Jan 19
2010
Bargain Basement!

highres_8074179
In completely unexpected, exciting and exotic news, Mistress by Mistake will be published in Thailand! Translated into Thai! Foreign rights have been sold, so eventually I’ll have a book I wrote that I can’t read. 😉

And FYI, Amazon is offering Mistress by Mistake for $11.20–in English– (cover price is $14) and Tempting Eden for $10.20 (cover price is $15) on pre-orders! What a deal. They’ve even got them grouped together. Is it embarrassing to say that I ordered some even though I get author copies? Here’s my Amazon author page , basically the same as the website biography.

I love a bargain. My dad was the shopper in our family, and he always came home with strange and wondrous things. It’s amusing to think of him, a chubby, nattily-dressed guy, pawing through the women’s clothes racks at S. Klein, the discount department store not far from where I grew up. He brought home stuff for my mother and me, guessing on sizes. Most of the time his selections were pretty good. I grew up with a ton of clothes, which dismayed my husband once we were married and I took up all the closet space.

S. Klein is closed now, but there’s always T.J. Maxx. Do you like to shop? Are you a bargain shopper or are you willing to pay full price? Do you know what the Thai alphabet looks like? (I had to Google. *g*)

I’ll post the ARC winners from the Vauxhall Vixen and Bradford Bunch posts on January 25. Everyone who signed up for the newsletter and gave me their mailing address should expect something, too. 🙂

18 comments to “Bargain Basement!”

1. Terri Osburn
     · January 22nd, 2010 at 10:25 am · Link

I shall place my pre-order today. I love a bargain!

I have a mental gauge when it comes to prices. Everything from jeans to spaghetti sauce. Not sure how this barometer works, but it’s based on the two questions “Is this worth this much to me?” and “Can I get this cheaper somewhere else?”

If either or both answers are “no” I’ll most likely pass it up.

Congrats on the foreign rights sale and I have no idea what the Thai language looks like. I do know I was dragged to a Thai restaurant once and it was horrible. Think I’ll stick with the English versions of things.

• Maggie Robinson
      1.1
       · January 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 am · Link

Terri, I saw an ad for jeans that were $189. $189!!!

I used to be so bad. If something was “on sale,” I would buy it even if I didn’t need it. No more. Since my husband usually does the grocery shopping, I always experience sticker shock when I go—can’t believe how much everything’s gone up!

I like Pad Thai, but I’ve only eaten in 3 Thai restaurants in my life, so I really don’t know what’s on the menu.

2. Connie
     · January 23rd, 2010 at 9:18 am · Link

Congrats again on the Thai version and on having your book on Amazon!! BTW Thai food is awesome and obviously their people have good taste in literature, so it’s a win win!

As for a bargain, I think your father and my mother might have been kindred spirits. My mother doesn’t think a day of shopping is complete unless she’s visited Marden’s. You know the place “Should have bought it when I saw it…” They do have some great deals there.

· January 23rd, 2010 at 9:22 am · Link

Connie, I bought some cute DKNY shoes in Marden’s in Waterville a couple of months ago. I’m thinking of signing up for their Twitter notification so I can drop everything and go shopping, LOL. We have a couch from Marden’s too.

• Connie
      3.1
       · January 24th, 2010 at 1:29 am · Link

You can get so many nice things there ( mardens) esp furniture! We got our king size bed there, and my neighbors bought thier living room furniture there, chairs, couch, end tables. It’s always nice when you find a deal!

TJ Max is great too. I always seem to find decent clothes there, and now toys for the munchkin!

BTW there is an awesome Thai food place right up the street from Mardens in Waterville called Pad Thai Too….. Highly recommend it! The food there is great! When you get your copy of your book in Thai you can celebrate with some great pad thai from pad thai too! hahaha oh I kill me.

• Maggie Robinson
        3.1.1
         · January 24th, 2010 at 8:35 am · Link

Maybe I’ll celebrate early when I go to W’ville for my next dental appointment. Thanks for the tip!

4. Tiffany Clare
     · January 23rd, 2010 at 9:59 am · Link

I’ll bargain hunt so long as it doesn’t include long lines, tons of people crowding my space and the deal is really worth it. I don’t do boxing day shopping. I won’t drive over the border to Buffalo to get 600$ worth of clothes for 300$. But if I see something I normally like on sale, I’ll get it. I do rush out to the bookstore, though when they have their, buy three books, get the fourth for free.

