Jul 9
2009
Mayday! Mayday!

Danger, Will Robinson…I mean Maggie Robinson. Mistress by Mistake is now coming out in May 2010! Two months sooner than I expected, two months less to get myself prepped for publication. I’m excited, I’m nervous, I’m just a little crazy. But you knew that. 🙂 The Vixens are calling me their May Queen, and funny thing—when I went to college in the Dark Ages, I almost was the May Queen. You can see me in my May Day heyday as second runner-up. I still look just the same. Ha.
Now, I don’t want you to get the idea that I keep old newspaper clippings at hand to relive my skinnier glory days. As it happens, I was in my basement last week on a mad search for something and came across this amongst the various boxes that are labeled ‘miscellaneous.’ No word was ever truer. I found college term papers and WW II-era telegrams, baby pictures of unknown babies and mouse droppings. I never found what I was looking for, and now I think I need to spend even more time in the damp dank storage room and start pitching stuff. The task seems overwhelming. I teased one of my daughters that she can take care of it when I’m dead, which seems only fair, as half the stuff in those boxes comes from our late parents’ cellars to begin with.
So storage and archiving have been on my mind. But I really need to be writing, not walking down memory lane and sneezing over crushed cardboard boxes. Once again I’ll postpone the clean-up. My husband and I talked about how so much information is now scanned and saved to disks and pendrives, eliminating the possibility of mouse droppings. He told me I’d better flee the burning house with the pendrives that hold my manuscripts. Just in case, I’ve mailed every book to myself. My agent and editors have copies too. But basically, I am not organized and orderly. I stuff things in drawers for ‘later,’ and when ‘later’ comes, I wonder why I ever saved any of it. I need an assistant!
How do you keep track of important things? Save your work? Anybody want to come to my cellar for the summer?

8 comments to “Mayday! Mayday!”

1. J.K. Coi
     · July 9th, 2009 at 6:00 pm · Link

I'm really old fashioned-I have a scrap book 🙂 Everything is in it. Is it sad that all my fabulous accomplishments still don't quite fill up one scrap book? 🙂

2. Ericka Scott
     · July 9th, 2009 at 8:22 pm · Link

My house is full of drawers of things "saved for later"….mostly accumulated by my husband and kids, I'm the neat one…but in a house of packrats, I've given up!

Congrats on the early release! Now you have a new name for your blog…Maggie Robinson means May Queen! LOL

Pamsko – writing as: Ericka

3. Tiffany Clare
     · July 10th, 2009 at 6:17 am · Link

I never save stuff. Okay, that is a bit of a lie… we have one of those old cedar closets in our bedroom (you have to move my piano to get to it). It's about eight feet deep, 12 feet tall and jam packed full of stuff. The only think I know that is in there is all my fur stoles (my precious mink beady glass eyeballs and all) so the damn moth's can't get to them.

My hubby on the other hands tries to keep everything I think this is a Virgo trait. So I basically hide it till he's forgotten about it, then get rid of it.

4. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · July 10th, 2009 at 7:21 am · Link

Ooh, Tiff, my mom used to have those mink and fox fur stoles..eww…they scared me to death with their snapping little mouths. They hung inside the back of the cellar door, which stopped me cold from ever going down there when I was a kid (not to mention that my dad's 'crazy brother' lived down there—my father would dress up weirdly—not in the stoles—and come up to scare me and my friends. Yeah, my family was crazy.).

Ericka, I go through bursts of extreme neatness which never last long. Honestly, it's scary what's in my cellar. Thank God I don't have an attic!

JK, my stuff would fill up about 100 scrapbooks, and they're not accomplishments, LOL.

· July 10th, 2009 at 3:32 pm · Link

I so don't save things unless they're books or my wips. LOL.

Yay on the May release! It's so exciting!!!

· July 11th, 2009 at 9:56 am · Link

I discarded tons of stuff when a 2008 move forced me to go through closets and drawers, but I have a hard time getting rid of sentimental things. My old Beatles records, a tee shirt that belonged to the love of my life, a card a former student made because, he said, "Hallmark doesn't know what I feel"–these I just cannot jettison.

Maggie, you were gorgeous as an almost-May Queen back when, and you will be gorgeous when you rule May 2010.

7. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · July 11th, 2009 at 8:54 pm · Link

Thanks, Janga. 🙂 I've moved a lot, but I keep retaping the boxes and they seem to be multiplying like bunnies in the basement.

Ely, nothing? I bet your mom has your stuff!

· July 13th, 2009 at 2:41 pm · Link

It's the oddest thing, my office at work is uber-organized but I can't pull this same thing off in my house. Though I did some major cleaning this spring and the giant box that was just filled with paperwork is not cleaned out. There are actually *gasp* files in my file cabinet. Only took two years.

I'd love to be your assistant. Seriously, throw in free room and board for me and kiddo plus a moderate salary and I'm there. LOL!

So excited to get my hands on this book two months sooner!

Chirp »