Jun 18
2009
Jane in June

So, it’s official. I’m on vacation. I spent last weekend revamping my writing room instead of my writing. I’d been using a tiny folding desk left over from a daughter’s college dorm room, so I brought up our Thanksgiving-extra-seating folding table, which gives me another foot or so to make a mess on. The room is really too small for any sort of real desk. I’ve got masses of research books and files shoved under the table now. If I get ambitious, I might get some Velcro and fabric and make a skirt. Don’t hold your breath. I took four huge black trash bags of keeper books upstairs to the spare bedroom, and discovered all sorts of things. Apparently I own two books entitled Jane Austen, Feminism and Fiction and Presenting Miss Jane Austen. I’ll let you know how they are (again, don’t hold your breath).

But now that my desk is newly arranged, Sadie noticed my Jane Austen Action Figure and tried to remove the quill from her cold, dead hand. Sadie’s middle name is Jane, so she seemed entranced with the little plastic Jane. She kept putting Miss Austen to sleep on a pillow whispering “shh” and then yanking her up, giggling maniacally. No naps for Jane or Sadie Jane, or for me either. I’ve been pretty tired—it’s been a looong school year—and even Sadie noticed when the air went out of my balloon Sunday afternoon. She put her arms around me and asked, “Matter?” Empathy, and she’s not even two. I have great hopes for her.

So I’m back to writing a book which features a two year old boy on my sparkly new desk. Write what you know, right? How do you feel about kids in romances? What do you know about Jane Austen? How clean is your desk?

For a double-dose of me today, check out my writing tips post on Vauxhall Vixens, totally pirated from another site. Good stuff.

8 comments to “Jane in June”

· June 18th, 2009 at 10:19 am · Link

I cleaned off my desk last night. I haven't had the comp on it in months because I could find the top of it. Now the ex-inlaws are coming to town to pick up kiddo so I was pushed to clean. I feel much better about it now. My mission for next week is to completely re-arrange the office to look and feel more like an office. We'll see how that goes.

I'm sure Sadie Jane will give you loads of inspiration this summer. Maybe more inspiration to play than write, but it still sounds fun. LOL!

· June 18th, 2009 at 4:31 pm · Link

I just love Sadie. She's adorable! (And clearly a romance writer in training.) 🙂

Clearly, I love kids in books. And animals. So, I don't get annoyed by them.

And your kid characters are so good. I can't wait for everyone to meet James in Mistress by Midnight. I told you back then what I thought of James.

But Andrew's son is so adorable.

· June 18th, 2009 at 11:14 pm · Link

Sadie sounds great, Maggie! I loved the stage where my daughter treated everything like it was her baby. More inanimate objects took naps during that period than I can recount.

I absolutely love children in stories. I've stated before on numerous posts that I think children add a special element, especially to a love story. IMHO, inserting children into the mix helps showcase certain characteristics of the H/H the reader wouldn't see otherwise. It's a great tool for an author and a real pleasure for the reader.

I can't wait!

· June 18th, 2009 at 11:16 pm · Link

Oh, and congrats on summer vacation! I'm finding it nice to be able to sleep in. I forget whether you're one of those rise with the birds no matter what people or not! Are you sleeping in?

5. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · June 18th, 2009 at 11:42 pm · Link

Irish, I was actually sleeping in before school closed! Had a horrible time dragging myself out of bed. I woke up all year around 5 AM until the last few weeks. Today I was awake by 6. I do my 'best' writing early in the morning, such as it is.

Yay for clean desks, Terri! Mine's messed up already, LOL. But Jane is standing guard.

Ely,thanks so much about James! You know how concerned I was about him, but I think he's a hero in training. It would be fun to throw him and Beatrix into a Victorian book in the future, LOL. More research.

· June 19th, 2009 at 12:41 am · Link

Maggie, OMG, yes!

7. J.K. Coi
     · June 19th, 2009 at 12:18 pm · Link

Urgh to your summer vacation (just kidding) 🙂

My desk is a mess. I won't clean it since it's mostly hubby's mess 🙂

My first and second books had no kids, but as the series progresses and time passes, suddenly there are two children involved in this world of mine–and they're growing so fast !

8. Tiffany Chalmers w/a Tiffany Clare
     · June 19th, 2009 at 9:28 pm · Link

I write all over the place in my house. Just have to do it on a clean surface, like if I'm in the living room I make sure the table is cleaned and washed (I'm weird). And I want a writing room, sooo badly. I'd also love a job with summer vacay, but no such luck there.

Children in books… love them. Hidden Beauty has one, obviously, but IB and now UB don't. Next one does 🙂