Jan 2
2010
Starting the New Year Off Right

magdeskI’ve had a busy busy break. Finished electronic copyedits for Margaret Rowe’s Berkley Heat debut Tempting Eden. Finished Maggie Robinson’s first draft of Book #4 for Kensington Brava, Master of Sin.Wrote 1/3 of the Kensington novella that’s due in April. Sent the page proofs back for Mistress by Mistake .(It’s almost a book! It’s mine!)

It wasn’t all work. We had a wonderful time with our family, and spent three days in Virginia to celebrate the new year. And I got the best Christmas present from my youngest daughter. She gave me a beautiful red Cross pen to sign my beautiful red books with in Nashville. I got a little weepy when I opened it. Everything is becoming so real. And a little complicated. I said to someone this whole writing thing now is like 24-hour-a-day homework in a whole bunch of subjects (juggling multiple books), plus you have to grade the papers yourself (when you edit/revise/proofread). But I’m not complaining.*g*

Were you good about doing your homework, or did you put it off until the last minute? What was your favorite gift this holiday season?

P.S. That’s my newish desk. I had to replace the printer since this picture was taken…and the dust I discovered was daunting. 😳

13 comments to “Starting the New Year Off Right”

1. Tiffany Clare
     · January 3rd, 2010 at 9:40 am · Link

It depended on what class homework was for if I was good at it 🙂 It’s getting close to the release of MBM and TE! I’m very excited!

· January 3rd, 2010 at 4:20 pm · Link

I can’t believe it’s almost the release for MBM and TE either! I’m so excited for you!

And I’m also insanely jealous that you’ve written so much. I’m going to send you my WIP and have you write it. 😛

· January 3rd, 2010 at 7:44 pm · Link

Ely, my head will explode if I cram another couple into it. There are times when I’m typing and I can’t remember the hero’s name, LOL. And besides, I could never do justice to your delicious tortured guy.

Tiff, I remember getting up at 4 AM to write papers that were due at 8 AM. I guess that was good training for what I do now. 🙂

4. Terri Osburn
     · January 5th, 2010 at 1:33 pm · Link

I’m going to have to stop coming by here. I feel like more of a slacker every time. LOL! But then I’d miss you, so I guess I’ll visit.

I can’t get over how many books you have coming out this year. In fact, how many again? And I can’t wait to be one of the first in line to get your autograph in Nashville. I hope you have lots of ink in that pen. 🙂

The desk looks great!

· January 5th, 2010 at 7:32 pm · Link

Terri, you’d better keep dropping by. Or else. *g*

I know for sure I’ll have 3 books out this year (one an anthology), maybe 4. Right now Margaret Rowe’s 2nd book looks like a Dec 2010 or Jan 2011; it’s not settled yet. I have 2 novellas still to write, and revisions for everything else, but I’ve started to think about what might come next. 😈

6. Terri Osburn
     · January 5th, 2010 at 8:03 pm · Link

By the time you get to Nationals, you’re really going to need a drink. I’ll start your tab when I get there. LOL! (Even if it’s just iced tea.)

· January 5th, 2010 at 8:30 pm · Link

Terri, I need a drink RIGHT NOW! 😉

· January 5th, 2010 at 11:12 pm · Link

I’m with Tiff on the homework. I alwayd delayed math homework as long as possible, but I loved the English, journalism, and history assignments. I was half a nerd. 🙂

This is going to be such an exciting year for you, Maggie. Count me in your cheering section for all the achievements.

• Maggie Robinson
      8.1
       · January 6th, 2010 at 4:39 am · Link

Thanks so much, Janga! Because everything is still so new, I’m filled with wonder and worry. Promo is the big hang-up for me—must shove myself out there. (I’d be fine if I could just stay in my PJs and write and not bother with anything else, LOL)

9. Irisheyes
     · January 6th, 2010 at 8:39 pm · Link

You make me feel like a slacker too, Maggie. And I think you hit the nail on head as to why I don’t write more – I was never very good at homework unless I knew it was due within the next 12 hours! I’m afraid I’m doomed to be a forever dabbler!

I’m seriously thinking about making that trip to Nashville if only to stand in everyone’s book-signing lines and giving you all a big hug (and high five)! 😉

(Please tell me your writing area isn’t always that neat)

• Maggie Robinson
      9.1
       · January 7th, 2010 at 6:35 am · Link

Irish, you don’t want to know what’s on my desk right now. That picture was taken the very first day the desk was delivered and I’d finished crawling on the floor to hook everything up. But there’s not much free space on the top (like I can’t actually write anything by hand on it unless I shove the monitor back), so I wind up tossing books and papers on the floor. Someday I will be totally organized. Snort.

10. Connie
     · January 18th, 2010 at 3:39 pm · Link

Hi Maggie!
    I tried to email you and it got sent back as address unknown, so I thought I’d just have to comment since I know you get these! LOL I hope you don’t mind. I wanted to contact you as an aspiring author, also from Maine, I was wondering if you have any interest in being a mentor? I’m sure you get requests like this all the time, and I almost didn’t write, but I was so excited to find an author I enjoy also lives in Maine!

I’ve been writing for most of my life, but never really took myself seriously until recently. My husband encouraged me to finish a book, which I’ve done, but now comes the hard part, selling it! He wasn’t pleased when I told him it might take a year or more! I could really relate to your Bio where you said you were fed up with your hubby so you decided to create a perfect man on paper! Guilty!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I hope we can be friends. Is it snowing where you are? Weatherman said 2 inches yesterday and we’ve got at least 3 so far today! Now they’re saying 4-6! Oh well – that’s Maine!

Cordially,

Connie

· January 18th, 2010 at 4:08 pm · Link

Hi, Connie. You can mail me privately at maginme@hotmail.com. The maggie@maggierobinson.net address on the website contact should have sent you there automatically. We can grumble about the snow together off the blog!