Feb 23
2010
An Adjustment Period

Well, I’m home, but my brain is definitely still on vacation. For those of you waiting for me to send out a newsletter and post my contest, please wait just a tiny bit longer. (Breaking news! Correction! Newsletter has been sent and check the Contest page. I’m rallying…slowly.) I’m finding it disorienting to be back at work—it’s like the week off wiped away all my library skills, LOL.

And now that I’m in my own cozy writing room, I have page proofs to read of Margaret Rowe’s Tempting Eden to keep me busy until their deadline, March 4. The manuscript came in the middle of our trip, and I was reluctant to open it up on the shiny new blue netbook we bought before we left. But when I did—so pretty! I love the font Berkley picked and the curlicues on the chapters.

I also discovered that Alan Ayers, the artist who created my beautiful Mistress by Mistake cover, also painted Tempting Eden’s! No wonder I couldn’t decide which one was more gorgeous, LOL.

The netbook is so damn cute. It fits into my (kinda large) handbag and is light enough for me to carry and not grumble. I’m still getting used to it, but it beats dragging along my husband’s laptop on trips.

Speaking of which, the cruise exceeded all our expectations. I relaxed by the pool while my husband ATVed through the jungle to see a Mayan ruin. I made two visits to the Elemis spa (you should see my red toes!) and ate way too much. I’m not getting on the scale for the foreseeable future. I also drank my first—and last—martini.

And quite by surprise, we were asked at the last minute to dine at the captain’s table the night of the formal dinner. Here’s proof that I can clean up pretty well…or they were really desperate!

We stumbled out of our stateroom and were approached by a crew member to replace a couple who had gotten sick, so we were pinch hitters. I did manage to tell people I wrote hot historical romances—the captain looked a little shocked. 😉 We dined with folks from Georgia, North Carolina and Missouri. If they’ve found this website, hi!

So, the question of the day—are you a laptop or PC person? Anyone have a netbook and experience with Windows 7, which I have not had time to explore? Have a fun travel story you’d like to share?

9 comments to “An Adjustment Period”

1. JK Coi
     · February 23rd, 2010 at 12:37 pm · Link

I like Windows 7!

Glad to have you back, Maggie! 🙂

2. Irisheyes
     · February 23rd, 2010 at 2:42 pm · Link

Welcome home, Maggie! I’m so glad you and John had a great time. Makes me want to pull out my credit card and make a phone call. Especially since I’m sitting here watching more and more little tiny white flakes fall from the sky. I’m ready for Spring!

I’m a PC lady myself. I used to think it would be so much fun to get a laptop and sit in bed and write away. It isn’t as fun as I imagined. It is much easier and quicker for me to type while I’m sitting upright at a desk. I think the convenience of being able to bring it everywhere is great, but I guess I’m just not coordinated enough to do the laptop thing on my lap – has to be on a hard surface.

3. Renee
     · February 23rd, 2010 at 10:40 pm · Link

I’m glad you had a wonderful time.

I’m not sure if I’m a laptop or a PC. We had a PC and it crashed while I was in the middle of a semester. My parents gifted me with a laptop, this was right before Vista emerged. And that is what I have been using ever since, but I have to tell you, it rarely moves from my desk.

· February 23rd, 2010 at 11:05 pm · Link

Irish, dig out that card! John and I would go again in a heartbeat. We think it would be so much fun to get our (grown) kids to come next time.

Renee and Irish, I agree about the flat surface. I’m also not really coordinated without a mouse. I think I’ll always prefer my desk and PC, but now with the netbook I don’t feel cut off from the world when we travel. But I sense a Blackberry in my future, too…if only I win the lottery—more cruises! More toys!

JK, I’m going to have to pick up tips from you about Windows 7. I haven’t had time to do a tutorial to see what I can do. I’ve got XP at home. Really, I probably am using only a small percentage of its capability (just like my brain, LOL).

5. Tiffany Clare
     · February 25th, 2010 at 10:45 am · Link

Glad to have you back, too, Maggie!!!!

I’m a macbook person.

· February 26th, 2010 at 12:13 am · Link

We have Macs at school, Tiff, and I have not warmed up to them. I think it just depends on what you’re used to. (And I think I’m glad to be back! 🙂 )

7. Cristen
     · February 26th, 2010 at 12:25 am · Link

Definitely a laptop girl! As I look around my living room I can see four. One is a cute little red netbook running a Linux OS. I’m using a white and red molecule patterned Dell laptop running Windows 7. Hubby has a macbook (but is using the netbook because *gasp* the macbook crashed and burned and its NOT a windows!?). Finally there is the ancient (7 year old) HP laptop which doesn’t ever get turned on anymore. We packed up our desktop PC years ago and haven’t missed it in the slightest.

8. Terrio
     · February 26th, 2010 at 5:37 pm · Link

I have a desktop at work and a laptop at home. PC all the way. I can’t get used to the MAC, and I’m too old to learn new tricks. 😎 I have Vista at home and Windows 7 on my new comp at work. So far, I haven’t noticed much difference. And other than drivers not available for certain devices to talk to each other, I haven’t had any problems.

Happy to have you back and good to hear you had a wonderful time. The picture looks great!

· February 27th, 2010 at 11:43 pm · Link

Terri, I’ve got Windows XP on my desk PC and still haven’t done the tutorial on Windows 7 on the netbook. I know there’s sooo much I don’t know—I taught myself pretty much everything about computers (which means I know nothing, LOL). I marvel at the kids at school who don’t know what a typewriter is!

Cristen, holy cow, that’s a lot of computers! My old PC is upstairs in a closet—all my original writing is on it and I will never throw it away, altho it crashed constantly. I keep thinking it will be a good spare for people who don’t want to go online…hmm, who would that be?