Nov 20
2009
Oldies but Goodies

R and RAnd I’m not talking about myself. 🙂 I’ve denied myself time to read lately, because I’m trying really hard to finish the current project (17,000 words to go!). In addition, I’ve worked on the back cover copy for Any Wicked Thing (with the help of several editors, my agent and my crit partners…it takes a village), ordered gorgeous bookmarks, finished copy edits for Mistress by Mistake, came up with a novella synopsis, and stared at my new websites like a lunatic way too many times. I have a stat counter now, and all I can say is thank you so much to all of you who’ve clicked on here (over 1,000 hits this week, and they’re not all me, I swear*g*), signed up for the newsletter or left a comment. I’ll be getting in touch with everybody in the coming weeks (including the Twitter people who spread the word) to send you some goodies. If you comment on this post too, you’re on my list. Still celebrating the Grand Unveiling!

But I’ve wandered off topic. Gee, who could imagine that? I finished a marvelous book, first published in 1981, Eva Ibbotson’s A Countess Below Stairs. Nowadays I guess it’s considered a YA, but as an OA, I loved every wonderful word. It was magical. I’m also reading Mary Jo Putney’s 1989 The Rake and The Reformer. I’m not very far along, but I am going to love this book. I know I’m in such good hands, and with Signet Super Regency on the cover, how could I go wrong?

December’s RT paid tribute to writers who’ve been bringing it for over two decades. What books or writers have you loved for a long time? What have you read recently that you think will be a future classic? RT has called Courtney Milan’s Proof by Seduction “a book for all time!”

10 comments to “Oldies but Goodies”

1. limecello
     · November 20th, 2009 at 4:57 pm · Link

Hmmm what books have I loved for a long time? The Witch of Blackberry Pond. These Happy Golden Years. On Fortune’s Wheel. So those are all kid/YA books…
    Romance? Old school SEP, a number of Lisa Kleypas’s books… Judith Ivory’s Black Silk…
    And yay for continuing to celebrate the grand unveiling!
    I’m also impatiently waiting to get my hands on Courtney’s book!

2. Barbara Elness
     · November 20th, 2009 at 8:46 pm · Link

I’ve loved Johanna Lindsey, Jude Deveraux, Nora Roberts, and Lynn Kurland for a long time. More recently I’ve fallen in love with Eloisa James, Julia Quinn and Julie Ann Long. I’m not sure what will be a future classic, but I sure loved Eloisa James’ A Duke of Her Own, which was fantastic!

· November 21st, 2009 at 7:20 pm · Link

limecello, I LOVED The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I think it’s time to read it again.

Barbara, Eloisa James is one of my favorite authors, too. I thought she redeemed Leopold quite cleverly. In fact, everyone you mentioned is pretty clever and classic. 😉

4. Terri Osburn
     · November 23rd, 2009 at 3:06 pm · Link

Huzzah on all the amazing accomplishments! Thanks so much for taking us all along on this ride with you.

For oldies, I’d have to go with the author who got me through HS alive – Judith McNaught. Two others who truly stand the test of time is Kathleen Woodiwiss and Elizabeth Lowell. I’m not sure some readers realize how far back Lowell goes or that she wrote wonderful Historicals. They are certainly worth hunting for!

· November 23rd, 2009 at 9:22 pm · Link

Terri, I’m so glad you’re on the ride with me. Feels like bumper cars right now, LOL.

I finished The Rake and the Reformer. Just absolutely fabulous. I gues MJP updated it a little when it was re-released as The Rake, but I thought it was perfect just as it was. I’ve read most of her back list, but must glom more.

6. Calila
     · November 24th, 2009 at 12:50 pm · Link

My favorites that i’ve loved for years are Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Eloisa James, Julia Quinn.

· November 24th, 2009 at 4:14 pm · Link

Maggie, every step is more exciting than the last. Thanks for sharing all the squee-worthy moments with us.

I’m so glad you loved the Ibbotson. She definitely does create magic. She has others that are wonderful too. Magic Flutes has the best self-made hero and an unforgettable scene in a cemetery.

The Rake is one of my all-time favorites. MJP is one of my never-fail authors. I cherish some of her books more than others, but I never regret having read one. I reread the Silk trilogy a few months ago, and fell in love with those characters all over again.

My list of books I’ve loved a long time is long indeed. I have been reading MJP, Jo Beverley, Mary Balogh, Edith Layton, and Nora Roberts for two decades or more. I go back even further with Austen and Heyer.

I agree that Proof by Seduction will join the great romances. I’m betting some Maggie Robinson/Margaret Rowe books will too.

· November 24th, 2009 at 8:45 pm · Link

Calila, for some reason it took me forever to start to read Nora Roberts. I love her, but I’ll probably never be able to read everything. She just writes too darned much, LOL. I am in awe.

Ha, Janga. Doubtful, but I’m flattered. 😉 I know we love the same authors. I’m saving Courtney’s book for when I finish the current ms and copyedits for Tempting Eden, which should roll in shortly. Right now I’ve got three sets of h/hs warring in my brain—I need CM’s fortune teller to straighten me out.

9. Gillian Layne
     · November 25th, 2009 at 12:18 am · Link

Hi Maggie!

I love Irresistible by Karen Robards. It just embodies everything I love about historical romance. It’s a delicious read.

· November 25th, 2009 at 9:05 am · Link

Gillian, I don’t think I’ve ever read anything by Karen Robards (blushing in shame). I’ll have to put that on my list. Thanks for the rec! I’ve abandoned a whole bunch of books this fall, but I think I’ve been so preoccupied with my own writing, I’ve been very impatient and preoccupied.