Aug 2
2010
Summer Highlights

Going to a writers’ conference has sapped my strength for writing! So I thought I’d share a list and take a little break from blogging this month–we are spending next week at a vacation compound with about a million friends and relatives and without TV or an Internet connection, and later in the month are going to Las Vegas for my yearly Roast-in-the-Sun-and-Read fest. Speaking of heat, Orlando was blazing, but meeting so many wonderful people warmed my heart even more.

Here, in no particular order (except for #1) are my positive experiences at RWA10:

1. Seeing Vixens J.K.Coi and Tiffany Clare for the first time ever. I am adopting them as extra adorable Robinson girls. Tiff (see above; thanks to PJ for the picture) and Kris made the days fly by and the nerves dissipate, and they are the cutest things ever. It would have been perfect if Ely had been in Florida too, but next year in NY!

2. Meeting the legendary Virginia Henley waiting for the Kensington tables at the awards ceremony. I introduced myself as the very junior contributor for Lords of Passion and she was graciousness itself.

3.Being in a giant room with 2000 like-minded individuals who made me tear up and laugh during the awards speeches, and realize the power of romance. I never expected to be so moved–it was way better than the Academy Awards!

4. Spending quality time with my family and friends, yet still managing to sign books both at the literacy booksigning (over $62,000 raised!) and Berkley event, go to three cocktail parties, an agent dinner, an appointment with my Berkley editor, take three interesting workshops, and meet countless absolutely fabulous women in four days. I’m sure some packed even more goodness into their schedules, because there was a dizzying array of possibilities, but I think I paced myself pretty well. That doesn’t mean I’m not tired and don’t have a ton of unpacking and laundry to do. 😉

5. Looking forward already to RWA11 in New York!

I have lots of new writers to discover and the rest of the summer to savor. So, as the old song says, see you in September–unless something earth-shattering happens. I’ll continue the Tempting Eden giveaway through the month if you tell me how you’re spending the rest of your summer in the comments.

20 comments to “Summer Highlights”

1. Armenia
     · August 3rd, 2010 at 11:19 pm · Link

It sounds like you had an exhausting, but wonderfully great time! I’m on a family vacation right now in Florida and I’m taking a few moments for “mommy time” right now. I am enjoying the sunny hot weather and beautiful beaches. But not looking forward to the 2 day drive home on Friday.

So, it’ll be getting the kids ready for school with new clothes, and school supplies. I’m sure we’ll get some swimming in there,too.

Have a nice rest of the Summer, Maggie.

armiefox at yahoo dot com

2. Cristen
     · August 4th, 2010 at 9:33 pm · Link

The rest of my summer involves PRK laser eye surgery… so I can read your books much faster! 😉

But seriously, I’m done vacationing this summer as I went on two vacations already in June (Ireland and NYC). Now its just work and time off for eye healing.

· August 5th, 2010 at 7:39 am · Link

Armenia, Florida? Gasp. It was sooo hot in Orlando I left the hotel complex as little as possible. My kids did Disney (Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom) and they said they’d never sweat so much in their lives, LOL. Hope you had a wonderful vacation and have a safe trip home!

Cristen, my middle daughter plans to have that eye surgery soon. Let me know how it goes for you (and obviously I hope it’s a total success and you have a speedy recovery!). I haven’t been to Ireland in years, and am now jealous. 😉

4. Irisheyes
     · August 6th, 2010 at 2:47 pm · Link

You’re a star, honey! I’ve seen you all over the web this past week – looking like you were having a great time. I hope you found some time to relax and take it all in! I still can’t believe you all survived the heat. Did it rain? I thought I saw scattered T-storms all week, too. UGH!

Just got back from a little 5 day trip with the hubby and kids to a cottage. Did some tubing, water skiing, and hanging with the family. Now it’s time to start thinking “Back To School!” I just found out our state is giving a no-taxes break on all school supplies and clothing until the 15th so I really have to get into school suppy shopping mode. I so hate to shop! Send me some good thoughts!

Enjoy your vacation, Maggie! And congrats on surviving your first RWA conference!

5. Irisheyes
     · August 6th, 2010 at 2:48 pm · Link

Forgot to say you and Tiff look soooo cute! PJ should rent herself out!

• Maggie Robinson
      5.1
       · August 7th, 2010 at 8:07 am · Link

Thanks, Irish! I saw all those pictures and know for sure I’m going on a diet for NYC. Of course, I said that last year too, LOL. We’ll see if I’m successful.

