Feb 9
2010
Cruising Along

I finished Not Quite a Courtesan and sent it off. NQAC is a novella which will be part of the Kensington Brava anthology Lords of Passion in December 2010. (A perfect Christmas present!) I am absolutely thrilled to be sharing the same cover with Virginia Henley and Kate Pearce! It was a lot of fun to write, and I hope my editor likes it. Here’s a snippet where Darius and Pru meet:

The man on the step was tall. Dark. Too handsome. “You!” she said. “I am glad you are here. We have business to discuss.”

“We certainly do, madam, and I will not be put off like some other members of my family. But the discussion is not for outdoors where all the world can hear us.” He brushed by her, and Pru became acutely aware she was the only one in the house. But being alone with her cousin’s husband could not compromise her, could it? They stood for a minute in the front hall glowering at each other, although the man did not get the full benefit of her glower, veiled as she was. Pru retreated into the parlor, and Mr. Shaw followed.

He took up far too much room, looking out of place amidst the pink and purple stripes and patterns. To her horror, he picked up the reticule she had left on the sofa. The fortune hunter! But instead of shaking out the few coins she had, he slipped a velvet bag into it.

“This will have to satisfy you. It’s rare and valuable and old. Just like you.”

“I beg your pardon!” Pru said, stung. She was but nine-and-twenty. Oldish , but not yet dead.

“I mean no disrespect. But you must admit you’re past the pinnacle of your profession.”

Her profession? Good lord, did this man take her to be one of the courtesans of Courtesan Court? “Well it is you who is old and addled, if you cannot even recognize your own mistress,” Pru said with asperity. She tore the veil from her face. “And may I remind you that you have a young wife, who, God willing, will long outlive you and outlast the ignominy of being married to you! Only God knows why, but she wants you back. You may have a pretty face, but your character leaves a great deal to be desired, sir! If you do anything—anything at all to ever hurt or discomfort her again—leave the top to the toothpowder tin off, aim carelessly into the chamberpot, snore in your sleep—you will answer to me!”

To Pru’s dismay, the man smiled slowly at her. He had shockingly white teeth—his toothpowder had been used to good effect—and an elegant crease on his left cheek, too sophisticated to be called a mere dimple. For twenty-three or so seconds she could see why Sophy had been smitten.

“I take it you are not Carmela de Castro.”

Pru felt the blood rush to her cheeks. “Of course I am not!” She took a step backward. “And you are not my cousin Sophy’s husband, are you?”

In other news, I’m revising Mistress by Midnight, scheduled for Spring 2011. And I’m going on a cruise for the first time ever! We’re flying to Tampa this weekend and getting on a ship bound for two ports in Mexico. I have a new passport with the most wretchedly hideous picture you will never see. So I won’t be back to blogging until the last week in February, when I’ll spill all the details of my Courtesan Court Contest!

Happy Valentine’s Day, too. Any special plans? Have you ever been on a cruise? Any advice to keep me from falling overboard?

13 comments to “Cruising Along”

1. Irisheyes
     · February 9th, 2010 at 2:41 pm · Link

I love the snippet, Maggie! leave the the top to the toothpowder tin off… I guess some things are pretty constant, huh?! 🙂

Have an awesome time on your cruise. I went on 2 back in the 80’s – St. Thomas on one and Alaska on the other. Seems like a lifetime ago but I did have loads of fun. My DH wants to take a cruise with a group of friends – maybe someday.

Just make sure your husband and you are on good terms and that your life insurance policy has lapsed and I think you’ll be fairly safe. 😉

· February 9th, 2010 at 3:00 pm · Link

Thanks, Irish! I personally like the aiming into the chamber pot. *g* Thank goodness for Clorox.

I think our policies are paid up. I keep thinking of that couple on their honeymoon, and the husband’s mysterious disappearance…sounds like the plot of a romantic suspense novel!

3. Tiffany Clare
     · February 9th, 2010 at 11:24 pm · Link

Have fun on your cruise! So happy to see release dates! I love M by Midnight! Readers are in for a really amazing treat!

And woot on a release date for the anthology story! YAY!

· February 9th, 2010 at 11:32 pm · Link

Thanks so much, Tiff! Trying to update the site with the new info…wish I was a code whiz. 😕

5. JK Coi
     · February 10th, 2010 at 2:24 am · Link

Love the excerpt!! You’re going to have such a fabulous time! Make sure to bring some pictures back to post here when you get home

· February 10th, 2010 at 4:35 am · Link

Add another to the list of those who love the snippet, which does what a snippet should and leaves readers hungry for more. I think I need a separate book calendar to keep up with your releases. 🙂

You and Mr. R. have a wonderful tome on your cruise. It’s a great time for it. My sister just told me that Georgia is now only one of three states without snow, and it’s getting colder here with snow forecast for Friday. Brrr! Mexico sounds marvelous.

· February 10th, 2010 at 11:10 am · Link

Janga, as I was driving home yesterday, the weatherman and the news anchor on the radio were complaining we “needed” snow. Uh, no. Of course for the people whose livelihood depends on it, I suppose we do, but I’m happy we’ve missed those giant storms. I’m looking forward to seeing green things (and not my husband if he gets seasick, LOL). I hope you like the whole novella too!

JK, not sure I’m reading to put my bathing suited body on the world wide web. It will be definite diet time once we get back. 🙄

· February 11th, 2010 at 11:20 am · Link

😳 My wish for you & Mr. R. was supposed to be for a “wonderful time on your cruise.” I think producing a large and learned book should wait until after the cruise. 😆

9. JK Coi
     · February 11th, 2010 at 12:32 pm · Link

LOL, we don’t need to see you in your bathing suit, but a picture of that perfect sunset would be just the thing to make me forget the snow I’m stuck in 🙂

10. Terrio
     · February 12th, 2010 at 6:18 pm · Link

Don’t lean too far over the side.

Couldn’t resist.

Love the excerpt. Have a great time on the cruise. And I’m with JK, defintely would love to see pics of the scenery. Like maybe any cute staff members. Just a suggestion.

· February 12th, 2010 at 11:59 pm · Link

Ter, I’m not even sure I want to get off the boat. John wants to snorkel, but I can see myself writing in the sun while every one is off doing adventures. We’ll see. 🙂

12. Yona
     · May 17th, 2010 at 5:05 am · Link

HI there, i am busy in surfing with net for my site. I want to keep all ideas for my website. Thanks for the great post on that. I will come here to check out the development.

13. Brandon Rodriguez
     · June 1st, 2010 at 2:41 pm · Link

Why, when I press the `Print’ button on this page, it automatically redirects… to the same page?