Jun 21
2009
Introducing…

There’s been a flutter of activity. My Berkley editor’s assistant has asked for a bio and a book summary, they’re meeting Tuesday with the art department to discuss the cover, and everyone has agreed on the new pen name for my more erotic offerings. You’ve probably noticed already….ta dah! I’m Margaret Rowe! Margaret Rowe sounds like a buttoned-up librarian who goes a little crazy after a Margarita, which would be entirely accurate. Rowe is a family name (my son’s name is Christopher Rowe Robinson). My husband calls me Margaret when we’re fighting (see bio below), which really was the start of it all. So that’s the new me. I’ve registered www.margaretrowe.net which will someday be up and running thanks to the genius that is Frauke. Here is the mock-up (not quite finished) for the naughtier me. I’m saving Maggie Robinson for less edgy pursuits (and so I can keep the day job, LOL).

Here’s what I sent Berkley:

Several years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, really annoyed with my husband. Instead of smothering him with a pillow, I decided to get up and write— to create the perfect man. I’m still married (and reluctantly admit I’m not perfect myself), but have created several pretty perfect heroes since that fateful night. It was time I finally put my English degree from Adelphi University to work.

Until my midnight keyboarding, I’d been a teacher, librarian, newspaper reporter, administrative assistant to two non-profits, community volunteer and mother of four. Now I can call myself a romance writer in Maine. There’s nothing I like better than writing about people who make mistakes, but don’t let the mistakes make them. I’m all about the redemptive power of love—and a good night’s sleep.

I left out Realtor in that long list, but I was one for eight years. I was an Antique and Vintage Properties Manager for a large real estate company in Connecticut. As soon as I got my Realtor’s license, the market tanked. We lost $25,000 ourselves selling our house when we moved. I had deals fall apart at the closing and septic fields rise, waited months for commissions, showed one couple about 100 houses and they didn’t buy anything. So while I do have some happy memories getting a young Coast Guard couple into their first home and selling a charming little red schoolhouse, I tend to block out The Real Estate Years.

What job would you leave out of your bio? What’s your favorite drink? I’m very fond of sangria with tons of fruit. All that Vitamin C, you know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

15 comments to “Introducing…”

1. J.K. Coi
     · June 21st, 2009 at 9:55 am · Link

Oh Maggie (-uh, Margaret), I'm so excited!!!

I think I'll happily leave out the high school job at McDonalds or the university job selling men's clothing, from any bio I write in future. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. MistyJo
     · June 21st, 2009 at 2:12 pm · Link

Maggie, I can't wait to read your books. Love the sound of Margaret Rowe!

I keep a couple of jobs off my resume, but the main one is when I worked for Fred's for one week. I hated it, and my boss was this little, beady man with a nervous twitch about him who would sneak up on me. He was so close that when he spoke behind me, I would jump, bumping into him. Hated that job!

I don't have a favorite drink. As long as it is fruity and girly, I'm good. I can't stomach whiskey, like Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Just the smell of them make my stomach churn.

3. seton
     · June 21st, 2009 at 3:09 pm · Link

Margaret Rowe sounds great and I like the skin on the new website.

Sangria is delish. I like any drink with fruit in it. I usually order a screwdriver but am not much of a drinker.

4. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · June 21st, 2009 at 4:20 pm · Link

Hi, Seton! Yeah, I used to be able to drink people under the table, but now I just get sleepy. My husband says he's never seen me drunk in a zillion years of marriage, but maybe he was too drunk to tell, LOL. Seriously, neither one of us drinks except for holidays/family reunions, our yearly trip to Las Vegas and then I nurse one drink for hours. I'm a cheap date.But I'm looking forward to a summertime batch of sangria.

JK, I see kids from the high school I work at employed at McDonalds all the time, and usually they just can't stand the pressure and quit. For all the negativity about fast food workers (flipping burgers, etc), it is HARD. I know I couldn't do it! I worked selling women's clothes when I was in college, and I think I bought more than I earned each paycheck. ๐Ÿ™‚

Misty, creepy boss! What is Fred's?

· June 21st, 2009 at 4:33 pm · Link

I love it. The name, the bio, the website. It's all fabulous! This is so exciting! Squee!

· June 21st, 2009 at 8:57 pm · Link

Maggie, this is so cool! I like Margaret Rowe (I'm going to tell people that I get to call you Maggie! LOL). It's unbelievable wrapping your mind around everything that has to happen before your book goes on the shelf. Thanks for sharing all these important steps with us.

I worked in a jewerly store for about 5 minutes. I would definitely leave that off. My boss was a Zsa Zsa Gabor nightmare! She definitely thought she was way more important than a clerk in a mall jewerly store should!

7. MistyJo
     · June 21st, 2009 at 10:31 pm · Link

Maggie, it's a far cheaper version of Wal-Mart, but it's not owned by Wal-Mart. I agree. The guy was creepy.

I'm a light-weight, too, when it comes to alcoholic beverages. I get out once, maybe twice, a year, and to make up for the infrequency, I have a tendency to take over whatever bar I'm in. Bill's cue that it's time to leave is when I announce to everyone there that I love them.

8. Tiffany Chalmers w/a Tiffany Clare
     · June 22nd, 2009 at 6:41 am · Link

YAY Maggie/Margaret!

I adore this bio. I'm scared to write mine. It'll be so boring. I've done so little. I've always worked as an administrator in one capacity or another. So very boring. Though I know famous makeup artists and hairstylists (and count them among some of my best friends) from an old job. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sangria minus the triple sec (sp?) is awesome. Yes, add extra oranges for vitamin C! LOL

9. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · June 22nd, 2009 at 6:43 pm · Link

Tiff, I never add the extra liquor, or I'd fall down. And you're not a bit boring!

Ah, Misty. I cry, and then everybody laughs at me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ely,I love it that I can share all the stuff with you guys! It makes it more real and somehow less confusing.

Irish, I couldn't be trusted in a jewelry store—if I spent all my money on clothes, just think what I'd do with jewelry!

10. Stephanie J
     · June 23rd, 2009 at 11:19 am · Link

I'm jumping on a bit too late here but the pen name is fantastic. I really love it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I worked at Victoria's Secret for my first job. While I'm not ashamed and I have the best stories it's always awkward to tell people I worked there. People tend to assume things…

· June 23rd, 2009 at 2:02 pm · Link

What a great bio, Maggie! The voice is so you, and the nom de plume is impressive.

My job history is boring. Post-college, it consists of teaching English. At least the job itself was never boring.

My drinking history is boring too. It's pretty much limited to an occasional glass of wine.

12. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · June 23rd, 2009 at 2:44 pm · Link

Thanks, Janga! Teaching English seems like a prerequisite for good writing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Steph—NEVER too late! And does it make me weird to be thinking about you and underwear now?

· June 25th, 2009 at 1:25 pm · Link

Not sure how I missed this but it's so fun to see all this rolling right along. Just amazing and exciting and inspiring all at the same time.

I leave out train engineer as it's a hard one to explain. But I would leave in Easter Bunny. (I really was…for one day!)

14. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · June 25th, 2009 at 7:54 pm · Link

Oh, I want the details. My dad was train-mad and worked in a switch tower as a teenager!

· June 25th, 2009 at 8:13 pm · Link

Well, it's nothing that glamorous. The same company that put up all the displays in the for Easter and Xmas would put up a little train for the kiddies every year. Every holiday for about three years I'd work the train. It was fun until the kids would interrupt my reading to give them a ride. LOL! Not that easy to go from a hot sex scene to herding 5 yr olds around.