It was hotter in Florida than I’ve ever experienced anywhere…made me happy to be back in Maine. Of course, I’ll feel differently come winter.

6. Maureen
     · August 6th, 2010 at 8:31 pm · Link

The rest of my summer involves getting my son ready to go away to college. I keep writing lists and I hope I don’t forget anything.

• Maggie Robinson
      6.1
       · August 7th, 2010 at 8:04 am · Link

Maureen, I keep seeing back to school things every time I go shopping. I remember outfitting my guys when they went off to college…it was quite a production going up the stairs with boxes and bags. My youngest daughter’s school had a great system. Each new student was assigned a team of upperclassmen who helped them move in…much easier on these old knees. 😉

7. Carol L.
     · August 6th, 2010 at 9:42 pm · Link

Well the good thing seems to be you had a ball. 🙂
    I’ll have to make it to New York. The rest of my summer will be relaxing with day trips to the shore to see family and friends and reading a lot of books.
    Carol L.
    Lucky4750@aol.com

• Maggie Robinson
      7.1
       · August 7th, 2010 at 8:08 am · Link

Carol, I love the beach! I’ll have to make do with lake water, though. I’m bringing books. Am reading the latest Loretta Chase which I never want to end. 🙂

8. azteclady
     · August 7th, 2010 at 10:02 am · Link

*waving* Hello, Ms Robinson… erm… Rowe… erm… 😀

It was very cool to finally meet you face-to-face.

The rest of my summer involves hoping I’ll recover fully from conference brain–and working, working, working. What can I say? No rest for the wicked, right? 😉

• Maggie Robinson
      8.1
       · August 7th, 2010 at 3:15 pm · Link

Someone gave me a bookmark with the witch from Wizard of Oz that says. “You say wicked like it’s a bad thing.” *g* I’m still slowly recovering from last week and must rally because I’m on another break from real life at a vacation camp starting today. At least there will be tons of people to share the kitchen duties. 🙂

9. sue brandes
     · August 12th, 2010 at 9:55 am · Link

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We are just staying close to home this summer. Just going to some thrift stores and garage sales. Alos love going to our zoo and wildlife center.
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

• Maggie Robinson
      9.1
       · August 13th, 2010 at 3:34 pm · Link

Sue, I have to make myself drive by yard sales—I used to be addicted. Some of my favorite odd knick-knacks were purchased at garage sales, though.

10. Cristen
     · August 17th, 2010 at 7:20 pm · Link

Maggie, PRK Laser Eye surgery went well! Painless too! Even the recovery was pretty smooth – I didn’t need the pain pills they gave me at all! Now I’m just waiting for my eyes to become crisp. I see everything, but its a bit blurry. Hope your daughter’s is successful!!

• Maggie Robinson
      10.1
       · August 18th, 2010 at 6:43 am · Link

So glad to hear it! Jessie has an appointment this week with her eye doctor to get the ball rolling. I got inspired by all the eye stuff to get new glasses…I’m too chicken for the surgery. 🙂

• Cristen
        10.1.1
         · August 19th, 2010 at 8:05 pm · Link

Maggie, its amazing to see unaided! I keep thinking I need to take out my contacts every night! Your daughter will be glad when she gets it done! I did a complete write up on my experience on my facebook page, which I think you should be able to see.

11. Jackie W
     · August 23rd, 2010 at 1:42 pm · Link

I can remember going to a Romance Writers Conference once in Mesa, Arizona and at the banquet one evening the author Elaine Coffman sat at our table and I was very excited to talk to her. It was a lot of fun for a reader , such as I, to do that.

12. Giuseppina
     · August 26th, 2010 at 1:20 am · Link

Well, I spent the beginning of my summer by going on a cruise to Bermuda. I wish I was ending my summer that way or even going back to Sicily. NY beaches cannot compare to the beaches of Bermuda or the Mediterranean.

So I’m spending the rest of my summer by babysitting and reading. I almost wish it was the summer of ’11 already. I really want to meet you and your fellow writers at the RWA, here in NY.

PS- I loved both of your books! Can’t wait for the next ones!

13. JOYE
     · August 27th, 2010 at 6:00 pm · Link

My summer has been a very hot one here in Arizona so I’m basically staying indoors to keep cool and doing a very lot of reading…my favorite pastime. Love your stories.