Jan 8
2010
Tech…no

I’m not especially tech-savvy. I mean, it was a big deal when my dad bought me an electric typewriter to replace the old Royal upright I used to bang out my college papers on (both were purchased at the Salvation Army as I recall). My grandmother viewed phones with suspicion and used an egg beater instead of an electric mixer. We’re talking Dark Ages and Luddites here–my family was also the very last on the block to get a color TV. If black and white was good enough for Fred and Ginger dancing down the stairs, it was good enough for the Lanmans sitting on the couch.

While we’ve had a PC in the Robinson household now for 20+ years, my kids had priority. But since I started to putter around writing in 2003, I’ve taught myself a thing or two. Here, without further ado, is my Not-At-All-Ready-For-Prime-Time book trailer for Mistress by Mistake. Hollywood will not come calling any time soon, but I’ll admit I had fun fooling around. Just click on the link and be patient through the buffering. Beethoven makes everything better. 😉

MBMistake

Do you pay any attention to book trailers? What have you taught yourself to do lately?

18 comments to “Tech…no”

1. pjpuppymom
     · January 8th, 2010 at 9:41 am · Link

Great job, Maggie! I’m so eager for this book to be published and your video only ramped up the excitement!

I don’t actively seek out book trailers. Mostly, I watch the ones at author websites that I regularly visit or the ones that I hear about through word of mouth. (like Vanessa Barneveld’s trailer for Anna Campbell’s “Captive of Sin.”)
    Some of them are really cheesy and have almost turned me off the books they promote so it’s a fine line.

You’ve done a very good job with yours. I’m now on my way to tell all my friends about it!

~PJ

• Maggie Robinson
      1.1
       · January 8th, 2010 at 11:13 am · Link

Thanks, PJ! I know there can be all sorts of copyright issues w/ music and pics, so in the future I’m going to leave any trailers I might use to the pros…but it was kind of neat to throw this together. The process gave me even more respect for those audio-visual mavens who know what they’re doing and can get the music to cut off at the right spot, LOL.

2. Terri Osburn
     · January 8th, 2010 at 11:11 am · Link

I love it! I’ve sort of played with this kind of thing and then never went back to it. I have an idea for one that I’ll have to work on.

I’m not typically a fan of booktrailers. I can get much more out of a blurb or an excerpt. Part of it might be that I’ve spent so many years as a reader creating the images from the page in my head, I’m not keen on someone else creating them for me. 🙂

• Maggie Robinson
      2.1
       · January 8th, 2010 at 11:15 am · Link

Ter, I know what you mean. That’s why I’m a fan of headless covers. 😈

3. Bev
     · January 8th, 2010 at 1:17 pm · Link

Hi Maggie!! I love it!!! You did a great job. 🙂

Love the new site if I haven’t said it already. It’s fab. Love the colors.

Bev

• Maggie Robinson
      3.1
       · January 8th, 2010 at 2:34 pm · Link

Thanks so much, Bev. Did you know this site was originally designed for Tiff? (Not the banner, but the skin) I stole it from her, LOL.

· January 8th, 2010 at 3:17 pm · Link

I’m so impressed that you did this yourself, Maggie! I love it-and I love the color branding you have going on.

I’m with PJ on the trailers. I’ve enjoyed many of those done by authors whose books I read regularly, but I don’t seek them out. I don’t think I’d buy a book based on a trailer anymore than I buy books based on their covers. Part of the reading experience for me is the delight of the images the author’s words create in my head.

• Maggie Robinson
      4.1
       · January 8th, 2010 at 3:55 pm · Link

Janga, it was sort of a challenge to be able to get the feel of the whole book down in 1 minute and 40 seconds.

And my fave color is red, of course! I think the next mistress book will have to be blue, though, if it sticks to the plot. But that’s more than a year away…

5. Barbara Elness
     · January 8th, 2010 at 8:46 pm · Link

Great job, I loved the video. Yes, I pay attention to book trailers. They do help make the book come alive for me, that is if they’re done well. The only time I become annoyed is when they have writing that goes by too fast to read, and I can read fast, so pity those that can’t.

· January 8th, 2010 at 9:03 pm · Link

Barbara, I think the first book trailer I ever saw was for Kleypas’s Devil in Winter. It just gave me chills (no pun intended). I do think they’re an interesting way to get your message out there.

7. JK Coi
     · January 11th, 2010 at 8:54 pm · Link

Great job, Maggie! I love it!

I did a book trailer once and it turned out okay, but inevitably I had an opportunity to get someone to make one for me for free, and it was really professional so of course I used that one instead. 🙂

What have I taught myself lately? Patience. (still working on it)

• Maggie Robinson
      7.1
       · January 12th, 2010 at 7:58 am · Link

Patience? Hah. What’s that? I am getting even worse—I want insta-everything. Our computer’s been slow lately, and I want to throw it out the window.

8. Connie
     · January 18th, 2010 at 11:49 am · Link

Loved it! I love doing music videos using bollywood movies, so I appreciate the hard work you put into it.

Was wondering, were the scenes you showed part of your inspiration for the book? Do you find images online that go with what you imagine your people/places in the book to look like or did you find them later?

I just found your site and can’t wait to see more!

• Maggie Robinson
      8.1
       · January 18th, 2010 at 12:09 pm · Link

Thanks so much, Connie. I love Bride and Prejudice, not totally Bollywood but such fun.

It’s hard to remember…what came first, the chicken or the egg? I actually think in the case of the painting of “Charlotte,” I found the picture first and then used it to illustrate the book. The other images I found making the trailer—I’d kind of like the necklace! And the house isn’t bad either.

Somethimes I get absolutely lost looking through Google images to get inspiration. In the case of the last book I finished, I cut out one house and put it on the property of another and kept it on my desk. I’ve got a bunch of stuff on my bulletin board too, but when I’m hunched over the keyboard I can’t see all of it, LOL.

• Connie
        8.1.1
         · January 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm · Link

I know what you mean about posting a bunch of stuff for inspiration above your desk and then never really looking at it again! At least the thought is there, right?

Bride and Prejudice is one of my favorites too! Not exactly total Bollywood, but close enough to work! If you saw Slumdog Millionaire, that was NOT what I’m talking about! Typical bollywood movies are just like a good romance novel! There’s love at first sight, conflict, passionate looks and steamy touches (without any kissing or hanky panky) and just when you think it’s all gone sour the happily ever after ending we all want! Since you’re reading the subtitles anyway (aside from the occasional English thrown in to make you wonder what you just heard) it’s almost like reading a great book while you watch it…….okay did that make sense? LOL Here’s an example of one I made:

9. Connie
     · January 18th, 2010 at 1:47 pm · Link

forgot to include it!

Hope you like it!

• Maggie Robinson
      9.1
       · January 18th, 2010 at 2:14 pm · Link

Wow! The movie looks fantastic (such gorgeous women and clothes, LOL) and your music selection got me a little weepy. Well done!

• Connie
        9.1.1
         · January 18th, 2010 at 2:18 pm · Link

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it!!