Jul 17
2009
Self-Imposed Exile

I didn’t go to Washington, D.C. for RWA’s national conference. I thought about it, but scheduled a vacation, some necessary dental work and doctor’s appointments for my summer off instead, so there went any discretionary $. (New glasses! I’m excited! I can actually see the computer screen now…who knows how that may positively affect my writing?*g*) I was going to have carpal tunnel surgery too, but now that I have to finish two books, I’d better have two free hands. I know I’m missing out on all sorts of fun networking, so I’ve sulked and sweat over the keyboard, trying hard not to check out live-blogging and Tweeting.

I challenged myself to kind of avoid the Internet for the duration of the conference, with the exception of e-mails from Tiff, who was there, and Kris and Ely, who were not. My goal was to have 40,000 words on Any Wicked Thing by the end of Sunday, July 19. I flunked the anti-Internet test, and as of today I’ve only got 35,000 words. Hmm.

Next year, however, I plan to be in Nashville. Yee-haw!

If you went to D.C., stop in and let me know how much fun you had so I can gnash my teeth. If you did not, what was your goal this week? What are you looking forward to?
Smug Update: As of July 19 at 7:38 PM, I have 40,138 words on AWT. Yay!

10 comments to “Self-Imposed Exile”

· July 19th, 2009 at 8:20 pm · Link

Hi Maggie! My Grand Plan is to somehow convince RWA that the annual conference NEEDS a chaplain–for all those pastoral emergencies, late-night counseling sessions, prayers before awards presentations, etc. And I would be happy to volunteer! Think they'll go for it?

2. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · July 19th, 2009 at 8:23 pm · Link

Oh, Rev M—they need you to steer them away from crisp hair. You know, I think you could present your romance sermon as a workshop. They just might go for it. It's in Nashville next year—we could go out and sing sad twangy songs together!

· July 19th, 2009 at 11:24 pm · Link

I am so tempted to just show up and stalk the convention. DH and I met and married close to Nashville so I'm sentimental about Tennessee. (Then I could be there in the room to applaud when you win your first RITA, yes?)

4. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · July 20th, 2009 at 6:32 am · Link

Ha. No that would be 2011, and it's not gonna happen unless you pray really hard for me, LOL. 2010 has a wonderful crop of debut authors (Tiffany Clare, Courtney Milan, Sara Lindsey, Beverley Kendall to name just four at this early morning hour), not to mention all the other great writers coming out with their usual masterpieces. I'm just so incredibly happy to be joining them.

You can always come to the literacy signing. You can also attend RWA w/o being a member—it's just pretty pricy. I'm starting to save up right now (and lose 20 pounds—the same twenty pounds I needed to lose before this year's convention. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

· July 20th, 2009 at 1:09 pm · Link

Oh, I so hope to be in N'ville next year!

· July 20th, 2009 at 2:46 pm · Link

I hope all the Vixens make it next year. It was a blast but I'm exhausted! And I didn't change time zones or lose a lot of sleep like last year. This thing just takes it out of you.

It was great to see Tiff again though I missed seeing the munchkins. Yay on the words flowing, Maggie. I can't wait to hug you in person in Nashville!!!

7. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · July 20th, 2009 at 6:39 pm · Link

Terri and Ely, you both better be there. Ter, since you lived there, I'm counting on you to be my expert for what we should do. I might have one or two of my daughters w/me. I told Ely they are much more fun than I am—and can stay awake longer—I'll send them out in my place, LOL.

· July 21st, 2009 at 6:28 pm · Link

Things have changed a bit since I was there but I can tell you we'll all have to take one night to hit 2nd Avenue. That should get you all the country culture you can stand.

And the General Jackson showboat can be fun. Good thing about that is if it picks up where it used to, it's right there at the hotel.

9. Kate Diamond
     · July 23rd, 2009 at 10:43 pm · Link

I hope to make the next conference, as well. For that to happen, I actually need to finish my book and go PRO.

Love the picture you used!

10. Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe
     · July 24th, 2009 at 8:12 am · Link

Kate, I'm unlocking the chains now. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you there.