younger, but have not let the mistakes make them. Oh, there’s plenty of guilt and regret to go around, but I’m reminded of the layers necessary to form a pearl. Without the irritant, that mollusk would not secrete the calcium carbonate and conchiolin to create one of nature’s beauties. Everything in our past determines who we are today.

I’m looking forward to transforming Paradise’s Hart and Eden into lustrous, smooth, layered characters. It’s been a while since I reflected on them. Eden’s mistakes are rather more spectacular than the usual Regency heroine’s, and I’m sure I made a few of my own as I worked on the manuscript. I’ll keep you posted.
Read any good books lately? What’s your theme?

10 comments to “Back to the Future”

1. J.K. Coi
     · April 25th, 2009 at 8:39 am · Link

I loved Paradise just the way it was, but I’m excited to see what you’ll do with it now. πŸ™‚

I’ve been reading the Smart Bitches book too, but I’m not that far yet.

2. Tiffany Chalmers
     · April 25th, 2009 at 8:46 am · Link

I can’t wait for a new paradise… it blew my mind away before… I can’t imagine how glorious it’ll be with more layering.

I really must try this SB book… and I want to know how that Harris book is, I’ve been eyeballing them for quite some time.

What have I read… hmmmm… lots of paranormal. That’s usually what I read on book binges. πŸ™‚

· April 25th, 2009 at 11:07 am · Link

Yay for Paradise!!! You know how I love it already; the revisions will just make it doubly awesome.

I just read To Have and To Hold by Patricia Gaffney. Absolutely loved it—you would, too, Maggie, if you haven’t yet read it. I thought the SB book was devilishly funny.

As to themes, redemption and acceptance all the way.

· April 25th, 2009 at 4:36 pm · Link

And total tangent—I love the painting. Simply gorgeous!

· April 26th, 2009 at 10:56 am · Link

JK, I finished the SB book yesterday in the sunshine. Parts of it made me laugh out loud.

Tiff, I loved the Harris book, and want to read them all now. Ely sent me When Angels Fall and I can’t decide if I should start that or Silent on the Moor. What to do, what to do—I know I’ll love them both.

Ely, thanks!I don’t think I’ve ever read Gaffney—must try her.

· April 27th, 2009 at 12:53 pm · Link

I’ve been reading all about the Developing Third World Nations and piles of business reports. Neither I’d recommend. *sigh* Oh, and don’t forget the softball rules that NO ONE followed in the first game. Why do I bother?

I think my theme is pushing past old prejudices and fears to get to something better. Write what you know and all. πŸ™‚

Can’t wait to read Paradise be it the current condition or the new and improved. It was good enough to sell so you couldn’t be too far off.

7. Houston A.W. Knight
     · April 28th, 2009 at 7:14 am · Link

I haven’t been reading anything of late…too busy writing. Trying to get a book done for the RWA Nationals…it’s a Futuristic Fantasy with a touch of paranormal.

Interesting blog, Maggie. I’ll be back
    Hawk

· April 28th, 2009 at 10:40 am · Link

You know I’ve loved Paradise since I read the first snippet, Maggie. I can’t wait to read the published version.

I haven’t read the Smart Bitches book yet. It’s on my TBB list. Maybe I will find it when I go searching for Vision in White and At Last Comes Love.

· April 28th, 2009 at 8:02 pm · Link

Terri, you brave baseball mom (or softball or whatever they call it, LOL). I know you’re going to be pretty happy when the school work is done.

Thanks for visiting, Hawk! I’m skipping RWA until I can sing country music next year in Nashville. πŸ™‚

Janga, will you sing with me? I just finished Silent on the Moor—can’t wait for more but guess I’ll have to.

· April 30th, 2009 at 9:29 am · Link

I like redemption storylines, Maggie. But I have a feeling I’ll like any theme you want to try. So, count me as one that will take whichever version of Paradise you’re writing.

I’m starting Elizabeth Hoyt’s To Beguile a Beast. So I guess the theme for this week is Beauty and the Beast. I can’t wait. I’ve had a miserable week and can’t wait to dive in. I have to make myself do some housework first, though.