I do hunt for grocery sales. I spend an obscene amount of money on food. Partly because I’m really picky (have to have choice cuts in meat, and like meats not always easy to find and usually not cheap: Rabbit, Goat, Sheep, Bison), and because I love food. LOL

Very, very exciting about Thai rights. And count me among those who love Thai food!

· January 23rd, 2010 at 12:44 pm · Link

Tiff…I don’t know what to say. Your meat choices make me want to be a vegetarian, LOL. But I’m not big on meat anyway—I eat a lot of chicken when I eat proper protein at all. Love to order seafood when I go out to eat. Tomorrow I’m making a turkey dinner (and yes, the turkey breast was on sale).

I grew up in New York, and there were some stores that had chaotic open dressing rooms, where you saw way too much of the other customers. Count me in as another shopper who can’t do long lines or crowds. I’m tempted to sit on the floor.

6. Irisheyes
     · January 24th, 2010 at 3:00 pm · Link

Congrats on the Thai translation, Maggie! The more the merrier, huh?!

I am definitely not a bargain shopper! I hate to shop, but when I do I find what I want and buy it – drives my husband nuts (his mother was the exact opposite – just my luck). My best friend can tell you the price of milk, eggs, bread and any type of meat at 3 or 4 different grocery stores at any given time. She also cuts coupons – something I’ve never gotten into. I attribute it all to just being lazy.

Although, in my defense, I do have to say that my tastes are very simple (not a jewelry lover or name brand whore – Coach purses, anyone?!) and the older I get the more cost conscience I’ve become. Since I’ve always hated to shop that is usually how our family saved money – I just didn’t go out and buy anything. LOL Now, I at least try to buy everything on sale to ease my conscience.

7. JK Coi
     · January 24th, 2010 at 3:05 pm · Link

YAY!! I’m so excited to see what the cover of a Thai Maggie Robinson romance will look like! 🙂

I love a good bargain, but I’m lazy. While I will negotiate prices with people when I want something, if it requires me to spend extra time and gas to travel all across town for the best price, I’ll probably just end up paying the higher price instead.

That being said, I refuse to pay full price for anything. It may not be THE BEST price, but it’s not full price

· January 24th, 2010 at 3:46 pm · Link

JK, I never thought of that…they’ll probably change my beautiful cover! With the price of gas, I shop locally all the time…Walmart it is.

Irish, I just spent the last 2 years pretty much buying nothing, which I discovered was not only good for my wallet but my soul. I still have way too much stuff!

9. Julie M.
     · February 1st, 2010 at 3:48 am · Link

Maggie,

Just pre-ordered your published books through Amazon. I am a regular customer. Can’t wait! Congrats & Good Luck!

· February 1st, 2010 at 8:10 am · Link

Julie, thanks so much. I hope you like them…the covers are pretty anyhow! 😉 A friend of mine sent me a link that they’re available for sale in India for 527 rupees, also at a discount!

11. Julie M.
     · February 3rd, 2010 at 3:14 am · Link

We are going to India in March. We always check out bookstores in our travels. We will check this out and take a photo. How’s that?

· February 3rd, 2010 at 3:43 am · Link

Julie, ha! Boy, you guys go everywhere, don’t you? I don’t think it will be in stores yet (release date is April 27), but it was available for pre-order at some Indian discount book site. I had to figure out the rupees/dollar conversion –$11 and change. When I look at my stats I am just gobsmacked that I have so many international visitors. I can look at a map of the world and see people have come here from all over. The web is amazing. 🙂

• Julie M.
      12.1
       · April 26th, 2010 at 4:48 pm · Link

Maggie,

I just received notification thatmy pre-ordered Mistress by Mistake is in the mail from Amazon. Can’t wait to get it.

13. Phuket Condo Girl
     · May 16th, 2010 at 5:44 am · Link

All people worried about the circumstances in Thailands capital, let me advice you, don’t go there!

• Julie M.
      13.1
       · May 18th, 2010 at 5:47 pm · Link

The State Department has issued a no travel alert for Bankok…used to be a fairly safe country to travel.